Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys, I am a new member, but I'm sure this topic has been covered multiple times but I just have a few questions reguardless...

So here is the deal, I was looking for a srt8 and during the search I came across a good deal on a R/T and couldn't pass it up. I was about to put CAI, long tubes, cat backs, and a tune on my 5.7 when I got to wondering if in the long run it would just be smarter or more cost efficient to swap my engine for a 392.

The questions being...
Is swapping engines a logical move?
How much would it cost to do so (ball park estimate)?
Could I sell my old engine to cover some of the costs?
And if this is a bad idea, what would you guys recommend doing instead to beef up my 5.7?

Thanks in advance for any help gents!

·
Premium Member
2,890 Posts
We have 392 Crate engines here the swap is pretty simple we have done over 20 this year alone, Price wise is cheaper and more cost effective then doing a stoker kit and you could always sell the 5.7 to help with the cost.

Dont forget if you did a stoker you would need to use your engine as the core so you would have nothing to sell to help offset the cost.

·
Premium Member
09 RT Challenger auto
3,467 Posts
Welcome to the forum. MM is a vendor and has good advise and great products.
Many of my parts were purchased from MM.
FlatTop
The 392 drop in is a great choice depending what you may be doing.
Flattop

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you! So just out of curiosity if you don't mind me asking, around how much would it cost to have the swap done on average? How much could I get for my engine/ where would I be able to sell it to cover some of my costs?

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Defintely dont bother with an engine swap IMO. Either throw a stroker kit at it or boost it. Personally i think boost is a better option with the 5.7 because its a tried and true motor. Start with longtubes, a FI oriented cam, and if you think u need more after that, boost it to 7 psi. There are plenty of threads here to back up a minimum 60 rwhp gain on LTs and cam alone with the 5.7

·
Registered
636 Posts
Here's what I can add..... I supercharged the 345 to 8 lbs, made my own CAI, put on LTs, high flows, and true 3 inch cat back. I go on Tim Barth's dyno this very Thursday the 24. I will post torque and HP.

All these parts cost south of $10,000 and I installed everything at home. I am expecting to be well north of 500 rwhp, maybe about 525. If you put in a new cam, forged the motor, and ran 16lbs of boost your gonna be somewhere near 700rwhp and on the verge of breaking driveshafts, halfshafts, clutch etc. Point being a 345 is not a pansy no matter who says what.

I think that crate is gonna cost you about 7500 but your gonna need some exhaust too. Its not smart to go with stock SRT exhaust so your looking at 1300 for headers and gaskets and possibly more if you want catback. So now your talking $8300 to $9500 for like 450 rwhp. It makes more sense to trade the RT for a SRT if you go this route IMO.

So I see 3 options.

Trade in for a SRT
Boost the 345
Drop in a 426

·
Premium Member
2,890 Posts
Thank you! So just out of curiosity if you don't mind me asking, around how much would it cost to have the swap done on average? How much could I get for my engine/ where would I be able to sell it to cover some of my costs?
392 swap for a shop to do would be about 10-12K depending on what options you choose exhaust wise.
Not including the money you could make selling your 5.7

·
Registered
636 Posts
What does a low mileage 5.7 go for?

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Keeping your original engine will also keep your vehicle a "numbers matching" car.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.