Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a new (to me) 2013 Challenger RT (Automatic) (83k miles) and did a oil change today. just some things I noticed afterwards on the digital gauge.

Idle PSI at operating temp is 44-46.
Cruising at 1.7k rpm is about 50-60 psi depending on whether if im accelerating or not.

These seem REALLY high to me so of course I checked oil stick and it sits at upper half of the safe-zone (cross-hatched area)
Used 7 QTs of full synthetic 5-20 as the owners-manual called for. Also replaced the filter with a K&N Gold series one (Replaced a shitty FRAM one).

Is this a normal range?
Seems everywhere else im reading people idle at 15-20 psi so im guessing not.
Everything seems to work fine and its not making nightmarish sounds (yet) so im not to terribly worried.

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
That's normal for new oil, it will gradually come down as the OCI ages, nothing to be concerned about.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
What Nuke said, other than I don't see the oil pressure fall off after miles with my Hellcat. As best I can tell by observing the oil pressure with fresh oil in the engine to oil that is just due to be changed -- for my Hellcat every 5K miles -- as long as the oil temperature is the same -- and I used 212F as my temperature base line -- the oil pressure is the same within the limits of the oil pressure gauge.

Certainly oil temperature affects oil pressure at a given RPM, at least at idle where the RPMs are consistent time after time.

The oil pressure drops a bit as oil temperature goes up. Not by much. Just a couple of PSI drop from at say 230F compared to the oil pressure at 212F.

What has a bigger impact on oil pressure at "idle" is the idle RPMs. In shifting from Park to Drive the engine RPMs drop maybe by 100 RPMs. (I've never bothered to check the RPMs using an OBD2 too jsut going by the tach and the tach is not the most precise of gauges.) The oil pressure drops by around 4PSI.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
About this Discussion
2 Replies
3 Participants
Rockster
Dodge Challenger Forum
Challenger Talk, the online forum for discussions, reviews of Dodge Challenger, and all things SRT, Hellcat, and Demon.
Full Forum Listing