Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking of replacing the stock cast manifolds on my 5.7 RT with the factory shorty headers from a 6.1/6.4. I understand that I will also need the 6.1/6.4 catted mid pipe as there is a difference in length. So is this mod a direct bolt-on to the stock 5.7 catback exhaust or is cutting involved? And then in the future if I decide to upgrade to a different catback do I purchase the RT or SRT version of said catback?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
The cats are needed , your factory pipes are a smaller diameter than the srt. Srt is 2.75 rt is 2.5 on manual trans and 2.25 on auto.
You should also purchase the srt dipstick and tube

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ah okay, so a reducer would need to be added to the srt mid pipe to properly connect to the factory rt catback.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
I've just performed this mod myself, and as stated above purchasing the SRT dip stick is advised. I didn't do this, and now have to modify one of my new header bolts, or go ahead and purchase the tube as mentioned above. If you don't do this, you will get an exhaust leak. You have no idea how terrible an exhaust leak sounds after spending over 40 hrs on a cam/head/exhaust upgrade. Do this job correctly to really appreciate the gains. Just my .02

1 - 5 of 5 Posts