Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've seen lots of build threads over the years all in varying degree of power out come. I'm curious to know if anyone has tried to build a Non VVT 5.7 into a stroker using the 6.4 crank? I've recently come into a 6.4 crank (which is forged from factory) and started doing some research. I've seen guys put a 3.795 crank in 5.7's to get a 6.1. This idea is what lead me to believe that the 6.4 crank (3.72) should be able to drop in and create basically a 6.0. Pistons are readily available, but the rods present a problem sort of. I know that the Gen III Hemi rod big end is 2.125, this is close to the Chevy 2.100 pin size. My solution is to have a 6.4 crank turned down to a LS Chevy 2.100 rod size, and end up saving a ton of money in the process for strong rods. If anyone else has thought of this, or has attempted this, please comment. Tell me all of the problems you encountered, or if it is even possible. I'm just trying to make more power affordably. At the end of the day, if I can't do it, I can still use the crank in another application I'm considering, but I'd like to try something different like in the old days when folks took 440 cranks, and used them in 400 blocks, creating 451 monsters back in the day. If you've read this far thanks for reading, and I look forward to hearing any suggestions.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hopefully I'll get some good new from my machine shop later today, They are taking measurements for me, to ensure that the oil holes won't shift, once the rod journals are turned down. I'm hopeful this won't be the case as the journals will only be taken down 25 thousandths. I don't consider that a ton of material, but you never really know, until you know. I'm hoping I'm not the first to attempt this, but if I am so be it. I'm fairly certain it can be done. The bonus here even with the machine work, I can potentially get the short block done for under 1k.

Reactions: MiHiHemi

·
Premium Member
424 Posts
Cheaper, easier, and better off in the long run to just build a 392. Why go through all that extra cost and work when you can easily go bigger? No replacement for displacement.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Cheaper, easier, and better off in the long run to just build a 392. Why go through all that extra cost and work when you can easily go bigger? No replacement for displacement.

That isn’t always true, if I were building an NA motor you are absolutely correct, but this particular motor is being purpose built for a turbo Drag application. With that said the replacement for displacement is boost, as much as a Pre-Eagle 5.7 block can handle. With a boosted application bigger isn’t always better, you want as close to a 1:1 rod to stroke ratio. Additionally there is no 5.7 to 392 kit out there that will cost me less than a grand. With the research I’ve done and the parts I’ve chosen my bottom end will cost me a total of $985, plus or minus $5. I’ve already got turbos and several sets of heads, the most expensive part of this entire ordeal will be the purchasing of a Ritter intake at $700+. At the end of it all I’m hoping to make close to 1000hp with twin 67’s, if not I’ll step up to 76’s. I’ve got plenty of Pre-eagle blocks in my garage so I’m building what I have. To me that’s the fun in hot rodding. That said I like doing it in a manner that is cost effective.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts