Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering what you would all choose and why.

Thanks in advance :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
5,645 Posts
468 stroker

Because it is alluminum, and gets big power for a NA motor. Haven't heard of them until yesterday. 590 HP at the wheels. Bet it is as light, if not lighter than the 392. It would be cool to have 468 on the cowl. I'm guessing way cheaper? Probably uses the same drivetrain/tranny? Perhaps it is suitable for street driving. I think a Blown 426 gets between 700-850 RWHP. Probably not suitable for normal driving.

·
Premium Member
1,318 Posts
I did speak with Arrington about the 468. It is 100 pounds lighter than a 392. It is not inexpensive, but, you get what you pay for. Namely, a 468 aluminum short block with all forged internals, ported heads (off your 392), an aggressive cam with rods and all, new intake manifold (6.1 ported), 90mm throttle body, tune, and some other goodies I can't recall. Not to mention the labor to pull your engine, rework all the bits, put it back together, and then install it. Oh, and a dyno run to post here in CT :D

·
Registered
http://www.dragtimes
1,899 Posts
Do you get to keep your 392 short block or are you giving that up as a core charge?
I think a 468 sleeper with 392 badges would be a lot of fun at the track...

·
Premium Member
5,645 Posts
Yep

I did speak with Arrington about the 468. It is 100 pounds lighter than a 392. It is not inexpensive, but, you get what you pay for. Namely, a 468 aluminum short block with all forged internals, ported heads (off your 392), an aggressive cam with rods and all, new intake manifold (6.1 ported), 90mm throttle body, tune, and some other goodies I can't recall. Not to mention the labor to pull your engine, rework all the bits, put it back together, and then install it. Oh, and a dyno run to post here in CT :D
I assumed cheaper because a 426 stroker has many of the same internal goodies/work required as the 468, but than you pay for the blower. Since you'd be pushing 800 RWHP, you need a new tranny and differential. I believe 590 RWHP is acceptable with current Tremic Tranny, and differential. That is why I ASSUME it is far less expensive. If I bought a 468, I'd use it as a Sunday Cruiser. I no longer race so the blown 426 is not for me.

·
Premium Member
1,318 Posts
Do you get to keep your 392 short block or are you giving that up as a core charge?
I think a 468 sleeper with 392 badges would be a lot of fun at the track...
There is some value for the 392 core figured into it. Not sure how much, but probably not as much as you could get selling it outright. Remember, they use all the parts off your old block, like headers, connections, and probably flywheel, harmonic balancer, water pump and what not? I'm not real sure on all this, so please don't quote me. I remember that they do use a new timing chain, and higher grade gaskets.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for your insight Danner.

Intended for mostly street and some weekend strip usage. I'm not sure a SC would be effective on a road course due to heat soak.

I heard mention of low end torque(which I like) and partial throttle response as advantages of NA?

Whereas the SC kicks in at 3K rpm(stall) or so - is that an all or none response in acceleration?

:guiness:

·
Premium Member
528 Posts
426 Supercharged

Just wondering what you would all choose and why.

Thanks in advance :thumbsup:
I have a Arrington Build Gen III al 426 with a Maggie Supercharger. 688RWHP while I am sure it is more expensive that a NA 468 I am running the stock 6 Speed but I did have DSS 1400 HP axles installed. Wen you get on it with the Supercharger it is a blast ( I have the biggest grin just thinking about it ). Its hard to beat Forced induction for cheap high power. The car run just like stock unless you get on it. I made my choice either way is going to give you a Great fun car. Good luck to you

1 - 10 of 10 Posts