Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
7,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I thought my water pump on my 2013 JGC failed yet again (already was replaced twice) at 116 kmiles but it turns out the impeller/bear/seal was fine...it was the bore hole for the heater tube o-ring that was all screwed-up causing coolant to seep past. This was a $40 water pump of RockAuto and I am wondering if it was a reman. This time I went with a Gates water pump which appears to be brand new and came with all seal, temp sensor and seal. For good measure I replaced the thermostat and heater tube O-ring as well. Hopefully this will be the last time I touch this thing.

·
Premium Member
The Bacon Hauler (‘12 Cop Charger)
6,226 Posts
Looks good to me, a little RtV will fix that right up!

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
7,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Only lost about a quart of coolant since the last water pump change which was at around 75 kmiles. Nothing on the floor but the entire front of the engine was caked with a white-ish pink power. I was thinking of RTV but always thought it was a no-no on oring seals. Other problem was that hole was bored out bigger as well which makes me really think it was a reman.

·
Super Moderator
15,437 Posts
that's good info about the Gates branded ones being new units.

with the list price of the Mopar ones being ~ $400(!) and prices running ~ $250s, the Gates version is significantly less expensive

A local member had 19K on his '18 Challenger and I could grip the pulley and it wobbled up and down. Plus he said he could hear noise from it while driving - it was warranty repair on his.

and on the early years '08 - '10, I haven't heard of that many failures. Some have been very high miles - but the accounts of multiple replacements and relatively low miles...makes me wonder about the QC from the supplier that makes these water pumps

1 - 4 of 4 Posts