Dodge Challenger Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
I have the 390hp 5.7 in my Ram, its a regular cab with the 3.92 axle, I can't believe how fast it is! Its much faster than my old 2005 ram with the 345hp 5.7.

I have a 2011 Ram 1500 sport....it is fast but my 09 R/T is much faster.

·
Premium Member
1,276 Posts
Another vote for "under rated".
My '09 6 speed R/T dynoed 353 at the wheels, with only a modded airbox. (Not even a CAI.)
That works out to ~390 at the crank.
Don't sweat the ads. It's all there.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Don't forget that trucks do not have to follow the same EPA regulations as cars do so they can be tuned differently from the factory (in addition to what was mentioned above).
Not true, at least in this case... that only applies to vehicles with a GVWR greater than the RAM 1500 (is it 8500 lb?), like the 3500 heavy duty's. Those trucks are rated at 383 hp though with the 5.7L (probably that engine is tuned for a more low-end torque).

I am skeptical of "underrated" claims... maybe your transmission & diff is just more efficient. Someone try pulling the engine out and actually measuring the crank HP :D

Actually it would be interesting to check out the RAM forums and see what kind of wheel HP they are measuring with the 390 hp engine. All those trucks are automatics (for little girls) and the tranny is a 545RFE not that Mercedes thing but it would be interesting to compare with our numbers.

The cam and variable intake manifold of the RAM engine is certainly likely to give an extra 5.5 % horsepower boost (what a marginal difference, but when you've got 370 or 390 it isn't so much a big deal). Maybe someone should try putting a RAM intake manifold on a Chally and cut a hole in the hood to make space, and pretend it is a Shaker!! AFAIK there just isn't enough space to close the hood on a Chally with the RAM intake on top of it, the thing sits right against the hood in the RAM it's so damn tall :lol:

·
Registered
57 Posts
The INTAKE and CAM is different. They have the variable intake AND the cam is bigger. Everything else is the same. If wanted, I can put up the specs on both truck and passenger car 5.7 Hemi cams. Actually, here are the specs on the truck cam and car cam.

Man that's a significantly smaller cam in the Challenger.

258/288 vs 268/290

Even though it's advertised duration.

Can you get a more complete shot of the cam specs including [email protected] and lifts?

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
Man that's a significantly smaller cam in the Challenger.

258/288 vs 268/290

Even though it's advertised duration.

Can you get a more complete shot of the cam specs including [email protected] and lifts?
Chrysler doesnt seem to show what the lift and duration at 50 is. I cant find it anywhere but you can see the differance in the overlap and when the cam opens and closes the valves before and after TDC.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts