Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Want to see if anyone else knows anything about this. I just noticed it today so I dont know if it came from the dealer like this, or this is something that recently happened (bought April 19th). Its a 2011 SE. Hopefully the pictures can help. The 3rd brake light is not flush with the rear windshield. I can see how this can be like this just because, but I can push it up and it looks like it maybe was suctioned to the window and has lost its grip. The gap is very small (I can barely get my pinky finger in there), but if this is not normal, then I want to fix it. Go check your challengers guys! Thanks for the help and solutions on how to fix it without "rigging" it.

The last 2 pictures show me not pressing up against it, and then me pushing it up against the window.

Attachments

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Sorry for the really bad angles, didnt know how else to do it.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No body knows about this? Or I guess no body has this problem?

·
Premium Member
479 Posts
Mine is the same way, I think this is normal and the rubber is just there to make sure it doesn't squeak or rub when/if it touches the glass

·
Premium Member
312 Posts
I think this has been discussed multiple times - in fact, I think I might have (1) posted about it and (2) responded to other posts about how I fixed it.

Can't say for sure about the '11, but in my '10, there are two separate plastic pieces near the third brake light - the one you are pushing up on and then one that kind of covers the back of that one. This bigger one is the one that clips up and it's supposed to hold enough pressure on the other one to hold it tight against the window. In some cars, it works and in others, its too loose. Mine was one of the loose ones.

To fix mine, I went to Home Depot and bought a $5 roll of foam tape. I unclipped the outer cover and pulled it down enough to put one piece of the tape across the width of the cover, then clipped it back in (with the tape in place, it was quite a bit harder to clip up). Once clipped, the added thickness of the tape keeps the 2nd cover pushed nice and hard against the glass, problem solved.

I think the only alternative would be to take it to the dealer and see if they'll do anything under warranty, but my guess is you'll end up in the same place you are now. For $5, it was an easy call for me, and since you can't see the tape from inside or outside, I didn't see any downside.

FYI, we just bought a 2011 Chrysler 200 for my wife, her car had the exact same issue, light from that high-mounted brake light was "leaking" into the car. Fixed it the exact same way.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts