Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2009 Challenger SRT8, I don't have the money to get a roll bar but I'd like to install 4 point harnesses. How can I install them with stock SRT8 seats, no roll bar, and not deleting my back seats? (Sometimes I need the back seats for passengers and I'd like to keep them in) is this even possible? Thanks

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Short answer is dont, unless the car is a dedicated track car.
How will you access the rear seat with belts running off the top of the front seats and back into the rear seat area?
You will need a proper harness bar and belts designed for street use. Take a look at the factory demon set up for clues. There is plenty of info online for doing it right..and wrong. "Right" isnt cheap.
4 point (or 5 pnt if running a sub belt) requires the shoulder belts to be positioned at the proper angle to the drivers seated position. This is very important, you cant just run the belts thru the headrest, between post, then down to bolt to the floor behind the seat and call it good. With a 4 point set up, during an collision, your upper torso will not fold to the side & center of vehicle, as with a normal DOT approved 3 point is designed to do. The 4 point keeps your shoulders/chest/back so snug in the seat, it can cause serious back issues and spinal compression in an accident if not done properly. Also, "race" belts do not have the same built in webbing 'stretch' as DOT belts, thus during an impact on the street, can be a real health issue as well. I wont even get into rescue response in the event of a really bad accident on the road, a non DOT set up in a street car can be problematic and your insurance post accident, is going to take major issue with such an installation.
The "racing" driver restraint systems work (in race cars), because its a "system". Roll cage mandates a helmet (so you dont bust your skull), 4 & 5 point belts require a harness bar and proper seat. Properly belts require the correct mounts, buckles, etc. Its really complicated. Do your research. please.

Reactions: A Guy

·
Registered
Furious Fuchsia 2010 Challenger R/T Classic A5
430 Posts
Look at Schroth as plenty of guys run their simple 4-point harness. The lap belt connects to your front factory belts and the shoulder straps attach to the rear seat belts. Super easy to click it in and out. Just call Schroth to check on the length you'd need.

Reactions: A Guy

·
Registered
2013 Challenger RT
149 Posts
below is what you're looking for. let me know how it work for you. i found out that i dont need any power for what im doing with the car (sure it would be nice to more on the straight aways) but doing corners in the twisty without harness is adding more work to re-position my body when sliding around seat.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Most harness bars are not DOT certified. This means a cop could give you a seatbelt ticket if wearing them while on the road.

Many tracks do not approve 4 point and require 5 point when not using the OE 3 point...if that makes any sense :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts