Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a 2020 5.7 automatic oil temp usually runs around 223, at 75 degrees outside. In sport mode for a few minutes right up to 235 240, if i take out of sport mode it drops back down pretty quickly. What is the temp for limp mode I should be able to run it in sport mode longer then ten minutes. I understand what sport mode does and run fully synthetic 5w 20 oils as per Dodge with SRT oil filter. Want to be able to do more sport driving then ten minutes. Thats just spirited driving not beat the shit out of it. Coolant is always around 210.

·
Registered
502 Posts
I have a 2020 5.7 as well. Temps will drop as it breaks-in. Mine has 1600 miles on her. 92 degrees outside @ 96% humidity, average oil temp (standard mode) is around 216*. Sport mode increases it to around 219* to 222*. I won't be getting-on the pedal until I've got 3500 miles on it. I use Pennzoil Platinum 5W20 with SRT filter. My average water temp is 210 to 213.

Here is a oil temp reference chart...
Product Slope Font Rectangle Parallel

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I use Pennzoil premium 5w20 as required also, changed oil 3 times with 9500 miles on her. Normal oil temp is 220 in my car at 80 degrees out 65 % humidity. I hit 235 oil temp in no time 10 minutes in sport mode, just driving not getting on it .I have never let her go paste 235 I can cool her down pretty quickly .Was hoping to get more sport mode time then 10 minutes of driving.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Without unlocking the ECM for adjusted fan-on temps and a 192* thermostat, we're stuck with what we've got.

·
Registered
Furious Fuchsia 2010 Challenger R/T Classic A5
610 Posts
Mine's a 2010 R/T with an auxiliary oil cooler and larger capacity pan but...I've been with the platform long enough to know the normal numbers of naturally aspirated Hemis.

• 210-230F is the oil's usual operating temp range (always above the coolant's normal 203F)
  • 230-250F is if you're carving canyon roads or mountain twisties and using higher RPMs
  • 250-280F is if road racing at sustained high RPMs
  • 280F+ is time to ease up and cool things off

·
Registered
502 Posts
Mine's a 2010 R/T with an auxiliary oil cooler and larger capacity pan but...I've been with the platform long enough to know the normal numbers of naturally aspirated Hemis.

• 210-230F is the oil's usual operating temp range (always above the coolant's normal 203F)
  • 230-250F is if you're carving canyon roads or mountain twisties and using higher RPMs
  • 250-280F is if road racing at sustained high RPMs
  • 280F+ is time to ease up and cool things off
Don't think I've seen Furious Fuchsia before.

·
Registered
27 Posts
2020RT automatic as well, I don't think I've seen my temps reach 230+ ever. My high-average usually hovers at 228F (not sure if mode affects it)

5W-20 Penzoil Ultra Plat (2400 miles in), MO-899 filter.

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
4,234 Posts
I use Pennzoil premium 5w20 as required also, changed oil 3 times with 9500 miles on her. Normal oil temp is 220 in my car at 80 degrees out 65 % humidity. I hit 235 oil temp in no time 10 minutes in sport mode, just driving not getting on it .I have never let her go paste 235 I can cool her down pretty quickly .Was hoping to get more sport mode time then 10 minutes of driving.
You can use sport mode longer than 10 minutes. You can use it as long as the oil temperatures stays below some threshold. If the temperature breaches 245F -- this assumes there is no warning light on the dash appearing before this temperature is reached -- and appears to be inching up even higher that would be the time to bring an end to sport mode for a while.

(As an aside I have seen the oil temperature in my 2020 Scat Pack reach 238F/240F in around town driving on a mid 90 degree way. But I have not seen it go higher. And off the surface streets and on the freeway at 70mph the oil temperature drops down to 220F or even lower.)

You can even speak to the dealer service department and relay your info and ask for some feedback from the factory on the oil temperature behavior and what it might consider the oil temperature cut off point to bring the "fun" to a halt.

Might add that is the oil temperature continues to climb while in sport mode this just highlights that it is easy to provide a sport mode via software but not so easy to provide the necessary hardware to deal with the extra heat load the engine produces in sport mode. I'm talking about (at least) a suitable engine oil cooler to keep oil temperature under control.

IOWs the presence of sport or even track mode alone doesn't make the car a "race" car.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Correction... I use Pennzoil Platinum 5W20.

Personally, I would shutdown Sport Mode at 255 (edited) degrees. Adjusting Sport Mode RPM shift range would help keep temps down a bit. Whether or not this can be done via tune, I don't know? Seems like HPT offered this as an option.

·
Registered
Furious Fuchsia 2010 Challenger R/T Classic A5
610 Posts
Just DRIVE the darn car - even in "Sport" mode. Engine oil at 235F is not a concern (250F start paying attention, 275F tone it down tiger).

OP, you mentioned Limp Mode - that's just for the slushboxes as far as I know. I'd have to double check but off the top of my head it's when the trans oil reaches 250F is when it goes into limp mode with a dash warning and code along with it. Coolant over 240F will throw CELs and you can't miss the steam coming out of the hood from the venting overpressurized radiator cap. Not sure if there's a CEL/DTC for overheated engine oil - there certainly is one for low/lost/no oil pressure though!

Reactions: stevewhite

·
Vendor
13,262 Posts
Just DRIVE the darn car - even in "Sport" mode. Engine oil at 235F is not a concern (250F start paying attention, 275F tone it down tiger).

OP, you mentioned Limp Mode - that's just for the slushboxes as far as I know. I'd have to double check but off the top of my head it's when the trans oil reaches 250F is when it goes into limp mode with a dash warning and code along with it. Coolant over 240F will throw CELs and you can't miss the steam coming out of the hood from the venting overpressurized radiator cap. Not sure if there's a CEL/DTC for overheated engine oil - there certainly is one for low/lost/no oil pressure though!
agreed, 235 is non concern

·
Registered
502 Posts
Just DRIVE the darn car - even in "Sport" mode. Engine oil at 235F is not a concern...
Sorry, I meant to say 255 degrees. I hit 235 degrees (in sport mode) on the regular. Not sustained, but do run it that hot. I never run hotter than 240 degrees while breaking an engine in.

agreed, 235 is non concern
I think most would agree that 235 degrees is where you want to begin being mindful of temperature rise. Never higher than 250* for me, post break-in.

·
Vendor
13,262 Posts
routinely see 270 in the race car, prior to the cooling system mods, we use to shut down at 280plus

massive Fluidyne modified radiator, two cooling fans, no condenser, two oil coolers, two heat exchanger, etc

Car Vehicle Vehicle registration plate Tire Automotive lighting

·
Registered
2020 Challenger R/T Scat Pak
288 Posts
While not a 5.7, my 2020 6.4 runs in the 240 range often and not in sport mode. Not hot dogging it, just driving in the mountains here. 249 has been my highest so far, 245 just the other day. It takes a few minutes to get back down into the 220's. Everyone seems to say it's normal, but I wouldn't mind a better oil cooler.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I know these engines run hotter oil to get moisture out of oil and emissions crap .I will cool it down when it gets into 250 range. Just want another opinion on it. Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
'16 A8 Scat Pack
10,929 Posts
While not a 5.7, my 2020 6.4 runs in the 240 range often and not in sport mode. Not hot dogging it, just driving in the mountains here. 249 has been my highest so far, 245 just the other day. It takes a few minutes to get back down into the 220's. Everyone seems to say it's normal, but I wouldn't mind a better oil cooler.
FWIW, I run my '16 SP A8 in Sport Mode full time. Live in an hilly area, mostly twisties and hilly roads.

Temps 215°- 220°F normally.

Throwing it around will rise to 230° ish.

Mid Summer cruise night at a certain town with an hour of FUN driving through town have hit 249°F.

Never have had to "let up" to cool things down. 31k (s)miles with no issues.

Just run the PUP 0-40 and SRT filter.

·
Registered
502 Posts
FWIW, I run my '16 SP A8 in Sport Mode full time. Live in an hilly area, mostly twisties and hilly roads.

Temps 215°- 220°F normally.

Throwing it around will rise to 230° ish.

Mid Summer cruise night at a certain town with an hour of FUN driving through town have hit 249°F.

Never have had to "let up" to cool things down. 31k (s)miles with no issues.

Just run the PUP 0-40 and SRT filter.
Is PUP better than PP? I wanted PUP, but I couldn't find any locally. What about Amsoil?

·
Registered
'16 A8 Scat Pack
10,929 Posts
Is PUP better than PP? I wanted PUP, but I couldn't find any locally. What about Amsoil?
PUP 0-40 meets the factory specs for the 392. That's what I've been buying at my dealer for $7.50/quart.

In other weights, I'm not sure if Pennzoil has them all or not in PUP.

Been using PP in other vehicles. Wally World has the 5 quart jugs for usually for under $25.

Honestly, if the engine doesn't require the PUP spec oil like the 392's, I wouldn't hesitate using the correct weight PP.

That said, I don't and won't consider Amzoil.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts