Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Id like to start a thread of 5.7 cam swap numbers from aftermarket cams but PLEASE do not post any 392 cam swap numbers ..... strictly after market , custom grind cam swap numbers. Im trying to get a solid base of numbers in comparison to the 392 cam numbers
NO 392 CAM swap #'s
:disappointed:

·
Registered
101 Posts
Hi ghostrt , I am installing a super charger and a cam swap, still waiting for a response from the performance company will inform you when I find out .

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ty 10b .... no one else with after market cam swaps ....

·
Registered
703 Posts
I wish there were. A lopey cam is one of my dream mods, but AFAIK the tuning for the vvt 5.7's just isn't there yet :-(

·
Registered
101 Posts
Order my from Arrington performance today with push rods, it will take a week and half ..so next weekend .

·
Premium Member
Charger 392
403 Posts
Id like to start a thread of 5.7 cam swap numbers from aftermarket cams but PLEASE do not post any 392 cam swap numbers ..... strictly after market , custom grind cam swap numbers. Im trying to get a solid base of numbers in comparison to the 392 cam numbers
NO 392 CAM swap #'s
:disappointed:
Are you just looking for dyno's? CompCam 270, 274, MM custom and inertia types? Here are a few from the various forums I have saved. Another MM Custom Grind just went into a MOPAR 11 out in Nevada this week and tuning is getting done as I type (E-mail tune with Diablotoona). Will post his numbers when it is done.

First on is 09 Chanty 274 Cam with LT headers, Second is 10 Charger MM Custom Grind, Heads and LT Headers
Third is 12 Charger MM Custom Grind with SRT Shorties and Solo Cats, Fourth is 12 Chanty Inertia CrazyJay, Heads, Catback exhaust
Last one is 12 Chanty 270 Cam and LT headers

Attachments

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
hmmmm they don't seem to be any better than just a 392 cam ..... my car dynod at AMP 370HP 406TQ 5.7 with Kooks LT Kooks hi flos MBRP cat back legmaker fender mount CAI and a custom tune from Johan so after market cams only seem to be 30-45 HP over my car now and the 392 cam guys claim a 40HP gain then the 392 cam seems to be the way to go .... although the other RT dynos before cam seems to be low .. bust that's JMO ... not sure but im thinking I may just do the 392 cam

·
Premium Member
Charger 392
403 Posts
hmmmm they don't seem to be any better than just a 392 cam ..... my car dynod at AMP 370HP 406TQ 5.7 with Kooks LT Kooks hi flos MBRP cat back legmaker fender mount CAI and a custom tune from Johan so after market cams only seem to be 30-45 HP over my car now and the 392 cam guys claim a 40HP gain then the 392 cam seems to be the way to go .... although the other RT dynos before cam seems to be low .. bust that's JMO ... not sure but im thinking I may just do the 392 cam
I would look at the numbers throughout the entire dyno run. Torque/hp gains down low and up to 4000-4500 rpms means more to me than what I gain in peak numbers up top. Definitely not there with the CompCam 270 or 274 where you need a torque converter to regain that lost power. Not really there with the 392 cam because most dyno's I have seen show the gains taking off at 4000 rpms with little gained down low.

Not trying to sell a cam (LOL) but the MM custom grind is the only cam I have seen that gives you gains over stock throughout the entire rpms range. Like I said, there is one other guy (GMAC) on the ChargerZ forum that just got his MM Custom Grind cam installed and is being tuned by Johan. He had the shop in Nevada do a baseline run. This will also be the first "that I know of" that will have the dyno before, cam install and dyno after at a shop other than AMP. I expect his numbers to be the same as mine with power increases throughout the run. His results should be available by the end of the week or the first of next. (e-mail tunes back and forth at the dyno)

I will post the before and after dyno for you to look at, but if this MOPAR 11 gets the numbers I expect, IMO you should talk to Scott at AMP and see what kind of deal he can get you on the MM Cam and install.

Reactions: ghostrt

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I would look at the numbers throughout the entire dyno run. Torque/hp gains down low and up to 4000-4500 rpms means more to me than what I gain in peak numbers up top. Definitely not there with the CompCam 270 or 274 where you need a torque converter to regain that lost power. Not really there with the 392 cam because most dyno's I have seen show the gains taking off at 4000 rpms with little gained down low.

Not trying to sell a cam (LOL) but the MM custom grind is the only cam I have seen that gives you gains over stock throughout the entire rpms range. Like I said, there is one guyother (GMAC) on the ChargerZ forum that just got his MM Custom Grind cam installed and is being tuned by Johan. He had the shop in Nevada do a baseline run. This will also be the first "that I know of" that will have the dyno before, cam install and dyno after at a shop other than AMP. I expect his numbers to be the same as mine with power increases throughout the run. His results should be available by the end of the week or the first of next. (e-mail tunes back and forth at the dyno)

I will post the before and after dyno for you to look at, but if this MOPAR 11 gets the numbers I expect, IMO you should talk to Scott at AMP and see what kind of deal he can get you on the MM Cam and install.
yeah ,,, I did talk to Scott and he said the same thing .... and to be honest I forgot he told me that and as soon as you said it , I remembered ..... in fact I remember even posting that some where here .... I think I read to much and its messing me up ... well to much about cams .... lol thanks for the reminder

·
Premium Member
2,891 Posts
People tend to focus on Peak numbers on any dyno sheet and in reality that does not mean squat its the low to mid range is where you are going to need the most gains to get these boats moving.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
People tend to focus on Peak numbers on any dyno sheet and in reality that does not mean squat its the low to mid range is where you are going to need the most gains to get these boats moving.
BOATS ... you got that rite .... lol whats the price on a custom grind for my 5.7????

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
and what springs and limiter???

·
Registered
101 Posts
I am looking to degree my cam and haven't found the secret for adjusting. I center line at 111 degrees and can only get 100 degrees out of it.. any info will help...

·
Registered
262 Posts
The Modern Muscle cam was a fairly poor performer when installed in my car. Here is a dyno run with only the cam swap. Everything else the same. Lost a bunch of power below 4,000 rpms. Cost me quite a bit of money for this swap.
This is in a 5.7 challenger auto with shorty headers, magnaflow mid pipes, ported TB, CAI, 2.5in tailpipes. 180 stat, diablo tune.

Attachments

Reactions: ghostrt

·
Registered
262 Posts
Yeah pretty much. I look at this as practice for my 392 scat pack shaker. When I buy it, I will know what parts work and what doesn't, who to purchase from and which vendors to stay away from. The good ones keep helping you even after the money quits exchanging hands. Some don't.

I'm thinking long tubes, tune, tires, and possibly gears are it for that car.

·
Premium Member
Charger 392
403 Posts
Here is the dyno I promised on page one of this thread, from the guy in Nevada that got P/P Heads & the MM custom grind Cam on his 2011 Charger. Very interesting when comparing it to MoparR/T's dyno posted above. Both have similar mods and they have the same tuner but dyno'd in different locations. The 2011 Charger has a Solo catback and Shorties.

MoparR/T: It is too bad that you did not have a stock dyno (No mods) at the same shop that dyno'd at with the Cam installed. I would venture to say it would look fairly similar to this one posted.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
Charger 392
403 Posts
The Modern Muscle cam was a fairly poor performer when installed in my car. Here is a dyno run with only the cam swap. Everything else the same. Lost a bunch of power below 4,000 rpms. Cost me quite a bit of money for this swap.
This is in a 5.7 challenger auto with shorty headers, magnaflow mid pipes, ported TB, CAI, 2.5in tailpipes. 180 stat, diablo tune.
Just found my dyno that compared my Mods (HF cats, Catback, 87mmTB, CAI, Factory 87 tune) dynojet from Oct that was plotted against my run after the Cam/Shorties install in Dec. Same dynojet a few months apart. I see a pattern here! All three of us are in the 360's rwhp. Tohe second dyno posted is one from the same day back in Oct 13 but with Johan's custom tune with the mods before the Cam/Shorties install.

So looking at the gains from all of these cam installs it looks as if you will get the 30-50 rwhp gains over Stock. Those that got the car dyno'd before any modifications were done. When you look at the gains from a Cam install when the car was modded with many bolt-on's, there does not seem to be that much there. I gained 20 rwhp with Cam/Shorties.
All of the dyno's I posted on page one of this thread were cars that were stock before install.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 57 Posts