Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my R/T to firestone and had a 4 wheel alignment done a week ago. The car had some constant pull to the left and some slight wear to the inside tread of all 4 tires before the alignment. They showed me the alignment readings before and after and everything looked good according to the paperwork.
I saw the vehicle go up on the lift a couple of times so they were doing something under the car and the mechanic road tested it afterwards.
But to me the car doesn't really drive any differently. The air in the tires has been double checked.
Should I take the car back and complain or is something else a miss?

·
Registered
677 Posts
Usually what I do, is adjust air pressure a little. I like the passenger side a pound or two lower than driver side. That and the crown on the road should allow you to lightly drift to the right. Has to be good road, which is few and far between these days.
You can swap the two front tires, left to right, see if the pull goes to the right, ( passenger side) . I like doing that myself and leave the tire shop out of it. If it pulls hard to the right you could have a tire starting to have a cord separation in it, or its just settled that way, tire could be fine and likes the right side better. Tires a something, they take a beating and still are good. Its interesting.
I had a tire on the front of my Lexus go bad on the way to Prince Edward Island way back in 2013. Pulled hard to the left. I figured what caused mine was I-84 had buckles in it across PA that summer. They should have ground those down flat. Tires were perfect that morning when I left Virginia that morning.
I fought it from PA to Maine and into Canada. I finally got super annoyed and had to swap the two fronts at a gas station in Moncton NB. They we super nice to help me out.
Then it pulled hard to the right then, the other way, no matter what I had as air pressure. It was better than drifting into the on-coming lane of traffic.
Pot hole or anything, like a hard bridge transition, or piece of wood in the road you may run over, can break a cord in the tire. 40 series tire doesn't have much sidewall either. They were well worn.
How many miles you have on them?
yeah swap the tires around till you get a good feeling. I do it all the time on the Jeeps.
best of luck !
parrott

·
Premium Member
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The tires are BF goodrich g-force comp (directional) tires with about 24,000 miles on them.

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
4,205 Posts
I took my R/T to firestone and had a 4 wheel alignment done a week ago. The car had some constant pull to the left and some slight wear to the inside tread of all 4 tires before the alignment. They showed me the alignment readings before and after and everything looked good according to the paperwork.
I saw the vehicle go up on the lift a couple of times so they were doing something under the car and the mechanic road tested it afterwards.
But to me the car doesn't really drive any differently. The air in the tires has been double checked.
Should I take the car back and complain or is something else a miss?
Couple of things.

First is an alignment with worn tires often does not produce the best results. Ideally the best time for an alignment is when new tires are fitted.

Related to this is after the alignment it takes time for the tires to adapt to the new alignment. In the meantime the alignment can feel "off". My experience is to allow 100 to 200 miles of driving to give the tires to scrub in and adapt to the new alignment.

Might add that the few times I have had an alignment done with used tires the tires did not manifest any signs of uneven wear. In one case the front tires were howling at speed but I drove the car 2K miles home and had the alignment done. Even after 2K miles the tires were not manifesting any real signs of abnormal wear.

In the case of your car and the tires with slight wear on the inside of the tires maybe 200 miles might not be enough miles.

Second I always request that the tech not try to set the alignment to compensate for road crown. In my area I seldom drive on roads which are that crowned and in some cases -- multi-lane roads -- the crown can be the other direction.

I prefer an alignment that on a flat road the wheel is straight and if on a crowned road if I have to steer a bit one director or the other to compensate I'm ok with that.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts