Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. Wondering if anyone else is having this problem. I checked the oil on my 09 Challenger 5.7 yesterday. That dipstick barely came out. What is the fix for this or should I buy a new dipstick. Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
That should be lubricated. lol. Is it bent and perhaps it was put back upside down??? Are there scrape marks on the stick?

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,846 Posts
Yup, what silver scat is right on. Some are biased/bent to fit the contours of the tube. Although I can't image someone at the factory/shop would force the dipstick in after checking the initial oil level. Otherwise that person is a dipstick.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
While under the hood of my Challenger recently, I used the opportunity to teach my 8-year old grandson some of the parts of the engine. Showed him where all the fluids go in, where the blue-fluid goes in for the "monkey pissers" that clean the windshield. When I showed him the "dipstick", he cracked up laughing. I asked him what was so funny. He said, "My daddy calls me a dipstick when I do something silly." I told him that his Daddy was a dipstick, because he drives a Ford.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The dipstick was very stuck and hard to pull out. I put some oil on it and it's a little better now. After I started this post, I did a search on these dipsticks and it seems like they have been a chronic problem on all of these cars. Many have broken when being pulled out. Many members here bought new dipsticks and said that the new ones worked fine. I think that over time the plastic swells and causes this common problem. I ordered a new OEM on Ebay relatively cheap. The part number is 4792872AF just in case anyone needs one. Thanks for all of your help.

·
Premium Member
7,306 Posts
Yes, that happened on my '09 R/T. It was a bugger to get out sometimes. But it wasn't like that the first couple years for some reason. It was almost like the plastic swelled.

Oil on the plastic didn't help much. To fix it, I took some fine sandpaper and twirled the yellow part on the sandpaper until the fit was good in the dip stick tube. It was then a pleasure to check the oil.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
20,619 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts