Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up a 2016 Scat earlier this year, been wanting to do a few things with it but the craziness of the world took over. Getting back on track and wanted to get some comments on a DIY project and the clear bra.

Not seeing a ton of outlets to purchase the base pre-cut material except e-bay.

Anyone do this themselves and if so, how difficult? Typical weekend warrior general DIY guy, so wanted to see if it was worth doing on my own or not.

High gloss black car - so really want to protect the front end.

Cheers-

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
16,787 Posts

·
Registered
2015 SRT 392
2,698 Posts
I've never done it on any of our cars, but have done it on my Buddy's Impala and it wasn't that hard to do. You just have to make sure that you use enough liquid (we followed these instructions and it worked Great) and don't be in a hurry.

3M installation directions...........

We didn't use 3M, but we did use pre-cut pieces and while I hope that it doesn't sound like I'm bragging, they turned out like a Pro did them. I just took my time and made sure that there was enough liquid down, the film was stretched and then squeegeed out enough. Depending on your comfort level to try new things, I think that you could do it yourself (with a friend helping to stretch or spray or both).

I'd try it on Ruby (our SRT 392) but we have the factory silver stripes and I'm not comfortable enough to hand trim around them.

Good Luck and Please let us know how it turns out.

·
Registered
2018 Dodge Challenger T/A Plus in Yellow Jacket w/5.7L and A8 automatic
975 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Appreciate the info. Working on a few quotes to get it done professionally and will see. I have a few friends who have done work before so may try and venture it on my own.

Cheers-

·
Registered
2015 SRT 392
2,698 Posts
It can get expensive for good ppf product. The 3M, X-Pel or SunTek products are the most expensive but they self heal (to a point) and are Top Notch products.

I got an estimate for Ruby which included the entire hood (custom cutting around the stripes), the entire front end (complete fenders included), the a-pillars and the front part of the roof (also cutting around the stripes) and behind the rear wheel openings to protect against rocks or rubber that might fly. ;)

The price was $1700 for X-Pel Ultimate (the best that they make and self heals), which to me is alot of money, but I also think that it is a good price for the amount of work (custom cutting around the stripes) and film that they're using.

They do 300-500 cars per year, so maybe that's why their pricing is good too, but that's just a guess. I posted up the price just to give you an idea of the cost, but it might be different in your area (maybe even cheaper, but ALWAYS check out the references if you decide to use an installer).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts