Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally did the final step needed in order to get my big beast on the road.. The dreaded California SMOG.. I was afraid I wasn't going to pass, but it went flawless.. Other than my big 426 engine, I set my tune back to stock, and put just about all stock parts and it passed without issues. It drives like shit with stock plugs, injectors air intake, etc.. including a few cylinder misfires, but once the drive cycle completed after a couple of attempts, I took it to the shop.. They connected my baby to their gizmo.. and I drove out of there as happy as I could be. I took it home, put my performance injectors, coils, plugs, CAI, exhaust, and re-uploaded a performance tune.

After a couple of years of working on this project, its finally running and running like a champ.. AND legal to be on the road again!! It feels sooo damn Good..

Anyways, just in case you were wondering if you can do a California SMOG test with a 426 stroker.. the answer is HELL YES you can!

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
4,297 Posts
I finally did the final step needed in order to get my big beast on the road.. The dreaded California SMOG.. I was afraid I wasn't going to pass, but it went flawless.. Other than my big 426 engine, I set my tune back to stock, and put just about all stock parts and it passed without issues. It drives like shit with stock plugs, injectors air intake, etc.. including a few cylinder misfires, but once the drive cycle completed after a couple of attempts, I took it to the shop.. They connected my baby to their gizmo.. and I drove out of there as happy as I could be. I took it home, put my performance injectors, coils, plugs, CAI, exhaust, and re-uploaded a performance tune.

After a couple of years of working on this project, its finally running and running like a champ.. AND legal to be on the road again!! It feels sooo damn Good..

Anyways, just in case you were wondering if you can do a California SMOG test with a 426 stroker.. the answer is HELL YES you can!
Don't see how your car is legal on the road. The car as it is on the road did not and probably would not pass smog. All you did is is engage in something probably quite illegal in order to get around the law.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The law requires for me to do a SMOG every 2 years... Check.. I did what the law requires me to do.. Legal.. I guess I haven't tested to see if it passes with the upgrades.. Hmm.. interesting thought, I just dont see the need to spend more money on another test. I guess we will never know..

·
Registered
4,297 Posts
The law requires for me to do a SMOG every 2 years... Check.. I did what the law requires me to do.. Legal.. I guess I haven't tested to see if it passes with the upgrades.. Hmm.. interesting thought, I just dont see the need to spend more money on another test. I guess we will never know..
Oh come on you are not that thick. The vehicle you tested, the engine, was not set up during the test the way it was set up for actual road use. You specifically avoided doing all what the law requires.

You have violated federal emissions laws out the wazoo by making changes to emissions related systems.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh come on you are not that thick. The vehicle you tested, the engine, was not set up during the test the way it was set up for actual road use. You specifically avoided doing all what the law requires.

You have violated federal emissions laws out the wazoo by making changes to emissions re
Get a life man, no laws violated... On this beautiful Sunday.. take a deep breath.. and breathe.. just not around my car.. 🤣

Reactions: Zo Maq and RIPNWIP

·
Registered
4,297 Posts
Get a life man, no laws violated... On this beautiful Sunday.. take a deep breath.. and breathe.. just not around my car.. 🤣
Laws were violated.

The Clean Air Act specifically prohibits the modification of any emission related device/system on a vehicle.

I do not know what state you live in and don't care to know, but I think I would be on solid ground stating that what you did violates your state's emissions laws, too.

Don't worry. I would not dare take a deep breath around your car. The foul stench of its elevated emissions would probably gag me.

·
Super Moderator
17,323 Posts
fortunately your 426 stroker didn't have a wild cam profile.

the MMX cam I installed in a friend's 392 would not idle unless you disconnected the TB connector or kept prodding the throttle to keep it from stalling. Thankfully it was an M6 and could nurse it over to the shop for tuning

An A8 model probably would have stalled when it was put into gear

I wonder if the injectors and coil packs could have been kept on there - if they looked OEM. Now if the packs were bright colors then the inspector would have caught that.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Im not sure.. but I was counting my lucky stars.. When I placed all the stock parts in, it ran rough and it took me several tries to complete a clean drive cycle. I would get misfires and if I came to a quick stop it would stall. I had to give it gas and hit the break when stopping because im guessing the throttle body reacted too quickly or i just wasn't getting enough gas or both.. once it sat in a stop light or just on and idling, it felt rough, lack of something..

·
Premium Member
10,428 Posts
I went catless on my 426 build. I love idling next to a Tesla at the lights.
My son works for Tesla, one of his cars has a stroker and a nice wild cam. He said that’s the way a car should sound. Not a sweeter sound out there! Glad I taught him right, lol.

