Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright so honestly im thinking of either getting a 2015 srt & building it but it's only going to be held up to hellcat level or i was also thinking of doing a motor swap thinking of a 5.7 based 400 motor but im not able to get specs of what the motor is capable of holding. So what do you guys think i should do? Im kinda leaning more to the side of keeping the rt & doing a swap but like i said i dont know much about the 5.7 based 400 motor. If anyone here does i would really appreciate the help.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
382 Posts
Depends on how deep your pockets are, you're going to have more invested in the SRT than what a Hellcat would cost... if you can find one.

If you build the 5.7 you have more options than just 400ci... bigger isn't always better...

·
Registered
424 Posts
My next mod will be to go with Arrington's 5.7 based 392 stroker. The geometry of this block is set up perfect for forced induction. Boring out a 5.7 to 400 or 410 just isn't the ideal situation you want for a FI car. The 400 or 410 are more set up for N/A type build only. Once I combine a 5.7 based 392 stroker with a Procharger, I can easily see me hitting the high 680rwhp to 700 rwhp range. :smile:

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's what i want to do is throw in a procharger but get 700+rwhp so thats why im looking into a 400 motor because i was thinking of doing a 426 but i was told i'll need a 6.1 or 6.4 core (idk what he meant by that).

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
930 Posts
If you're not familiar with the term 'core' regarding an engine type needed for a build-up, then you should probably just go to one of the big vendors like Arrington and tell them what you want in terms of power and driveability, and let them do the parts selection. Either that, or do a LOT of study and learning before you start dictating what engine size you want them to build. As was said earlier, 'bigger isn't always better' when it comes to pairing an engine with forced induction. There are reasons that the Hellcat engine is a smaller displacement than the N/A 392, after all... Bore/stroke ratio, connecting rod length/stroke length (rod ratio), piston skirt length, pin height, piston material, ring land height, all sorts of things play into building a forced-induction motor that won't succumb to detonation or stress-related failures too soon.

·
Registered
424 Posts
That's what i want to do is throw in a procharger but get 700+rwhp so thats why im looking into a 400 motor because i was thinking of doing a 426 but i was told i'll need a 6.1 or 6.4 core (idk what he meant by that).
Core= It's basically the stock block you have in your car.(5.7,6.1,6.4) You send them back your stock block once you receive the brand new stroker block with forged crank and forged pistons.

You can't bore a 5.7 to a 426 so that's why they told you that you need a 6.1 or 6.4 core.

A 5.7 can be bored anywhere from 345 up to a 410.

Hope this helps.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts