Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering some mods on my 2016 RT A8. If I add a Legmaker CAI, a 85mm TB, short headers and a tune can I get 400 HP at the crank? Thanks for any advice

·
Registered
747 Posts
I am considering some mods on my 2016 RT A8. If I add a Legmaker CAI, a 85mm TB, short headers and a tune can I get 400 HP at the crank? Thanks for any advice

Possibly. It would be easier done with a mild cam swap or longtube headers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
709 Posts
Well your already at 375 hp stock - and that probably would dyno a little higher so lets say - 385 stock. Your only 15 hp away from your goal. I would think you should hit it. But as "newoldchallenger" said, LT headers for sure will get you there with a cam swap. You'll be producing quite a bit more than just 400.

·
Premium Member
2,224 Posts
I'm thinking, buy a tuner and get that car married to higher octane gas... Goal accomplished.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I realize LT will gain more HP, but I don’t want to have to worry about CEL issues or clearance issues. I don’t need a cam as I won’t race it..... just curious about what a few minor mods will do. Thanks all.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Been running high flow cats for almost a year now on my 2016 R/T with stock 02’s and 392 shorties, never once through a code. Maybe im lucky?

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
6,172 Posts
Been running high flow cats for almost a year now on my 2016 R/T with stock 02’s and 392 shorties, never once through a code. Maybe im lucky?
Depends on how the tune was setup. Most have the rear O2s deactivated by raising the ECT. This will prevent CEL or DTCs from showing up but it also prevents the emissions O2 monitor from completing. I personally am running with all DTCs enabled, rear O2s enabled and I added O2 sims (just for added measures) and so far all the emissions monitors but the O2s (need to perform the drive cycle) cleared. BTW I went to the IL emissions facility and they told me to come back when my scheduled emissions check is due (end of the year). I was like, why do I have to wait that long and the worker told me it is tied to plate registration renewal dates now. Really? :dunno:

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Depends on how the tune was setup. Most have the rear O2s deactivated by raising the ECT. This will prevent CEL or DTCs from showing up but it also prevents the emissions O2 monitor from completing. I personally am running with all DTCs enabled, rear O2s enabled and I added O2 sims (just for added measures) and so far all the emissions monitors but the O2s (need to perform the drive cycle) cleared. BTW I went to the IL emissions facility and they told me to come back when my scheduled emissions check is due (end of the year). I was like, why do I have to wait that long and the worker told me it is tied to plate registration renewal dates now. Really? :dunno:

Go figure

I just recently tuned my vehicle i was running the high flows (solo 3” actually made for srt8’s) without a tune and no light

Although i will say, low end felt a little lack luster without the tune

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
6,172 Posts
Go figure

I just recently tuned my vehicle i was running the high flows (solo 3” actually made for srt8’s) without a tune and no light
Ah, you are running shorties...it is LT headers and high flows that tend to be problematic. I really need to pay attention.:grin2:

·
Super Moderator
09 RT Challenger auto
3,467 Posts
I agree and have had both. LT headers are the way to go. I had 3in all the way back. No cats. Turned off the rear 02s in the tune and made steam. I was lucky not to have testing here.

If ya want to have some fun squirt a 125 shot with a tune for juice. Drop a set of one step colder plugs. Cheap. Provides Lots of fun. Zex kit is fine for playing at that level.

FlatTop

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
On my 2013 R/T..I know the motor is rated for 375 stock at the flywheel...I have a borla cat-back exhaust...Mopar cold air intake (yeah I know, mostly for looks) and I'm running a 91 octane canned tune with 93 octane gas on my trinity tuner. So...how much you think I gained in actually Hp at the crank? I have no other mods. I know the 91 tune in Diablo sport's literature says its good for like 14 or 15 HP and 17 ft lbs of torque...so that along with the cat-back gain me maybe 20 hp?? Just asking...I was wondering...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts