Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at doing a drive on Route 66 in my 2014 Challenger RT in September. Yup, all the way from Chicago to LA, and then back again. My car will have about 80,000 miles on it at that point. So, I wanna make sure I am well prepped for the trip.

My car prep thoughts are:

Tune up - Plugs and wires, filters
All fluids (Transmission, coolant, diff, Brakes and PS)
Spare tire and jack - I have the HK stereo - so no spare.

Tires are new
Brakes are new
Suspension - Freshly aligned and still tight.

All good stuff to do anyway, as I plan to keep this car for a lot more years and many more miles.

Any recommendations?

·
Premium Member
338 Posts
How about the battery? Otherwise, I think you have it covered.

I'm a little envious--that's going to be a great trip. Have fun!

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How about the battery? Otherwise, I think you have it covered.

I'm a little envious--that's going to be a great trip. Have fun!
Hmmm.
Good idea.
I should check it anyway. It will be 4 years old by the time the trip starts.

It should be a blast. One of those bucket list things I've always wanted to do. And the Challenger is about the best highway car I've ever had.

Sent from my XT1635-02 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
15,339 Posts
I'm looking at doing a drive on Route 66 in my 2014 Challenger RT in September. Yup, all the way from Chicago to LA, and then back again. My car will have about 80,000 miles on it at that point. So, I wanna make sure I am well prepped for the trip.

Tires are new
Brakes are new

All good stuff to do anyway, as I plan to keep this car for a lot more years and many more miles.

Any recommendations?
Probably want to give a new coat of wax / protectant - since you'll pick up bugs, road grime, driving in rain etc. It will make it easier to clean all that off along your trip.

·
Registered
2015 SRT, 6 Speed, Sublime Green
1,462 Posts
I have taken several long road trips, one as far as 7900 miles round trip. It sounds like you have a good plan and are doing as much as possible to reduce your risk. You might want to consider a can of Pam cooking spray to apply to your front end daily. It makes bug removal a breeze and has no lasting effect. Sounds like a great adventure. Have fun, take lots of pics, and be safe. Consider starting a thread and sharing it here. Like a daily update with pics. We want to live vicariously through you on the road!

Here's a sample

http://www.challengertalk.com/forums/f5/road-trip-374058/

·
Premium Member
298 Posts
Sounds like a great trip! If you have Nav are your maps updated? A bottle of windshield washer fluid. Treating your windshield with Aquapel or similar product will help visibility in the rain.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT
307 Posts
A camera for lots of pictures.

·
Registered
354 Posts
When you do your other filters, don't forget the cabin filter too, your A/C will be happier.

I carry a set of fuses and exterior bulbs too, it's the best way to assure you won't need them. :)

·
Registered
59 Posts
Early Sept. in AZ is still going to be hot. A jug of pre-mix coolant in the truck is never bad advice in the desert. Along with a gallon of water. Buddy was in a rental car recently. Sign said "Turn off ac next 10 mile to prevent over heating". It was a long uphill grade. He thought I am in a brand new car-Maybe 50 years ago as he blasted up the hill a/c rocking. He over heated a mile from the summit, lol.

That is going to be a fantastic trip. The open desert is our western Autobahn. I just covered a big section of 66 on my motorcycle. In AZ there is the 66 logo painted on the highway in several places. Stop and get a picture of the car with the logo. It will be a keeper. Enjoy.

I run Seattle to Scottsdale a couple times a year. Looking forward to running the Challenger on my route but not expecting any record times. The AUDI S6 I traded for the Challenger crush my old record. The old record holder was my wife's Turbo Beetle. Not the Maserati or the Mini JCW track car a had. The Bug. Why. Invisible on the road. No one is calling in that a Beatle just blew there doors off doing 100. When the Maserati blows by at 120 Larini exhaust screaming they are calling in trust me:). Last run in the Audi included 5 to 6 hours of 100+ running out in the middle of nowhere. You get use to the speed and 65 after that seems like crawling. Be careful after night in the desert too. Lots of big stuff out there. I came along a totaled Ram 3500 diesel. I hit 250lb mule deer in Canada a few years ago in the same truck. Broke the shroud around the radiator that was it. This truck was totaled. Hit a gray wild donkey standing in the middle of the road at night doing 80. I slow down after dark now and try not to out drive the head lights. We will want pictures.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
When you do your other filters, don't forget the cabin filter too, your A/C will be happier.

I carry a set of fuses and exterior bulbs too, it's the best way to assure you won't need them. :)
Some good thoughts there. I just did do the cabin filter in April, so I should be good for that. A brand new engine air filter will go in just before I hit the road.

The bulb and fuse idea is a good one. They have been going out with some regularity recently, and only one headlight has been replaced, so if the other is gonna fail, then it will certainly go on that trip. :)

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Early Sept. in AZ is still going to be hot. A jug of pre-mix coolant in the truck is never bad advice in the desert. Along with a gallon of water. Buddy was in a rental car recently. Sign said "Turn off ac next 10 mile to prevent over heating". It was a long uphill grade. He thought I am in a brand new car-Maybe 50 years ago as he blasted up the hill a/c rocking. He over heated a mile from the summit, lol.

That is going to be a fantastic trip. The open desert is our western Autobahn. I just covered a big section of 66 on my motorcycle. In AZ there is the 66 logo painted on the highway in several places. Stop and get a picture of the car with the logo. It will be a keeper. Enjoy.

I run Seattle to Scottsdale a couple times a year. Looking forward to running the Challenger on my route but not expecting any record times. The AUDI S6 I traded for the Challenger crush my old record. The old record holder was my wife's Turbo Beetle. Not the Maserati or the Mini JCW track car a had. The Bug. Why. Invisible on the road. No one is calling in that a Beatle just blew there doors off doing 100. When the Maserati blows by at 120 Larini exhaust screaming they are calling in trust me:). Last run in the Audi included 5 to 6 hours of 100+ running out in the middle of nowhere. You get use to the speed and 65 after that seems like crawling. Be careful after night in the desert too. Lots of big stuff out there. I came along a totaled Ram 3500 diesel. I hit 250lb mule deer in Canada a few years ago in the same truck. Broke the shroud around the radiator that was it. This truck was totaled. Hit a gray wild donkey standing in the middle of the road at night doing 80. I slow down after dark now and try not to out drive the head lights. We will want pictures.
I'm certainly not going for any records. But I'm sure I'll be legging it over some sections. Coolant and water seems a good idea too. It's gonna get the coolant flushed in the coming weeks anyway, but having some extra on hand is great planning.

My first thought when I starting thinking about this trip was some huge Cibie driving lights, like everyone had on their Cannonball cars in the 70's. Then I reminded myself that I am not doing a Cannonball type run, and I'll be heading for the hotel by the time it gets dark. This trip is supposed to be relaxing! :)

Lots of pictures will be taken and shared.

(I always think out Challengers look so great, and by 21st century standards they do, but then I look at a 70 or 71, or even in this case, a 72.....)

·
Registered
724 Posts

Tires are new
Brakes are new

Any recommendations?

Bring lots of credit cards as gas out here in ca is $3.29 for 91 as everything else is hi also. Good luck on the trip.

·
Registered
4,292 Posts
If you like spicy and Mexican food, be sure to stop through Albuquerque - best on the planet!

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
If you like spicy and Mexican food, be sure to stop through Albuquerque - best on the planet!
I love Mexican, but my stomach doesn't handle spicy that well anymore. Would't want to be in the middle of the desert somewhere and have the spices kick in......

Any places you recommend?

·
Registered
4,292 Posts
I love Mexican, but my stomach doesn't handle spicy that well anymore. Would't want to be in the middle of the desert somewhere and have the spices kick in......

Any places you recommend?
Haha, the last thing you need is to be 100 miles from a toilet when the urge hits! LOL

There's a place called El Pinto, probably my favorite and they have a spectacular outdoor dining area:

https://www.elpinto.com/

Sadie's is also really good, but definitely a step up in the spicy department.

Best New Mexican Restaurant in Albuquerque | Sadie's of New Mexico

Be sure to shoot me a message if you come through :)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts