Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friend is Planning on doing a 392 swap in a couple years. In the meantime, I would like to add some bolt ons to my 5.7 that would also be beneficial to the eventual 392.

5.7 is stock except with the exception of a cold air kit and cat back.

Can anyone come up with a list of bolt ons that will carry over?

·
Registered
636 Posts
The 5.7 is a good motor man. A 392 is about $7500 plus whatever it costs to install. It is cheaper to upgrade to a SRT than to swap the engine.

I don't know where this thread is headed, because what your friend does to his car has nothing to do with his. If he already HAS a 392 and he is going to a 426 or 440 then I can understand what you are thinking, but your thread implies he has a 345 and he's upgrading to a 392 in a few years... which probably is not really going to happen.

A modded 5.7 is plenty fast don't drink the koo-laid.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Also if you have a manual car now it is already setup with the SRT trans, clutch, driveshaft, rear diff, and half shafts. If it is an auto you have, forget about it :)

·
Premium Member
2,890 Posts
Autos are the same for the 5.7 and 6.4/6.1 as well. Also the axles in the R/T are good till about 550RWHP Us Pre-2011 SRTs have been buying R/T Axles to upgrade because they were beefier than our SRTs versions, also depends if you are planning on running slicks or not.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The 5.7 is a good motor man. A 392 is about $7500 plus whatever it costs to install. It is cheaper to upgrade to a SRT than to swap the engine.

I don't know where this thread is headed, because what your friend does to his car has nothing to do with his. If he already HAS a 392 and he is going to a 426 or 440 then I can understand what you are thinking, but your thread implies he has a 345 and he's upgrading to a 392 in a few years... which probably is not really going to happen.

A modded 5.7 is plenty fast don't drink the koo-laid.
Upgrading to an srt is not necessarily more cost effective. On depreciation alone he is money ahead if he does the swap. The r&r is partially paid for by the sale of his 5.7. Furthermore, after pricing cam, ported heads, headers, etc, he was at 7k for less power than a 392.

Appreciate your opinions on how he chooses to modify his car nonetheless.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Autos are the same for the 5.7 and 6.4/6.1 as well. Also the axles in the R/T are good till about 550RWHP Us Pre-2011 SRTs have been buying R/T Axles to upgrade because they were beefier than our SRTs versions, also depends if you are planning on running slicks or not.
Well I suppose I'm wrong, not gonna argue with a vendor of course. I was under the impression the manuals had bigger everything, 226mm shafts rather than 215mm and all the other goodies. I thought the STP upgraded these parts along with a 3.92 rear end. Now if the autos and the manuals have the same hardware where it matters then that eliminates thousands of dollars in upgrades. Seems like it depends on the year of car we are talking about here, rather than the transmission type.

943, I would look into the headers if it were me. Thing is I have noticed on some years the right and left header gaskets are different on an R/T, but the same on the SRT ( check out TTI headers and you'll see what I am talking about) I have also noticed the more modern hemi ( 2011+) seem to be the same headers for all the cars. Either way if you do a swap, you'll have to upgrade exhaust anyhow so this is a good place to start looking.

A zex kit might be up your alley too. That would go on about anything.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts