Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it possible to order the 426 aluminum block, but without the supercharger- Hellephant?
I think that would help the issue with the Challenger being "hefty"

·
Registered
10,313 Posts
Is it possible to order the 426 aluminum block, but without the supercharger- Hellephant?
I think that would help the issue with the Challenger being "hefty"
Guess that I've never thought of the 392 as not being "hefty" in NA form.

It appears that FCA switched to the "BGE" block casting around the '19 model year. This block is from the truck engine, and it is a "heftier" block.

FCA never announced this, and it's hard to confirm "when", as the BGE id lettering is on the flywheel side of the block.

I have to assume that if the switch was made, it was for economic reasons, rather than durability reasons on the Challenger.

Overall cost would be less with only casting one block vs two. As more late production Challengers have their engine removed, more verification of the BGE will be learned.

·
Registered
2015 Challenger R/T Plus 8 Speed
7,845 Posts
will never happen.....too much liability and emission issues
What if someone wanted to buy a newer Challenger and build a dedicated track car for off road use only?

Something like the "Drag Pack" but built in their garage and something that does NOT use a GM transmission. (TH400)

·
Vendor
12,987 Posts
What if someone wanted to buy a newer Challenger and build a dedicated track car for off road use only?

Something like the "Drag Pack" but built in their garage and something that does NOT use a GM transmission. (TH400)
you can do anything you want, but dont expect FCA to have a wiring harness and plug and play kit for it, that will never happen.....
now you can strip a brand new car and eliminate all emission systems, factory wiring and build whatever you want, however you will never get it pass your state inspection legally

·
Vendor
12,987 Posts
the Hellephant, the Hellcat crates etc are all design for pre computerized vehicles, 80's and back models, where no one is concern about emissions, warranty or liability

·
Vendor
12,987 Posts
the plug and play system Mopar has available are stand alone and will not connect to a vehicles computer system, there is no integration between the engine computer system and the vehicle computer system

can it be done, probably, anything can be done with enough money

·
Registered
2015 Challenger R/T Plus 8 Speed
7,845 Posts
the plug and play system Mopar has available are stand alone and will not connect to a vehicles computer system, there is no integration between the engine computer system and the vehicle computer system

can it be done, probably, anything can be done with enough money
Okay, so the computer that comes with the crate motor controls just the motor, not the transmission or anything else. I remember seeing a crate motor Hemi for carburetor applications that had a computer that fired the plugs and that was all it did since you can not install a distributor in these motors. So you would have to build a drag car and use an old Torque Flite A-727 ((904s are week) or an A-833, if I recall is what the Manual Trans was, for a small block in order to put this in anything.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Okay, so the computer that comes with the crate motor controls just the motor, not the transmission or anything else.
There is no computer that comes with the motor. That's included with a separate kit.

Motor 30K - The complete engine assembly includes a water pump, flywheel, front sump oil pan, supercharger with throttle body, fuel injectors and coil packs.

Kit for said motor, sold separately $2,265 - which includes a powertrain control module (PCM), power distribution center, engine wiring harness, chassis harness, accelerator pedal, ground jumper, oxygen sensors, charge air temperature sensors, fuel pump control module and CAN bus interface device.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts

From the website:

"The engine assembly and kit are designed for installation on pre-1976 street and off-road vehicles. "

·
Premium Member
Charger 392
427 Posts
Could the 392 be bored over to a 426? Instead of using a stroker kit which keeps the same 392 bore.

·
Vendor
12,987 Posts
Okay, so the computer that comes with the crate motor controls just the motor, not the transmission or anything else. I remember seeing a crate motor Hemi for carburetor applications that had a computer that fired the plugs and that was all it did since you can not install a distributor in these motors. So you would have to build a drag car and use an old Torque Flite A-727 ((904s are week) or an A-833, if I recall is what the Manual Trans was, for a small block in order to put this in anything.
correct it only controls the engine functions and will not integrate with anything else within the vehicle, no transmission or any other systems

1 - 20 of 26 Posts