Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a Low Bus 430RBZ and I am thinking about changing out the speakers all at once..

I have a 2011 SE and I have read that it has 6 speakers, crutchfield is telling me 4 is the only option other than Boston?

What have you guys been using for speakers? I know the dash are 3.5", the doors are 6"X9" and the rears are 6.5"...But any suggestions on speakers brand or model number of speakers you've used that fit?

All I've found so far are

One option:
Infinity 629I 225W (Peak) Two-Way Speakers (Pair)- 6-1/2 x 6-3/4 -Inch
Infinity Kappa 693.9I 3-Way, 6 x 9 Inches Co-Axial Loudspeaker - Set of 2
Infinity 329CF 105W Peak 3-1/2 Inch Custom Fit Two-Way Speakers (Pair)

Option Two:
Kicker 40CS654 Pair of 6.5 300 Watt 4 Ohm Coaxial Speakers
Kicker 40CS6934 6"x9" 3-way Car Speakers
Pair Kicker 40CS354 3.5" 3-1/2" 90 Watt 4-Ohm 2-Way Car Audio Speakers CS354

Anyone used these or have better options?

·
Registered
627 Posts
Speakers are like beer, everyone has their own preference. What’s pleasant to your ears may not be to others. That said, your sizes are correct for the locals stated. I put Rockford's all around in my 2011. Tweets in dash, 2 ways in doors and package tray. But I also added the HK 900w amp with the 2 x 8 sub in the spare tire area.

I believe the OEM system is spec'd out for 2ohm speakers (someone with more stereo savy, chime in and correct this if I'm wrong on this).

·
Premium Member
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So the speakers I would need would have to be 2ohms then? That will limit the search I would imagine because most of what I am seeing is 4... I know nothing about car stereo either. Hopefully someone can chime in.:smoker:

·
Premium Member
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I see that infinity reference series are 2ohm.

Infinity Reference 9633cf 6 x 9-Inch 300-Watt High Performance 3-Way Loudspeaker
Infinity Reference 6032cf 6.5-Inch 180-Watt High-Performance 2-Way Speakers

I also read though using coaxial speakers isn't good either though. I feel like I just need to get an amp and stop trying to tie this into the stock amp.

·
Registered
828 Posts
My 2010 SE only has 4 speakers.... if you have the base system then you should only have 4. Easy way to tell is look down thru the windshield into the dash speaker grills and you can see the dash speakers if you do have them. I replace my OEM speakers with Rockford Fosgates along with upgrading to the RER headunit.

·
Registered
244 Posts
First thing I did was replace the speakers with those Infinitys in my 2013 SXT and I'll be honest, it made little difference in sound and really didn't seem worth it. If anything I feel like I lost lows. Now in my winter car, an 02 Monte Carlo essentially using the same size stock speakers I replaced the factory deck with a lower level Kenwood and the sound is amazing.

As much as I think stock speakers do suck, I think the stock radios are a much bigger part of the problem with sound quality. Come this summer once my Sirius subscription expires I'm replacing the RBZ with something aftermarket.

·
Premium Member
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I think the speaker setup changed from 4 to 6 in 2011. After researching further on crutchfield they even say this in the breakdown of the cars stereo. I also stopped by best buy and the guy there also said in 2011 we've found that there are speakers in the dash that run parallel to the door 4ohm to 4ohm = 2 ohm if i rem correctly

·
Registered
409 Posts
First thing I did was replace the speakers with those Infinitys in my 2013 SXT and I'll be honest, it made little difference in sound and really didn't seem worth it. If anything I feel like I lost lows. Now in my winter car, an 02 Monte Carlo essentially using the same size stock speakers I replaced the factory deck with a lower level Kenwood and the sound is amazing.

As much as I think stock speakers do suck, I think the stock radios are a much bigger part of the problem with sound quality. Come this summer once my Sirius subscription expires I'm replacing the RBZ with something aftermarket.
I would have to lean toward agreement with Karpsta. The factory speakers aren't great, but you're powering them with an integrated head unit amp so the power isn't all that clean and you cannot tune the system for crap. Obviously the most ideal setup is changing out the head unit, the speakers, and amplifying the speakers with an external amplifier. However, the next best thing would be to filter the stock HU output with a signal processor and amplify new speakers. Next step down would be replacing the speakers and HU with no external amp. Next step down would be replacing the HU and leaving stock speakers.

Worst part about replacing our head unit is dealing with the low-speed canbus which requires a special harness. And you also lose your factory steering wheel integration unless you purchase another adapter.

·
Premium Member
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yea, I was really trying to do this myself. I fig replacing a couple speakers that had existing wiring and some adapters would be an easy swap. I wouldn't know where to begin with a sound processor...

·
Registered
409 Posts
Yea, I was really trying to do this myself. I fig replacing a couple speakers that had existing wiring and some adapters would be an easy swap. I wouldn't know where to begin with a sound processor...
By all means, feel free to make the speaker swap without any further modifications. If I were in your shoes, I would consider replacing the door speakers with a 6.5" midbass driver (avoid 2-ways and 3-ways if possible). You can easily fashion a baffle for a 6.5" speaker out of MDF to fit the 6x9 hole in the front doors. Then replace the dash speakers with 3.5" 2-ways as you planned.

You want to avoid having a 2-way or 3-way down low in your door speaker as it will bring the sound stage down and be overly tinny with a tweeter in the dash and another in the door.

Then again, I'm not entirely sure how Dodge has the frequencies crossed over within the head unit, so the door speakers may already be filtered to only produce midbass frequencies. But it would be best to avoid the situation entirely and do without a 2-way or 3-way in the door.

EDIT: This thread has some good information on where people put speakers in their Challengers and how to run a 6.5" or 8" midbass in the stock door location.

And another GREAT thread and amazing build by IMCHALLENGEN. Great pics on how to construct baffles for stock door locations. The way he does a front stage with 6.5" or 8" midbasses and tweeters in the stock dash locations is exactly how I would do it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts