Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys
I am a new member to this great forum
i bought my 2017 R/T 5.7, 3 weeks ago, i live in Baghdad, the weather is very hot here (113 F) in night , changed oil last day got the Quaker state blend synthetic oil (5w30)
i saw the oil temperature goes up to 248 when driving (sport mode) like race or want to have fun with little gt mustang :p , is these numbers normal???? or what should i do
thanks very much in advance
note:the fuel is of a very bad quality in Iraq if that matters!!
in normal drive in city its down for (223) with a/c on

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
23,479 Posts
Welcome to Challengertalk ;) The recommended oil for the 5.7L is 5W-20 , but then again, it's 113° at night there o_O

A Guy

·
Registered
15,815 Posts
248 is pretty high for anything but full synthetic and I know you're supposed to run this 5W-20 fuel economy oil but I'd like to try something thicker. What does the dealer or shop there use for oil changes? Did you get any manuals with the car and what does it say for oil usage? It also doesn't help that the 5.7L is the only Challenger engine without an oil cooler.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
3,643 Posts
Have not been able to use my Hellcat in sport mode for any length of time but I've come upon a case or two where someone has -- like on a road course -- and oil temperature can climb to in one case nearly 260F and remain there while on the road course.

Around town I can see my Hellcat oil temperature climb to well over 212F to as high as 230F just driving the car in town and not in a spirited fashion at all. And this in an ambient temperature in the low 70F range.

No experience with the 5.7l engine but the oil temperature given the ambient air temperature and how you were using the car doesn't surprise me. Even the oil temperature when driving in city traffic is not surprising.

If there is a full synthetic oil recommended by Dodge for your car I'd use it if at all possible.

Unless Dodge allows for the use of 5w-20 or 5w-30 I would not run a "heavier" oil. That is if Dodge says to run a 5w-20 oil I would not take it upon myself to run a 5w-30 oil. The high temperature viscosity spec'd by Dodge to use is based at least partially upon engine clearance. A lighter oil like a 0w-20 instead of a 0w-30 suggests an engine built to tighter clearances -- which makes for a quieter engine and one that has a lower oil budget. A thicker oil may not flow as readily into the bearings nor flow out as readily. And in the bearing the heavier oil may heat up more due to more molecular friction.

Crummy gasoline? Too low an octane? Stale? That can be a problem but as long as the engine doesn't exhibit any untoward behavior and the CEL remains dark it is not that much of a problem. Maybe.

You might want to experiment with different brands of gasoline or different stations or perhaps consult with other owners of high performance cars in your area to find out what gasoline they find works best.

Probably not a bad idea to budget for more frequent oil/filter services. And don't forget the engine air filter and cabin air filters.

While Dodge I'm sure does hot weather testing and there are a number of similar cars in use in the hotter areas of the USA -- and the forums are not filled with reports of any issues from the higher ambient temperatures -- the car might benefit from if available a larger/thicker radiator for more cooling capacity. And if there is a good factory or aftermarket oil cooler available for the car/engine look into adding one. A larger capacity oil pan might also be worth considering. The oil cooler will require oil of course to fill it and this can lower the oil level in the oil pan. I would not over fill the engine with oil but consider a larger/more capacity oil pan.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Welcome from Virginia ! Wow Iraq ! I bet people there ask you a lot of questions about your car !
I second the recommendation for a 'oil cooler' addition. I have one on my older 1998 Jeep Wrangler, and it really helps dissipate heat at really slow speeds and adds oil capacity. Has kept my old straight six, 4.0L running great for years. It should help your Challenger dissipate heat.
Have a good one,
best regards

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Have not been able to use my Hellcat in sport mode for any length of time but I've come upon a case or two where someone has -- like on a road course -- and oil temperature can climb to in one case nearly 260F and remain there while on the road course.

Around town I can see my Hellcat oil temperature climb to well over 212F to as high as 230F just driving the car in town and not in a spirited fashion at all. And this in an ambient temperature in the low 70F range.

No experience with the 5.7l engine but the oil temperature given the ambient air temperature and how you were using the car doesn't surprise me. Even the oil temperature when driving in city traffic is not surprising.

If there is a full synthetic oil recommended by Dodge for your car I'd use it if at all possible.

Unless Dodge allows for the use of 5w-20 or 5w-30 I would not run a "heavier" oil. That is if Dodge says to run a 5w-20 oil I would not take it upon myself to run a 5w-30 oil. The high temperature viscosity spec'd by Dodge to use is based at least partially upon engine clearance. A lighter oil like a 0w-20 instead of a 0w-30 suggests an engine built to tighter clearances -- which makes for a quieter engine and one that has a lower oil budget. A thicker oil may not flow as readily into the bearings nor flow out as readily. And in the bearing the heavier oil may heat up more due to more molecular friction.

Crummy gasoline? Too low an octane? Stale? That can be a problem but as long as the engine doesn't exhibit any untoward behavior and the CEL remains dark it is not that much of a problem. Maybe.

You might want to experiment with different brands of gasoline or different stations or perhaps consult with other owners of high performance cars in your area to find out what gasoline they find works best.

Probably not a bad idea to budget for more frequent oil/filter services. And don't forget the engine air filter and cabin air filters.

While Dodge I'm sure does hot weather testing and there are a number of similar cars in use in the hotter areas of the USA -- and the forums are not filled with reports of any issues from the higher ambient temperatures -- the car might benefit from if available a larger/thicker radiator for more cooling capacity. And if there is a good factory or aftermarket oil cooler available for the car/engine look into adding one. A larger capacity oil pan might also be worth considering. The oil cooler will require oil of course to fill it and this can lower the oil level in the oil pan. I would not over fill the engine with oil but consider a larger/more capacity oil pan.
Thank you my friend. I appreciate your help and your feedback :))

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Welcome from Virginia ! Wow Iraq ! I bet people there ask you a lot of questions about your car !
I second the recommendation for a 'oil cooler' addition. I have one on my older 1998 Jeep Wrangler, and it really helps dissipate heat at really slow speeds and adds oil capacity. Has kept my old straight six, 4.0L running great for years. It should help your Challenger dissipate heat.
Have a good one,
best regards
Thanks mate! , we have so many good cars in iraq , this my old 2016 scat pack 6.4 challenger with some srt boys in baghdad :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
248 is pretty high for anything but full synthetic and I know you're supposed to run this 5W-20 fuel economy oil but I'd like to try something thicker. What does the dealer or shop there use for oil changes? Did you get any manuals with the car and what does it say for oil usage? It also doesn't help that the 5.7L is the only Challenger engine without an oil cooler.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Thanks for you replay ! , Unfortunately Dodge did not give me enough information about what i use oil for my car in iraq summer temp , i will try 5w-20

1 - 9 of 9 Posts