Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Banned
7,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of the VPs at work came by today with a story about his new truck. He doesn't drive it every day, just on the weekends so it is parked a lot.

It wouldn't fire up this past week. He checks a few things, calls and it gets to the dealer. They first thought it was the fuel pump. Nope. Then the computer....still won't fire up.

So they start digging in to it and find the main wire harness has been chewed in half by rodents!

Wire harness = $3100
Labor = $1100

Luckily it was covered by his insurance.

This is a heads up for those that leave their cars parked a lot. I couldn't believe it when he told me.

·
Premium Member
5,634 Posts
That sounds like a Cat is needed Asap!

·
Premium Member
2,328 Posts
That's terrible, he needs a cat it looks like. Nice the insurance stepped up and covered it.

Before I had my building I would rent a spot for some stuff in a building that had mice. I hated it but... I would put sticky mouse traps around all the tires to try and get them before they get me. I don't like decon that just lets them die in your car.

Luckley where I live is in the mountains and I don't have a big mice issue. Once in a while there will be one.

·
Registered
663 Posts
New years resolution... Drive the truck more

He's lucky the insurance covered that.

·
Premium Member
2,682 Posts
I was working on my girlfriends car last week and found mouse droppings in the engine bay...

I think it will be ok because they were crapping out that green poison stuff I left out for them so hopefully all our mice are dead... Minus the one I can hear chewing on the walls inside the damn house.

Best suggestions for getting rid of mice?

·
Premium Member
590 Posts
My wife's boss told her last week that his wife's Smartcar was considered a 'total' by their insurance company because the mice had chewed so much of the wiring. Over $10,000 estimate !!! Then yesterday, the boss comes in and tells my wife his Saab won't start. He's got a real mouse problem !!

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Happened to my daughter's Nissan when she was working at a camp in the mountains one summer. $900 later all was well.

The cat is a great idea. I've also heard putting downey dryer sheets around inside the car, trunk and engine compartment keeps the vermin away.

·
Premium Member
945 Posts
Had it happpen to a lawn mower last year, when it is really cold or too much snow the mice will eat anything, including the insulation on wires. I have also seen mice get into the interior from the outside air vents, chewing holes to get thru the filter.
Cars stored can use the sheet type fabric softner in the car and trunk, mice hate the stuff.
Tout

·
Premium Member
4,384 Posts
i heard the squrilles do the same thing

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
What is rough is when you are the tech that has to get the dead ones out of the HVAC system AFTER they have died in there. I have dug many out of Air Conditioning cases and center consoles. Why they like the insulation on wires is beyond me but they will tear up alot of stuff in your car.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Ugh... I am going to have nightmares about the car sitting in the garage until late March now. I did start it up and run it a couple of weeks ago, everything was fine, interior was clean.....

·
Premium Member
2,328 Posts
I have a funny story about a rodent.
My wife had a 1998 gmc Yukon this was back in like 2002 or so. It was giving her some trouble I don't remember exactly what it was now but something under the hood. So being the good husband I am I go out and check it out. Open the hood and there are two big ol beady eyes staring back at me, I jump back and probably scream I don't remember for sure.
I'm actually thinking about the old looney tunes where the baby kangaroo kicks the cats a$$ this thing is BIG.
Gather my self and do my best Indian sneak (it's pretty good too I grew up on a reservation) back over to the car. The dam thing is sitting there on top of the engine. At first I'm thinking RAT then no we don't have rats, all I know is this thing is big. Well it see's me and runs off.So I start trying to figure out how to get rid of it. First I try a stick that don't work cause it runs off before I can get a good Jackie Robinson impersonation worked up.
So plan two I get out a Red Rider BB gun tape up a flash light to the barrel (so I can leave the lights out) sneak up and over my work bench sure enough the little f___er is sitting there looking cocky I swear. So I'm thinking ok ok squeeze the trigger not jerk it. Just like I was trying to hunt a elk or something more substantial than a rodent. So I fire and.... I miss damit anyway. So the little sh1t runs off I'm hoping I scared it at least and it leaves the car. I go over and survey the damage nothing much really it has the hood insulation tore to hell and a nice little bed made on the fender well. I go back out a couple more time that night and don't see him so I'm hoping he left the area.

The next night I go back out and pop the hood redyeing myself this time not to Scream LOL. I don't see him YES he's gone. But I leave the hood open and shut out the light's just to be sure. Go back out and there he is crap. So I line up my shot again of course miss. You know these little guns are not the most accurate so it's not all my fault lol. I start thinking my wife works so the car is driven daily and this little SOB has been riding around for who knows how long and not once getting out. So it's obvious at this point he's not gonna leave voluntarily.

So I'm at work thinking about how to improve my odds of success for my nightly safari in my Garage. .22 no even if I do hit it the bullet will still do damage. Traps maybe but these suckers gotta be big. So i go get some traps made for rats and set them up in the car and left them one night. Well I heard on snap and went out to find it empty crap again. I'm back to hunting.
The next day I go down and get a good pump pellet gun smiley the whole time thinking this thing is mine LOL.

Set up the car turn out the lights and wait for a hour Indian sneak back out there sure enough the little sh1t is sitting back up on the engine probably thinking hhe owns the place. I line up a shot and nail his a$$ but he runs off. I can't believe it, now I probably will have this dead thing stuck in the car somewhere. I look and look and can't find it. Couple night go by and he don't show up so he must be dead. I remove his little insulation bed. I left it alone cause I was thinking he would just tear more out and make another.
I while goes by and I'm getting something off a shelve and move it and there that little beady face is staring at me. yea I screamed. probably not but makes for a better story. Well he is dead, looks like a pocket gopher or a prairie dog. I don't know cause I didn't haul my prey down to the local game and fish to find out. Through all that the car never did have any damage other than the insulation.
Never had another return customer luckly. I check the cars from time to time to be sure. We don't have many mice but this thing made up for it.
I wish now we would have video of my hunting. Would have been funny as he11 to watch.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I had a rat living in my engine compartment for a while... luckily he didnt eat anything... One day my husband texts me and says "the rat is dead", turned out that I started the car and backed up too quickly and ran over the bastard with my right front wheel :)

When I worked for the GM dealership, I had many experiences with customers who had wiring eaten or nibbled on by rodents (its never cheap). But the best has to be the squirrel that died in the engine bay and actually melted to the intake manifold, but not before eating 1500$ worth of wiring. Or maybe it was the cat that got caught in the serpentine belt, he didnt eat anything but man that was messy... tough choice.

·
Banned
7,159 Posts
Boatman the varmint killer!!

I freakin hate mice, I get one in my garage about once a year. When they are discovered, I will tear the whole place apart until it is dead.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
I stored my 69 charger in a tent type structure in the back yard for about 10 years, it had no floor just old dead grass, and mice would find their way in and make nests in the car. I kept finding rat turds in the interior for years, tried traps unsuccessfully and used poisons which did kill them but then they rotted inside the car and made it stink to holy hell. The smell inside was disgusting so i stripped out the entire interior, seats, carpet, door panels, under dash duct work etc, and even after a good pressure wash, there was still rodent "odor" in the car. About 3 years ago, i finally had a friend strip out the headliner and found a massive quantity of old rat turds inside the headliner. They didn't eat anything up there, but evidently liked to sleep up there, and if you know mice, they crap everywhere, including where they sleep. Once the headliner was out, the odor was finally gone. Today the car sits in a garage complete with concrete floor and walls, so mice pretty much stay out.

I have one car parked in front of the garage and opened the hood to charge the battery and try to move it, and lo and behold, a huge rat was sitting on the battery, and chose to slowly walk to the front of the engine bay and hop down a spot where the hoses made enough room to escape below the car. I left the hood open for about a week, and the rat left and didn't come back. I also moved the car and swept out all the leaves in the engine bay where he had nested. It still sits outside so figure other mice will eventually find their way back, but as long as they stay in the engine bay and don't chew the wires i'm not going rambo on them.

Mice by the way have furry tails, rats have a bald tail, most times what you see is a rat, not a mouse. At least i don't scream when i see one. I just get out the plastic bat (whiffle ball bat for those that know what they are) and swing away. I'll have to try out the dryer sheets, hadn't heard that mice/rats don't like those. Those work great for removing bugs from the front of the car also without screwing up the paint. Never knew they were so car friendly til lately.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Boatman the varmint killer!!

I freakin hate mice, I get one in my garage about once a year. When they are discovered, I will tear the whole place apart until it is dead.

Oh yeah, every year I have them in the garage. Usually just in a single corner by the garbage. Never had a problem with them in the car though. I do have an issue in the basement, hence... I have 4 cats- none of which actually do a damn thing about the mice...... accept play with them until ultimately, they accidently "break" their new found friend/toy.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts