Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am sure this has been covered MANY times before:bangin:, I was wonder what some of your opinions are on different cams. Whats your pros and cons, Gains and set backs. Ive been looking at the SRT Max cam, But from what I am reading people say the stock valve springs have a hard time with that cam and also have to put a higher stall in to keep the car from lurching. So what do you guys and gals think the best bang for your buck drop in cam is where you dont have to deal with a bunch of other issues.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
16,789 Posts

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
7,507 Posts
Any cam install on a 5.7 usually requires spring and pushrod (at the minimum) upgrades, especially if you plan to go past the stock 5800 redline. Inertia Motorsports themselves say a higher stall converter is highly recommended.

If you plan on going forced induction, I have read the 6.2 stock cam is an inexpensive upgrade and cam phaser lock is not required but still requires component upgrades.

·
Premium Member
1,808 Posts
Welcome to Challengertalk Fenrir13. I keep tagging @PSM450 , lol. But he has a Jay Greene cam, and is very happy with it

http://www.challengertalk.com/forums/f175/cammed-5-7-r-t-591522/

A Guy

I'm still happy with the Jay Greene 1.5 HL v2 cam. I did switch springs, retainers, pushrods and shims when I did the cam. Jay went through 4 revs on the tune afterwards, he seems very detail focused person and is happy to work with. If you have moderate mechanical skill you "should" be able to do this on your own. The car picked up 36hp and is a blast to drive. Check the video, first pass is 6500 RPM. You can find him on FB

·
Vendor
12,262 Posts
Any cam install on a 5.7 usually requires spring and pushrod (at the minimum) upgrades, especially if you plan to go past the stock 5800 redline. Inertia Motorsports themselves say a higher stall converter is highly recommended.

If you plan on going forced induction, I have read the 6.2 stock cam is an inexpensive upgrade and cam phaser lock is not required but still requires component upgrades.
correct the stock Hellcat cam makes a killer cam for supercharged application 5.7L or 6.4L
Luke

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
7,507 Posts
I'm still happy with the Jay Greene 1.5 HL v2 cam. I did switch springs, retainers, pushrods and shims when I did the cam. Jay went through 4 revs on the tune afterwards, he seems very detail focused person and is happy to work with. If you have moderate mechanical skill you "should" be able to do this on your own. The car picked up 36hp and is a blast to drive. Check the video, first pass is 6500 RPM. You can find him on FB

2013 Dodge Challenger Dyno Run - YouTube
Big fan of the purple and white stripes...thanks for sharing the vid!

·
Vendor
12,262 Posts

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
7,507 Posts
FYI - There is a new hot rod article that came out last month about getting ~70HP (67HP actual) out of a 5.7 with a cam swap using the new HRT.

Cam specs
0.596/0.582-inch lift, 220/230-degree duration, and 113-degree LSA

LoL, here is one way to convert the electronic throttle body into a manual throttle body.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts