Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone else pissed about the TV ads for the new Ram Pickups with the 390 hp 5.7 HEMI? Why would Chrysler do that to us after we bought their "performance" cars? Is there any diff. in the engines? I feel it is a slap in the face. We are already behind in the hp dept. after the Mustang GT and the Camaro SS. I like my 2010 R/T, but this is BS.:icon_evil:

·
Premium Member
517 Posts
They weigh a lot more than us, so we can still run circles around them.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
As far as the engine goes, it's the very same motor with the exception of the intake, also it has a different ECM than the Challenger.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Our engines are under rated from the factory. My baseline on a dyno was 332 rwhp with a 15% lost of driveline equals 390hp at the engine. Now with my mods on the car I now have 367 rwhp or 432hp at the engine.

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
The INTAKE and CAM is different. They have the variable intake AND the cam is bigger. Everything else is the same. If wanted, I can put up the specs on both truck and passenger car 5.7 Hemi cams. Actually, here are the specs on the truck cam and car cam.

·
Premium Member
8,295 Posts
Throw your 5.7 on the Dyno...you will very quickly find out that it is putting out well north of 372hp ..Dodge clearly under rated the 5.7 just as they have under rated the 392...various reasons for this.

·
Registered
437 Posts
The INTAKE and CAM is different. They have the variable intake AND the cam is bigger. Everything else is the same. If wanted, I can put up the specs on both truck and passenger car 5.7 Hemi cams. Actually, here are the specs on the truck cam and car cam.
Now that is interesting - I didn't realize that the truck has a different cam. Has anyone tried the truck cam in their chally 5.7 yet?

·
Premium Member
7,304 Posts
Don't forget that trucks do not have to follow the same EPA regulations as cars do so they can be tuned differently from the factory (in addition to what was mentioned above).

·
Registered
9,624 Posts
Funny timing, no pun intended, but last night a Hemi Ram was looking at my R/T pulling away hard.

Entering the ramp on the Interstate, and it's a merge to one lane. I could see him "get on it" behind me, so I did the same.

Left him in the dust by the time I hit the Interstate merge lane. That big 4x4 didn't have a chance, but when I got back down to cruising speed, he spead up, got next to me, and gave me a "thumbs up".

Not too worried about what the adds say. My 2010 may be advertised as 372hp, but it sure feels a lot stronger, especially since I've passed the 5k mark.

Leaving mine stock.

·
Premium Member
488 Posts
Smoke and mirrors by the Dodge marketing department perhaps? Just wonderif its possible to get those elusive 20 ponies back somehow?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
PU engine

I have no doubt we can outrun the trucks. They weigh 5k lbs., what bothers me is ads. I only have about 4k on my 2010, so maybe it'll feel stronger after a few more miles. Right now it just is not that impressive.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have 1900 on mine and it really has never been driven like it deserves, yet, but am I to expect an (feeling of) improvement in power?

·
Premium Member
311 Posts
I have the 390hp 5.7 in my Ram, its a regular cab with the 3.92 axle, I can't believe how fast it is! Its much faster than my old 2005 ram with the 345hp 5.7.

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
I have no doubt we can outrun the trucks. They weigh 5k lbs., what bothers me is ads. I only have about 4k on my 2010, so maybe it'll feel stronger after a few more miles. Right now it just is not that impressive.
Ive had 10 second cars and yeah, a 12-13 second car is not that impressive to me either. BUT I love the Challengers I have. They are not the fastest things in the world but they do look killer and for what they are, there not that shabby in the speed department.

·
Registered
2009 Challenger R/T
2,991 Posts
I have the 390hp 5.7 in my Ram, its a regular cab with the 3.92 axle, I can't believe how fast it is! Its much faster than my old 2005 ram with the 345hp 5.7.
I know a guy with a 2010 single cab Ram R/T, he's running 13.8s with just a tune and an intake. Very fast truck!

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
SRT8Tech do you have any trans noise issues, or could you relate to my issue?
Unfortunately 99% of the 6 speed Tremecs are noisy as hell. Same issues in the Mustangs as well. Only way I could tell if it was a normal sound for the trans is to drive it.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I have a 2008 CC SB 4x4 Hemi auto truck. It has the older 340 hp engine. The truck is strong on low end torque but runs out of "breathe" at +4k rpms. I have an air filter, predator, and exhaust.

I will say this, our 5 speed nag-1's are a better shifting and overall better "feeling" trans than the 545re trans the trucks have. The 545re is an old 3 speed with two overdrive gears. 5th is useless except for highway cruising.

·
Premium Member
559 Posts
Smoke and mirrors by the Dodge marketing department perhaps? Just wonderif its possible to get those elusive 20 ponies back somehow?
I wouldn't worry. Trust me, you got 'em.....:bigthumb:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts