Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I put together an audio vid of the different exhaust configurations I have tried on my 5.7:

1) Stock manifolds with corsa extreme 2.5"
2) Stock manifolds with corsa extreme 2.5" mid mufflers removed
3) SW 2" primary with corsa extreme 2.5"
4) SW 2" primary with corsa extreme 2.5" mid mufflers removed

All were filmed with my Samsung S7 on the floor 12 feet away from the rear of the car and temps at or below freezing (car is in the garage). The last 2 were filmed while the car was sitting 12 inch off the ground. What shocks me is the third configuration is the quietest of them all (I filmed it twice with the similar results). I decided to go with 3 because with configuration 4 the car would backfire like a shotgun from 1-2 if you got on it hard. Also when I would do a cold start with 4 my littlest would cover her ears and yell, Daddy too loud! :naughty:

https://vimeo.com/250037709

·
Registered
167 Posts
I kinda liked 4 myself. Sounded more old school muscle car. I don't mind the backfire haha. I did a couple different setup's on mine too, but there really wasn't a huge difference. I have the 2.75 active exhaust. I did the mid muffler, which didnt change much sound, maybe a tad louder. Then did the 3" Flowmaster Outlaw catback. It wasn't much louder either. It actually gives it a more hollow deeper sound. I'm hoping with my headers and high flow cats, it will sound even better.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I still can't believe how quiet the mid mufflers made the car and it is truly disappointing. Maybe in the spring I will put the straight pipe back on and see if a tune can get rid of the backfire. If it was a crackling backfire then I would have no problem but the one I am experiencing is a single loud bang that does not sound muscle at all. The car does not sound anything like the youtube vids where guys are running kooks/JBA and corsa...it really is a head scratcher.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
20,624 Posts
I liked #4

A Guy

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
So I have major cabin fever and decided to remove the mid mufflers...again. All I have to say is woah....does it sound mean with the headers. The gas pedal is truly the volume control. At 45mph in 5th it is surprisingly quiet (no drone) but if you drop to 3rd and hammer the throttle it is LOUD. The icing on the cake is brrraahhhh you get downshifting. Why I did not give the mid muffler delete with the LT header sooner is beyond me. I think the 6.2 cam has also changed the exhaust note...even at idle.

I still would like to give the AWE 3" exhaust a try though. :)

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
20,624 Posts
Sounds like something Bug would do

A Guy

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I really dig this exhaust note but still wonder how the AWE 3" h-pipe exhaust would sound? This set-up sounds more throaty which I think the headers and cam helped with. Recordings with car in the garage and cellphone do no justice to what it really sounds like. Cabin is surprisingly quiet until you get on it and it gets loud to the point people turn and stare. Took it on the highway and there is no drone...in fact at 45 mph and just enough throttle to maintain speed you would think it was stock.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts