Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
6,798 Posts
I'd say so. The are in A Lot of FCA vehicles. They also hold up to boost if the tune is right. If anything the water pump is the weak link IMO.

·
Super Moderator
13,708 Posts
In the past, 5.7 Hemi engines, with MDS (automatics), have experienced broken timing chains. Chrysler switched from the black tensioner and guide to white (supposedly stronger) and then to an aluminum tensioner and guide with a plastic face plate (in 2013). Both black and white guides have failed. I haven't heard of the aluminum one failing. Check out this link:

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
6,798 Posts
Does anyone (Aftermarket) make a better than OEM replacement?
Not sure? FWIW I bought a pump from rockauto for $40 and even after a year with the magnuson and thump racing tensioner (puts some serious tension on the belt) and I see no since of the impeller hitting the housing. I think one member here ditched the manual pump altogether and is running an electric pump.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
6,798 Posts
In the past, the 5.7 Hemi engines, with MDS, have experienced broken timing chains. Check out this link:

Yes but I think the more recent 5.7 no longer use the plastic chain guide. Just had my timing chain cover off on my 2015 5.7 and it is aluminum.

·
Registered
10 Posts
From my experience the valve train is a weak link. There has been problems with valve seat falling out and or valve springs breaking and destroying the motor. I have a 2012 RT that had 56k and experienced that problem. The dealership blamed it on water induction into the motor, pointing to the functional hoodscoop and cold air intake (all Mopar products) the only issue I had with this explanation was it happened on a 8 degree January morning. Installing the same rebuilt motor this weekend with Manley forged internals in the block and Manley intake components

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
6,798 Posts
If they are suggesting enough water got into the motor to cause some type of hydrolock I would expect broken/bent connecting rods not busted valve springs. Or are they suggesting there was enough water mist getting into the engine to cool the valve seats causing them to drop? Either way I say BS. Guys run water/meth on these motors in boosted and NA form and no issues.

·
Registered
10 Posts
don’t want to hi jack this post.... but connecting rods 100% usable opted to upgrade everything.... but I’m just one small challenger owner fighting a multi billion dollar company. The sad part is this car is loved and would not get rid of it. I was a loyal Dodge owner.

But the top end are problematic on the 5.7 motors

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
15,759 Posts
ANy idea what they switched?

And the 6-speeds do NOT have MDS and thus have no problem...right?

Mind this is the recall, not saying cars outside this recall couldn't have a failure

A Guy

Attachments

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
6,798 Posts
Have not heard of timing chain failure on an M6 but there are a couple of guys on the forum that had a bad lifter wipe out a lobe on the cam.

·
Registered
93 Posts
118,700 miles on my 5.7 hemi in my '12 M6 R/T. No clatters, weird noises or anything of the sort, just trouble free operation. I use my car mainly for road trips so it's mostly highway miles at 2000 RPM all day long. Runs like a watch, also has original water pump which is leak free and bearing is not sloppy.
If any valvetrain issues ever develop, then it's time to take the time to install new 6.4L cam & hellcat lifters & new timing chain/tensioner set, no MDS here to worry about.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I did a lot of highway driving also, but I should note that if the on ramp was clear in front of me, more often than not I approached it like a drag strip for the 7 years I owned the car. So I guess that would be the equivalent of 100s of 1/4 mile passes. That may have had something to do with the seized up lifter and wiped out cam.

118,700 miles on my 5.7 hemi in my '12 M6 R/T. No clatters, weird noises or anything of the sort, just trouble free operation. I use my car mainly for road trips so it's mostly highway miles at 2000 RPM all day long. Runs like a watch, also has original water pump which is leak free and bearing is not sloppy.
If any valvetrain issues ever develop, then it's time to take the time to install new 6.4L cam & hellcat lifters & new timing chain/tensioner set, no MDS here to worry about.

·
Registered
2013 SRT Core, 6-speed
94 Posts
Actually found one for sale that intrigues me...5.7/6-speed, has headers, full exhaust, and a cam. 110K miles, and it's probably never seen road salt.

·
Registered
4 Posts
In the past, 5.7 Hemi engines, with MDS (automatics), have experienced broken timing chains. Chrysler switched from the black tensioner and guide to white (supposedly stronger) and then to an aluminum tensioner and guide with a plastic face plate (in 2013). Both black and white guides have failed. I haven't heard of the aluminum one failing. Check out this link:
This problem is not unique to Dodge 5.7 hemi engines. Ford EcoBoost, GM and VW and a lot of manufacturers been having the same issues with timing chains stretching and eventually failing. It has to do with VVT and not using full synthetic oil and not changing it more frequently. Use good oil, Mopar oil filter, and change every 3k miles not 6-7k miles and it should be ok.

·
Registered
2018 Dodge Challenger T/A Plus in Yellow Jacket w/5.7L and A8 automatic
835 Posts
This problem is not unique to Dodge 5.7 hemi engines. Ford EcoBoost, GM and VW and a lot of manufacturers been having the same issues with timing chains stretching and eventually failing. It has to do with VVT and not using full synthetic oil and not changing it more frequently. Use good oil, Mopar oil filter, and change every 3k miles not 6-7k miles and it should be ok.
Unless you can substantiate 3,001 mile [synthetic] oil changes (and beyond) causing said timing chain issues, I have a hard time believing it with the quality of almost all oil manufacturers in business today.

I’m sure Blackstone Labs would laugh their asses off at someone dumping 3,001 mile full synthetic oil when compared to a fresh bottle of new oil....

1 - 20 of 47 Posts