Clint

·
Registered
2016 Scat Pack M6
126 Posts
What coil packs and injectors are you running? Do they look significantly different from stock?

I have noticed that many smog stations are really only concerned with things like cats present or absent and vaccum line routing. They didn't even mention the billet tech catch can on my car when I brought it in. My Miata has a COP conversion (it was waste spark initially) as well as some other goodies and the smog guys can't seem to tell the difference. I figure as long as your cats are in place and the motor does not have anything super obvious on it it should pass as long as the electronics say it is stock?

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
27,328 Posts
Now that tests are OBD-II most are just doing the visual inspection (everything seems in place, no big red flags), testing gas cap, and running the OBD-II test. Honestly, if it passes the OBD-II test, it should pass

A Guy

Reactions: trippytro

·
Registered
2020 Scat Pack Hellraisin Shaker
505 Posts
...The foul stench of its elevated emissions would probably gag me.
I believe there is a fallacy here that "modified = polluting".

In my experience a properly tuned performance car doesn't change its overall emissions output. The very nature of maximizing performance is ensuring good combustion and a clean running engine. True, the parts on the motor may not have the appropriate C.A.R.B. sticker on them. That doesn't mean the vehicle is automatically a polluter, that just means the manufacturer hasn't paid all the money to the government necessary to obtain the sticker.

Stop by a car show and stand next to an original 50's-60's carb'd vehicle when it is running. You will definitely notice an exhaust smell that is very different from a modern vehicle. You would have to work really hard to get a modern vehicle (with all its electronics & controls) to make it smell the same way. I think we have forgotten how bad cars used to be and we are hypersensitive to minor changes on modern vehicles.

-Eric

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
10,209 Posts
Just because you don't see any engine light on does not mean it will pass smog test. A lot of tuners will disable the light but the emissions monitors either show up as incomplete/not ready depending on how the DTCs were handled in the tune. For example, if the downstream O2s are disabled by setting the ECT to something the engine will never hit the monitor will show incomplete. What you need to do is check if the monitors (Fuel, O2 and Cat) have completed. I use HP tuners and will post up an image (thought I posted it on the forum already but can't find it) as to what passing smog looks like. I have a 5.7 with a 6.2 cam, LT headers with high flow cats and a super charger and I pass Illinois smog. The key is I don't disable any DTCs...they are all stock.

This is a passing snapshot of the monitors. (actually this is from my JGC, no EGR test on that one)

This is a recent read (today) of my challenger. Usually the EGR test is passing. I will see if I can find the actual screenshot of my monitors just before I passed emissions. Oh and these cars due have an EGR that is emulated by the VVT...the PDF shows all the different drive conditions needed to get the monitors going.

For the longest time I was getting this, and it was because I was fighting an O2 sensor that appeared to be aftermarket as it had a different color plug then the other 3 sensors. Oh and if you do get a permanent code, good luck clearing it as only the PCM can wipe it once it sees correct conditions. Not even a dealership can clear a permanent code...or so I have been told.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Just because you don't see any engine light on does not mean it will pass smog test. A lot of tuners will disable the light but the emissions monitors either show up as incomplete/not ready depending on how the DTCs were handled in the tune. For example, if the downstream O2s are disabled by setting the ECT to something the engine will never hit the monitor will show incomplete. What you need to do is check if the monitors (Fuel, O2 and Cat) have completed. I use HP tuners and will post up an image (thought I posted it on the forum already but can't find it) as to what passing smog looks like. I have a 5.7 with a 6.2 cam, LT headers with high flow cats and a super charger and I pass Illinois smog. The key is I don't disable any DTCs...they are all stock.

This is a passing snapshot of the monitors.
View attachment 991055

For the longest time I was getting this, and it was because I was fighting an O2 sensor that appeared to be aftermarket as it had a different color plug then the other 3 sensors. Oh and if you do get a permanent code, good luck clearing it as only the PCM can wipe it once it sees correct conditions. Not even a dealership can clear a permanent code...or so I have been told.
View attachment 991056
Excellent information here. In CT here you can only have one N/A come up on an emission test. So if both rear o2 sensors are turned off you will fail.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
10,209 Posts
Excellent information here. In CT here you can only have one N/A come up on an emission test. So if both rear o2 sensors are turned off you will fail.
Basically what happens is the O2 sensor and catalyst will never complete and hence the fuel system won't complete. BTW I just looked at the images I posted and I think the first one is of my JGC because there is no EGR available. I a will do a fresh ready on my challenger an repost the image.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts