Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What did you guys change them too? I'm aware the 5.7 uses copper spark plug and the SRT8 uses Platinum, but whats the best spark plug for the 5.7? ie. brand, type, and cost

·
Registered
664 Posts
You don't need to replace your plugs at 30,000 miles you are throwing away your money if you are going to do that. No need to worry about at changing them for at least another 60,000 miles +

and since your running a stock engine you should really just being using the stock plugs that came with the car no need for a stronger spark if you're not creating the need for one.

·
Registered
154 Posts
you can easily go 75-80 thousand miles with todays cars.on there factory spark plugs. in my old hot-rod days 1969-72 we would change points,plugs, cap every month or 2. and for sure before any street race.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info guys, however my dealer said i need to do a transmission flush, rear differential service, Fuel Injection service, and have spark plugs replaced to keep my Limited Lifetime Power Train Warranty covered. I asked If I can do these things myself and was told I couldn't because anyone can purchase parts but it doesn't mean they were installed properly. I either have to do it through the dealer or go to another shop where I can have a receipt stating what they did.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Thanks for the info guys, however my dealer said i need to do a transmission flush, rear differential service, Fuel Injection service, and have spark plugs replaced to keep my Limited Lifetime Power Train Warranty covered. I asked If I can do these things myself and was told I couldn't because anyone can purchase parts but it doesn't mean they were installed properly. I either have to do it through the dealer or go to another shop where I can have a receipt stating what they did.
Read the warranty. You can do your own maintenance. He just wants the $.

·
Registered
155 Posts
You know, I've talked to a guy that worked in several dealerships throughout some years and I asked about that. He said that as long as I bring it around for it's 5 year inspection and do regular oil changes, I should be fine. But, that was just his Experience, and what he's dealt with. I don't really think the guy you've talked to has the right to void that warranty for not doing the above...

...it would be in our best interest to keep all receipts and work done to show you've cared for your car, just in case.

Sent from my iPhone

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
<< ...my dealer said i need to do a transmission flush,...>>

Avoid that - I've heard horror stories about transmissions being flushed and failing shortly afterward. Fluid change would be okay but not a flush. I doubt the manual even calls for a fluid change at that mileage but I'm too lazy to go out in the garage and look at it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Replacing the spark plugs at 30,000 miles is correct for copper plugs. Replace them with the original equipped brand (Champion) and use anti-sieze on the threads.
The transmission shouldn't need any service at 30,000 miles.

·
Registered
464 Posts
TSB 26-003-07

I have seen a few TSB's recommending not to flush the transmission. I will try to look up the one for Challengers tomorrow at work.

I know,,,dealers have flush machines and use them all the time. Drain and fill good, power flush, not so good in my opinion.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Once again Thanks for all the input guys, I'm now contemplating wether I should do the tranny flush

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
TSB 26-003-07

I have seen a few TSB's recommending not to flush the transmission. I will try to look up the one for Challengers tomorrow at work.

I know,,,dealers have flush machines and use them all the time. Drain and fill good, power flush, not so good in my opinion.
I wonder.. Do you think if I bring up the TSB on the cars you posted and argue the idea of a transmission failure in the future as a result I can get a simple tranny oil change which would save at least 75 dollars because all I'd really need is the filter, and ATF+4

·
Registered
353 Posts
Challengerboi,
Find another dealer! I hate the dealer I bought my car from but they were the only ones in the area that had the model I wanted. I've gone elsewhere for all my maintenance.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I dont like my dealer much either.. I have a few good friends in the service department and unfortunately they cant help me, they recommend what the manager and tech say! my parents paid 37,000 for a base R/T w/20 chrome clad, sunroof, and Sirius.. No nav, leather, uconnect, or evic. I can however say I had my challenger before most people. Purchased in 2008 as a 2009 but I wish I would have waited :/ oh well no point crying now..

·
Registered
40 Posts
Do what the book say. The other stuff is expensive and unnecessary. Your warranty is still good if you do everything that is in the book, and your car will last just as long. You can do everything yourself, so long as you can show then that you did it all, so save your oil receipts.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Once again Thanks for all the input guys, I'm now contemplating wether I should do the tranny flush
I would only do what is listed in the OWNER's MANUAL as this is what Chrysler requires for the warranty. Doing things like tranny flush, if it screws up the tranny and Chrysler doesn't recommend the flush, Chrysler isn't going to want to pay you for a new one.

Keep all your parts, oil, filter reciepts and write down the mileage and date in a book, like a spiral notebook or in the owner's manual on the maintenance schedule, if anything happens that is all you need.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I would only do what is listed in the OWNER's MANUAL as this is what Chrysler requires for the warranty. Doing things like tranny flush, if it screws up the tranny and Chrysler doesn't recommend the flush, Chrysler isn't going to want to pay you for a new one.

Keep all your parts, oil, filter reciepts and write down the mileage and date in a book, like a spiral notebook or in the owner's manual on the maintenance schedule, if anything happens that is all you need.
I'm gonna ask my buddy next time I go If he can print me out my car history report on when my cars oil was changed and at how many miles I'm sure he will do it. He gave me a dealer print out that said my vin, purchase date, and every warranty I have and how long till it runs out.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Replacing the spark plugs at 30,000 miles is correct for copper plugs. Replace them with the original equipped brand (Champion) and use anti-sieze on the threads.
The transmission shouldn't need any service at 30,000 miles.
actually the oem plug is ngk lzfr5c11....

1 - 20 of 23 Posts