Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I love this car, 2021 SXT base 7”radio no amp though. First thing I gotta do is some new speakers and I found some JL Audio 3.5” from Crutch. For some reason I had it in my head they would work when I ordered but when the box arrived I noticed the 3 ohm on the box. So from all the forum talk here I’ve learned stock is 8 ohm. I’m not sure if I should return these or just go for it. I thought maybe I could make up the math by ordering door speakers that have higher ohms but all I see are 4 ohms. I don’t want to go chopping up the wiring for an amp just yet (warranty). I don’t need a lot, just some good speakers for Metal. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2011 SXT Built in the Canada Plant
2,619 Posts
Sadly the Stereo / Speakers in the Challengers by Chrysler was one of the least thought of things, then they went to the Amplified systems and even most of them IMHO don't cut it too well. If Crutchfield said those will work in your Car then they should be fine. Sucks the Stereo Systems of newer Gen Cars are not like those of the 80's....

Loved my old Pioneer Super Tuner with Sony Speakers no Amp was Needed and have the best Audio / Frequency Range. Not to mention it was
plenty powerful in my 77 Monte Carlo and the one I installed in my GNX.

·
Premium Member
The Bacon Hauler (‘12 Cop Charger)
9,761 Posts
I would go ahead and install them, but while doing it, wire up some inline resistors to bring them closer inline to the original 8 ohm set.

I have done this for some 4 ohm replacements I have and it works quite well. The only caveat is that you want the resistors to add to the speaker’s resistance, so you need to wire it inline on either the + or - wire, not both like you would if installing a LOC or something.

Reactions: Tatted1969

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sadly the Stereo / Speakers in the Challengers by Chrysler was one of the least thought of things, then they went to the Amplified systems and even most of them IMHO don't cut it too well. If Crutchfield said those will work in your Car then they should be fine. Sucks the Stereo Systems of newer Gen Cars are not like those of the 80's....

Loved my old Pioneer Super Tuner with Sony Speakers no Amp was Needed and have the best Audio / Frequency Range. Not to mention it was
plenty powerful in my 77 Monte Carlo and the one I installed in my GNX.
I hear ya, I remember going to my first concert “Sammy Hagar” and we had hooked up home stereo speakers to my Ford LTD. ahhh the good ol days. To touch on the issue at hand I did call Crutch and mentioned the ohm situation. He found a note in the computer regarding the discrepancy and needless to say a return is in the process. I think I’ll probably take it somewhere and have an amp and speakers put in. I’m too old to be trying to figure all this out. I just wanna drive “not 55”

I would go ahead and install them, but while doing it, wire up some inline resistors to bring them closer inline to the original 8 ohm set.

I have done this for some 4 ohm replacements I have and it works quite well. The only caveat is that you want the resistors to add to the speaker’s resistance, so you need to wire it inline on either the + or - wire, not both like you would if installing a LOC or something.
Nuke, thanks for the advice but I’m not the guy to go noodling around that stuff. I’ve started a return and I’ll have some time to do my homework and be better prepared.

But I have my Black Perforated American Flag for the back window coming so I’m stoked about that. Pics soon to come.

·
Registered
360 Posts
If Dodge is consistent in the lower end gear, like mine...
The front left/right signal goes to 2 speakers each, in a paralleled circuit.
So a 8 and 4 wired that way make a 2.66 system or zone.
A 3 in the mix would be even lower.
The power delivered will be opposite of the ohms - 4 gets (uses) twice what the 8 gets.

Search through my name for a good solution for the limited power and positions we have, if you can live without 'rear' sound.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If Dodge is consistent in the lower end gear, like mine...
The front left/right signal goes to 2 speakers each, in a paralleled circuit.
So a 8 and 4 wired that way make a 2.66 system or zone.
A 3 in the mix would be even lower.
The power delivered will be opposite of the ohms - 4 gets (uses) twice what the 8 gets.

Search through my name for a good solution for the limited power and positions we have, if you can live without 'rear' sound.
Thanks Tim, I will. It’s all about Front Stage for me.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Great, I agree.
In that case you have 4 signals, and 4 positions.
Front (doors, use existing wires) and dash (leave OE wires hanging, easily run new wires, no hinges! to go through) wired directly to rear signals/amp output.
I can easily keep track in my head how to 'balance' my fader - the rear display is really the dash, and the front is still the doors
This also gets you back into the modern, 2 1/2, 3, or so ohm or so that are relative cheap because they are popular.
With a single speaker on each channel in the Dodge radio does fine.
I pushed the dash up a 1/2 inch in size easily - 2 minutes of dremel.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts