Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a "squeaking" sound coming form the rear driver's side of my motor. Sort of sounds like a cricket and it keeps time with the rpms. I had popped my hood because I thought I smelled gas, and wanted to make sure I didn't have a fuel leak. As I leaned down to check for that, I quickly realized I had a quite noticeable squeaking sound. I managed to figure out it's coming from the rear driver's side, but not sure if it's coming from the top side or back side. It's a definite squeak or possible a vacuum whistle, although I didn't see any vacuum lines, but I was in a hurry and didn't spend a ton of time looking (had lunch to get to). I know what the typical lifter tick on these engines sounds like, and this is not a lifter tick. I almost suspected a pulley, but the sound isn't coming from the front. The engine was warm (had been driving highway for about 15 minutes) and you don't really hear it when the hood is closed.

Any ideas on what this might be?

I no longer have bumper to bumper coverage due to age, but I think it still falls under the 5 year powertrain coverage. Not sure if I should diagnose and fix this myself or take it in and see if it's covered. (Or if it's normal, just ignore it)

Thanks in advance :smile:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have heard mine make the same noise as the Malibu in the video (although somewhat quieter), but I don't think that's the issue I'm having at the moment.

I hear this squeaking noise only while my car is idling, as opposed to after I kill it. However, I did run my AC yesterday for the first time in months (but not on my trip today when I noticed the noise), so maybe I'll get a better listen around the AC system to further assess things.

If I didn't know better, it sounds like a rusty rocker arm, but there's plenty of oil in my motor and it's well-maintained (since I've owned it). Which makes me now think maybe it's my oil pump making the sound?Guess I need to research all parts involved in the location I'm hearing the noise and do some digging. Imagine a rusty windmill spinning on a very windy day. It's weird. That's why I originally thought "oh shoot, I have a pulley squeaking" but there's no pulleys near the firewall.

Just trying to avoid the $100 diagnostic at the dealership and then them trying to sell me on repairs I could probably do myself (if it's not a powertrain warranty-covered issue).

If I can get a video of the noise I'll post it, but it will be tomorrow since I have work tonight.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
9,754 Posts
Ah, should have read past the first two sentences. I had a squeak that sounded like it was rocker related on my liberty. Use MMO for 2 oil changes and now the valve train is quiet.

·
Super Moderator
17,237 Posts
makes me wonder if its a bad roller bearing on a lifter...

if an engine makes squealing sounds and its not a belt, tensioner pulley, or external accesory (water pump, alternator, p/s pump, a/c compressor) - that's a bad sign

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
9,754 Posts
BTW, if you smelled fuel...check the intake manifold bolts to make sure they are torqued down. Not uncommon to find these bolt are barely torqued down.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts