Dodge Challenger Forum banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
What about the issue with 5.7 lifters/cam shafts? My dad has had THREE different 5.7's get rebuilt around 150k due to the cam developing a flat spot on one of the cam lobes. I asked the service mgr at my dealership about this. He told me it will eventually happen to mine.

This is my main reason for trading in my 2016 RT for a 2020 Scat Pack as soon as the '20's come out. I wanted to trade my in before it gets too many miles on it.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
5,627 Posts
Just so you know 6.4s are not immune to lifter/cam failure. They use the same lifters, pushrods, rockers as the 5.7 and let's not forget the 6.4 cam generates more lift.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Not that I've followed 6.4's, but I've always heard it was the 5.7's. And if that's the case, and the 6.4's deal with the same issues, then why the hell do we buy these cars knowing that once you reach 150k or so that it could all come crashing down at any moment? It seems that ANY engine made today should be able to go beyond 200k miles with no issues.

If a 6.4 ruins cam shafts as well, then maybe I should just keep my 5.7 till it dies. Mine has "Forever Warranty" and wouldn't cost me anything anyway... I just didn't like the idea of someone having to tear my engine apart.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
5,627 Posts
Way more 5.7s (fleet and pursuit vehicles) than 6.4s so probably why you hear about only the 5.7s. Do a search...this topic has been discussed recently.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
5,627 Posts
BTW it looks like the lifters may have changed at some point in 2015-2016. Not sure on how reliable the info is though?

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
13,619 Posts
Was there buffeting?

A Guy

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
13,619 Posts

A Guy

·
Registered
27 Posts
What about the issue with 5.7 lifters/cam shafts? My dad has had THREE different 5.7's get rebuilt around 150k due to the cam developing a flat spot on one of the cam lobes. I asked the service mgr at my dealership about this. He told me it will eventually happen to mine.

This is my main reason for trading in my 2016 RT for a 2020 Scat Pack as soon as the '20's come out. I wanted to trade my in before it gets too many miles on it.
Update: highest mileage Hemi I have seen is now 370K on a Charger.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Mine's at 157k and climbing daily....

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
5,627 Posts
My JGC 5.7 is at ~120k...motor runs strong and valve train does not make a peep. Also not one darn seal leaks oil and the intake manifold bolts are nice and tight. Back in the day I remember always having to reseal the valve covers or the rear main seal would start to leak...got to love these new engine designs.

·
Registered
2018 Dodge Challenger T/A Plus in Yellow Jacket w/5.7L and A8 automatic
434 Posts
Mine has "Forever Warranty" and wouldn't cost me anything anyway... I just didn't like the idea of someone having to tear my engine apart.
Take a few minutes sometime and read realllllllly closely into that “forever warranty”. What you’ll most likely find out is if the cost of the repairs exceed the value of the car, the warranty company is not obligated to fix it.....very similar to a total loss in the eyes of an automobile insurance company. At most you might get payment in the form of ACV of the car.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Take a few minutes sometime and read realllllllly closely into that “forever warranty”. What you’ll most likely find out is if the cost of the repairs exceed the value of the car, the warranty company is not obligated to fix it.....very similar to a total loss in the eyes of an automobile insurance company. At most you might get payment in the form of ACV of the car.
It covered a rear main seal and exhaust manifold gaskets (easily a $2000 job) on a 300,000+ mile Charger.

A check for the book value would probably go a long way toward a hot-rodded engine. :D

·
Registered
2018 Dodge Challenger T/A Plus in Yellow Jacket w/5.7L and A8 automatic
434 Posts
It covered a rear main seal and exhaust manifold gaskets (easily a $2000 job) on a 300,000+ mile Charger.

A check for the book value would probably go a long way toward a hot-rodded engine. :D
I hear ya.....but.....I would ALMOST bet when the check changed hands, you get the check, warranty company gets the car.

·
Premium Member
263 Posts
Unless you can substantiate 3,001 mile [synthetic] oil changes (and beyond) causing said timing chain issues, I have a hard time believing it with the quality of almost all oil manufacturers in business today.

I’m sure Blackstone Labs would laugh their asses off at someone dumping 3,001 mile full synthetic oil when compared to a fresh bottle of new oil....
My Blackstone Labs report from 2 oil changes ago supports what you say.

·
Registered
2016 Challenger RT Plus
90 Posts
My brother is a city fleet mechanic supervisor for a fairly good size city, so he and his guys wrench on the 5.7 Chargers all day long. Other than the water pump in the older models (not an issue with current ones) he said the only issue they see is the cam shaft, but that’s because these Chargers will just sit and idle for hours every day (highway patrol tends to never shut off their cars). Other than that, he said they’re pretty much bulletproof, and he’s literally the best mechanic I’ve ever met, not saying that cause he’s my brother but he’s seriously a master when it comes to anything mechanic.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts