Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2015 Dodge Challenger SXT w/ Super Track Pack options but no STP button on my center controls
Is this upgrade possible? I have read so many posts and I can't seem to get a real solid answer of Yes or No?
I found a GUY that sells these, others on this forum have purchased from him.
I can purchase a RA3 8.4 Uconnect and he supplies the unlock code it is from a 2015+ Challenger
I gave him my car options and he said it will be simple plug and play
I read on this forum and else where how people lost sport mode or usb sd card aux inputs even HVAC controls?
then after they try to go back to there original 5.0 RA2 unit they still have lost sport mode and other functions etc.
I am close to a purchase but I keep reading these horror stories...
Do I just deal with this very cool car and the live with the small diminutive 5.0 screen size? or is this possible to upgrade? Even memeber that purcahse from Infotainment have the same problems?
his RA3 8.4 unit has the firmware 17.11.07 he offered me my money back if I loose Sport Mode etc.
I read that this version 17.11.07 is the version that people are having problems with Sport mode being lost?
PLEASE IF ANYONE HAS THIS TRUE ANSWER PLEASE LET ME KNOW?

IM not trying to go from 2015 to 2017+ just want the larger screen size, no navigation / no satellite radio I just want the bigger screen

Thanks
Jason

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I am starting to think if you did not buy the car with the 8.4 then it will be very difficult to upgrade
I have read so many of these threads going back to 2015? It seems that it never ends well?
I am so close to buying this one too,

Has anyone had success with this? I believe even Infotainment has these same problems?
people want to upgrade from the 5.0 Uconnect to 8.4 then they loose sport mode or more functions?

·
Registered
394 Posts
I updated my 5.0 to the carplay compatible 17 8.4 radio. Works great, did not loose any features and gained several. If you get a tazer you can enable all the features available for 8.4 radio as well. Not sure if all the features works but in my car all of them worked except the paid for monthly options. I did not want them anyway so I find this upgrade nothing but a win.

Ron

·
Registered
81 Posts
I updated my 5.0 to the carplay compatible 17 8.4 radio. Works great, did not loose any features and gained several. If you get a tazer you can enable all the features available for 8.4 radio as well. Not sure if all the features works but in my car all of them worked except the paid for monthly options. I did not want them anyway so I find this upgrade nothing but a win.

Ron
what year is your challenger and what exact model radio/usb hub did you buy?
also who is this guy everyone speaks of?

im looking to upgrade my 5" in my 2016

·
Registered
394 Posts
what year is your challenger and what exact model radio/usb hub did you buy?
also who is this guy everyone speaks of?

im looking to upgrade my 5" in my 2016
I have no idea what "this guy" is. I got my radio from infotainment.com came with the usb stack and already programmed for my car. My car is a 16 a8. I also got the full center stack to match(my radio is a 17 model(uaq) my hvac controls came from a 17 hellcat.(got this for $100 off ebay.) This allows for the most compatible setup as all the items that communicate with the radio are from the same year(radio, usb, and comfort controls). I have no idea if that makes any difference at all just makes it easier for me when troubleshooting(if the radio is the issue I look into 17 MY issues, anything else I look into MY 16 issues) also gave me the STP button along with the radio on/off button as it being always on is very irritating for me.
If you go with an 18 MY radio though I would look into the HVAC controls also coming from an 18 MY car.
If you were anywhere near Springfield Or. I would be happy to show you the setup.

Ron

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
17,121 Posts
Perhaps PM @Jaybird about who "this guy" is. It's not...

A Guy :)

·
Registered
30 Posts
I got my 8.4 radio from infotainment, and there were instructions to turn on the sport mode when you activate the radio to keep the sport mode, I did and mine still works.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I shaved off the 5 or 6 ribs that made the RA2 5.0” dash not flush with the RA3 8.4” radio. Now the trim around my radio is flush. Best Thing I have done to the car is this 8.4” radio. A huge improvement.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I shaved off the 5 or 6 ribs that made the RA2 5.0” dash not flush with the RA3 8.4” radio. Now the trim around my radio is flush. Best Thing I have done to the car is this 8.4” radio. A huge improvement.
Which ribs? I did the same upgrade and my dash not sitting flush is driving me crazy...

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
516 Posts
This isn't just a matter of plug-n-play fwiw...while I've not tried this in a MY15 veh (Harmon-supplied radio) and I am NOT at all familiar w/the tazer or aftermarket options, I'd like to at least put a warning out there...

In the 18s-newer (Panasonic radios) I can tell you this isn't really possible. Security gateway is one obstacle. Also sales codes would have to be changed by a dealer, then a vehicle configuration restore would need to be done in order to update the BCM to 'tell' the vehicle there's now an 8.4 in the veh. But even then none of the supporting sw updates will ever be correct (for HVAC, BCM, etc) because the service software won't 'know' the vehicle has been upfit w/a different Uconnect system. Also your 8.4 will never be properly supported by Uconnect since the VIN is forever coded to the 5, not the 8.4. And the vehicle-side features that are built into Uconnect (track pack or off-road pages in the jeeps) won't work.

I could go on & on but this is not* possible in 18s-newer.

*excluding aftermarket options/software...there's some clever folks out there

·
Registered
394 Posts
This isn't just a matter of plug-n-play fwiw...while I've not tried this in a MY15 veh (Harmon-supplied radio) and I am NOT at all familiar w/the tazer or aftermarket options, I'd like to at least put a warning out there...

In the 18s-newer (Panasonic radios) I can tell you this isn't really possible. Security gateway is one obstacle. Also sales codes would have to be changed by a dealer, then a vehicle configuration restore would need to be done in order to update the BCM to 'tell' the vehicle there's now an 8.4 in the veh. But even then none of the supporting sw updates will ever be correct (for HVAC, BCM, etc) because the service software won't 'know' the vehicle has been upfit w/a different Uconnect system. Also your 8.4 will never be properly supported by Uconnect since the VIN is forever coded to the 5, not the 8.4. And the vehicle-side features that are built into Uconnect (track pack or off-road pages in the jeeps) won't work.

I could go on & on but this is not* possible in 18s-newer.

*excluding aftermarket options/software...there's some clever folks out there
I dont believe the 18+ comes with the ra2 as an option. the 7' radio's in the 18+'s are not ra2's. So it may not be possible to upgrade the 8.4 radio in the 18+ cars it most definitely is possible with the 15-17 models to upgrade from the 5" ra2 to the 8.4 and to get the STP(dodge performance pages) stuff to work correctly. I had a 16 I upgraded myself that the dodge dealer flashed to get everything working that was supposed to work with the car config at the time. the reflash was mandatory as I had them install the remote start feature and that required the 8.4 radio to be reflashed. The updates for the 16 when they come out was available on the website to download and upgrade your self, so even though the over the air updates did not work this was not limiting the radio from getting updates.

Ron

·
Registered
516 Posts
I dont believe the 18+ comes with the ra2 as an option. the 7' radio's in the 18+'s are not ra2's. So it may not be possible to upgrade the 8.4 radio in the 18+ cars it most definitely is possible with the 15-17 models to upgrade from the 5" ra2 to the 8.4 and to get the STP(dodge performance pages) stuff to work correctly. I had a 16 I upgraded myself that the dodge dealer flashed to get everything working that was supposed to work with the car config at the time. the reflash was mandatory as I had them install the remote start feature and that required the 8.4 radio to be reflashed. The updates for the 16 when they come out was available on the website to download and upgrade your self, so even though the over the air updates did not work this was not limiting the radio from getting updates.

Ron
Thanks for the info Ron. I just wanted to make everyone aware it's a different game w/the new radio supplier and security gateway in MY18+.

I got sucked into trying this upgrade as a favor (on a 19 JL Wrangler) and it wasn't possible to get all the modules involved (DTCM, BCM, TCM, SGW in particular) that need to talk in order to get all the Uconnect functions working. Not to mention any future Uconnect releases would never align properly.

That said, never rule out what the aftermarket may come up with in time.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts