Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
3,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Latest internet talk is that the 426 is 100% confirmed through Dodge insiders and will be replacing the 392 for the SRT model. Some have been asking for a bigger separation between the 392 SRTs and the Scat Packs so this may be it...

·
Registered
387 Posts
It would be the logical step for Dodge to counter Ford's and Chevy's move in the engine advancements in this segment.

Couldn't see myself upgrading from the 392 though for a mere 50hp. I can see a lot of 5.7L R/T guys upgrading to a 426 but for me, if I went out to upgrade from a 392 I'd want the bump in power to be more significant than what a future 426 could provide, i.e. it would have to be Hellcat level power that would feel like a major upgrade.

·
Registered
643 Posts
my fully loaded scat pack isn't too different from the srt besides the adaptive suspension i believe. i have the same wheels, brakes, lowered suspension, and engine. that 7liter for the neglected srt would be nice. i think people either get the scats or jump to hellcats usually skipping the srt.

·
Registered
2019 Sublime Shaker and 2010 Detonator Yellow R/T Classic
1,880 Posts
Well it would seem the 392 would take a similar spot as the 5.7 in the engine line-up as the "little engine that could" lol

·
Registered
643 Posts
Well it would seem the 392 would take a similar spot as the 5.7 in the engine line-up as the "little engine that could" lol
I wouldn't say little. It still has the second biggest displacement after the 426. And it will still stay in the middle of the line up. Aren't the planning on getting rid of the 5.7? Is so then yeah it will be the v8 with the least amount of horsepower

SXT
RT
Hellcat
Demon

·
Registered
2019 Sublime Shaker and 2010 Detonator Yellow R/T Classic
1,880 Posts
It wasn't long ago the 392 was king, how time passes and what was great gets pushed down to fourth place!! Holy Hell!!! These are the greatest moments in muscle car lore! I don't think they are getting rid of the ole 5.7, maybe they should, I like mine just fine for what I only get to use it for, maybe I am just old.

Don't worry dude, I was only joking about "the little engine that could" You can still get the job done with what you have, she hopes!!! lol!!!

·
Registered
643 Posts
It wasn't long ago the 392 was king, how time passes and what was great gets pushed down to fourth place!! Holy Hell!!! These are the greatest moments in muscle car lore! I don't think they are getting rid of the ole 5.7, maybe they should, I like mine just fine for what I only get to use it for, maybe I am just old.

Don't worry dude, I was only joking about "the little engine that could" You can still get the job done with what you have, she hopes!!! lol!!!
yeah and when i was first eyeing the 2008 SRT8 as my dream car, it was the biggest and best you can get. My fully loaded scatpack minus the sun roof is everything I wanted and more, can't complain. it was a huge jump from my 4 banger Avenger but as you get used to the speed, I feel it could be faster

·
Registered
5,668 Posts
I am happy with my 5.7l, enough Torque to feel it when you nail the throttle. Enough power to cruise up Rt. 11 to Geneva at 120+ MPH. And a real head turner, That's all I bought it for, and it does it just fine. With a tune I am sure it could run with and beat my buddies 2010 Camaro SS. It def. feels more torquey than his manually shifted Camaro.

·
Registered
2016 Scat Pack Shaker
633 Posts
And just think of the badges...................
Think you just sold some Challengers and Chargers, Hope your getting some commish.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Even though I badged my R/T a little (Added 345 to the scoops, R/T to the Fender, HEMI on the Spoiler, and DODGE on the hood), I'm a bigger fan of debadging, for the "sleeper" look. THAT being said, "426" is iconic. All of these modern HEMIs have built their own reputations, and even though the new 426 won't be the same as the old 426......it's still friggin "426 HEMI". It should be on fenders, hood scoops, spoilers, hood decals, hat's, t-shirts, and tattooed to your old-ladies backside.

·
Premium Member
331 Posts
Even though I badged my R/T a little (Added 345 to the scoops, R/T to the Fender, HEMI on the Spoiler, and DODGE on the hood), I'm a bigger fan of debadging, for the "sleeper" look. THAT being said, "426" is iconic. All of these modern HEMIs have built their own reputations, and even though the new 426 won't be the same as the old 426......it's still friggin "426 HEMI". It should be on fenders, hood scoops, spoilers, hood decals, hat's, t-shirts, and tattooed to your old-ladies backside.
I'll have to ask the wife about badging her rear with a 392 since I've already did it to the car in the rear.. LOL

Attachments

·
Registered
387 Posts

·
Registered
886 Posts
I hope like HELL they don't put the 426 in only the SRT. Makes sense but I don't like the SRT (except my old 2010), hood does nothing for me. I would love another shaker and that is exactly where a 426 HEMI belongs. I'll scream if they're dumb enough to use 7.0L (don't like the 6.4L either).

·
Registered
2016 Scat Pack Shaker
633 Posts
All of these modern HEMIs have built their own reputations, and even though the new 426 won't be the same as the old 426......it's still friggin "426 HEMI".
In stock form the current 392 Hemi kicks the ever lovin snot out of the old 426 Hemi. New 426 Hemi with another 35 CI, 35 - 50 HP and 35 lb/ft of torque should should widen the gap considerably.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts