Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before everyone beats me up, I've been searching for the last few hours trying to find an answer. Maybe I'm using the wrong key words. I just bought a 8.4 RA4 radio to swap out my 5.0 on my 2016 Challenger RT. I have the unlock code and VIN. Plugged it in, everything powers up, steering wheel controls, hvac controls and sport mode all work. But the problem is, I have NO audio, none, no radio, bluetooth...nothing. I've tried a factory reset (several times), disconnected the battery for about 10 minutes. I re-installed the factory radio, and I have sound again. Any ideas? or directions to a thread that I missed.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
It shows Dodge. It did show Jeep, but once I put in the unlock code, it cycled a few times and now reads Dodge.
So you held the hot&cold buttons until the maintenance screen came up and you did the factory reset, but still produces no sound?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So you held the hot&cold buttons until the maintenance screen came up and you did the factory reset, but still produces no sound?

Correct. I'm ordering the equipment and program for AlfaOBD to do a proxy allign. The local dealer said they wouldn't do it.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Correct. I'm ordering the equipment and program for AlfaOBD to do a proxy allign. The local dealer said they wouldn't do it.
Is your car equipped with an Amp?
Forget that, your other radio works, I was thinking the fuse went.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Is your car equipped with an Amp?
Forget that, your other radio works, I was thinking the fuse went.
Mine just came with the 6 speaker base setup. The odd thing is, the Jeep the radio came out of had the same setup.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Stopped by the dealer to try for a proxy allign. Had two trouble codes and they wouldn't do anything. They said it wasn't possible to fix, had to get a different radio. Codes are U014300 "Lost Communication with Multi-Purpose Module" and U018600 "Lost Communication With Audio Amplifier" Any ideas?

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Possible that something inside the radio went bad. Did you buy from somebody on Ebay or from somebody off a forums? Cause if your radio still works and this doesn't. It's basically plug an play, just need the vin and security code.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Possible that something inside the radio went bad. Did you buy from somebody on Ebay or from somebody off a forums? Cause if your radio still works and this doesn't. It's basically plug an play, just need the vin and security code.

Yea, I've always understood it to be a plug an play too. I think I'm going to have to go with another radio.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Yea, I've always understood it to be a plug an play too. I think I'm going to have to go with another radio.
I don't know how much you paid for the radio, but if your going to buy another one, try here as they deal with these swaps all the time. Matter of fact, it what they do.

I mean it is possible that the radio is bad.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I don't know how much you paid for the radio, but if your going to buy another one, try here as they deal with these swaps all the time. Matter of fact, it what they do.

I mean it is possible that the radio is bad.

Yep, I'm familiar with them. I only spent 300 on this radio, good thing is the seller agreed to take it back. I'll have to try again.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That's good, sounds like a stand up guy. Give an update when you can..

Thanks man. I'm a little gun shy now on buying another radio though.

Side note: I noticed that the car had the EVTS added on (it was a lease return) probably by the leasing company or dealer. That shouldn't have an effect on it? I pulled it out anyway.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Thanks man. I'm a little gun shy now on buying another radio though.

Side note: I noticed that the car had the EVTS added on (it was a lease return) probably by the leasing company or dealer. That shouldn't have an effect on it? I pulled it out anyway.
You pull the EVTS out? Did you tell the dealer this when you tried to have it aligned? Was the EVTS hooked up with your 5.0 radio?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
You pull the EVTS out? Did you tell the dealer this when you tried to have it aligned?

Yea, Is that a bad thing? When I first bought the car it had a cheep looking button down by the light switch, looked like a cheap add on. So I started pulling it out, when I got to the module, then I realized what it was. Already had it disconnected. Car still runs and drives fine.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
You pull the EVTS out? Did you tell the dealer this when you tried to have it aligned? Was the EVTS hooked up with your 5.0 radio?

It was still there when I went to have it aligned. It was hooked up with the 5.0, and now that I unhooked it, the 5.0 still works. I already shipped the 8.4 back. Excuse my ignorance, but why is it bad to take off the EVTS? It wasn't there from the factory (I have the window sticker). I never signed up for it.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Had to actually look up what EVTS was. Thought that disconnecting would have an effect on the radio. Everything in these cars rely on control modules.. But I was wrong. Which is good in away, you can still use your 5.0.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Had to actually look up what EVTS was. Thought that disconnecting would have an effect on the radio. Everything in these cars rely on control modules..

Yea, it seems to be pretty stand alone. But my thought was if it connects to the phone system (the button was a picture of a phone), it might actually mute the system while trying to make a call. I'm pretty frustrated, not sure about going down this road again. I'm re-reading the posts about this swap, everybody is saying it's plug an play.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts