Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quick question. Does anyone else have a ticking sound coming from what sounds like the front right side of there challenger? Not sure what it is so I’m trying to get a idea of what it can be.

·
Registered
2011 SXT Built in the Canada Plant
2,330 Posts
Do you have a Video with Clear Audio you can share? Also what Year is the car and When you say Ticking Inside or Outside?

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
26,760 Posts
Welcome to Challengertalk Alex ;) If you have a video, you'd need to host it somewhere (YouTube, Vimeo, Onedrive, Drop Box, etc.)

A Guy

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
4,209 Posts
Sounds like something loose and under slowing down moves and that is what you hear.

You need to check the front suspension, steering, brakes, and panels and well, just about every other thing for something that is loose and can move when slowing down and cause the noise.

You say the noise is coming from the front the right side? But car noises are tricky. Check the cabin carefully for something loose on the floor under a seat or in a storage bin or even something loose in the trunk.

·
Premium Member
1,930 Posts
Quick question. Does anyone else have a ticking sound coming from what sounds like the front right side of there challenger? Not sure what it is so I’m trying to get a idea of what it can be.
Hi Alex12,
Sorry to hear you are experiencing this, we certainly understand why this would be concerning. If you end up addressing this with your local Dodge dealer, please let us know via PM. We'd be more than happy to provide you with an additional layer of assistance for that process.

Rob
Dodge Cares

·
Registered
22 Posts
Sounds like it is probably the valve lifters. I had a 1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse that would make the same sound.

·
Registered
27 Posts
That is your timing chain, and just and FYI there have been two recalls on that part. One they notified us and the other one they did not. You better get that checked. My engine blew and they would not pay for the $8K repairs.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2008 Charger with the 5.7 and just had the ticking sound as well. One of the manifold bolts stripped out and had to be replaced. That appears to have solved the problem.

·
Registered
1 Posts
For me, that clicking is always a small rock or pebble in the tire tread.

·
Registered
2012 Dodge Challenger R/T Classic
141 Posts
Lots of leaps in diagnoses here that are questionable. It’s not a “tick” from the engine but something “whacking” around inside, when the g-force of the car shifts from back to forward. I’d check if you have something rolling back and forth in your glove box, like the wheel lock key.

·
Registered
2018 Challenger R/T Plus - Billet Clearcoat
739 Posts
That is your timing chain, and just and FYI there have been two recalls on that part. One they notified us and the other one they did not. You better get that checked. My engine blew and they would not pay for the $8K repairs.
I have a 2018 and there is no recalls for the timing chain on mine.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi Alex, not sure if you got an answer for this, but I thought I would share. I have the same sound from my car and have had it diagnosed. It is a belt pulley at the front of the engine near the water pump. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Sounds like an interior sound. Loose wire swinging or an a/c duct door . Just guessing though. Doesn't sound like an engine noise. I had a noise only when I took my foot off the gas a few weeks ago. At first it sounded like an engine or transmission issue. Couldn't really place where it was coming from. Then a truck pulled along side and I could hear it was from the rear area. I have after market Shelby Cobra wheels on my RT. When I got home I discovered that all 5 lug nuts were finger loose on the left rear. The sound was the wheel rocking back and forth on the studs. Someone must have tried to steal my wheels and got scared away. Tightened them all down and the sound went away. And, yes I have have locks on my wheels. Locks are only for honest people.

Also just check your center console for stuff moving around.

Reactions: MorrisGray

·
Premium Member
119 Posts
I would not call that a "ticking" sound. I agree it sounds more like something rolling around with accel/decel.

·
Registered
2015 SRT 392
73 Posts
Check in the cup/bottle holder in the passenger door. I had a noise that drove me crazy, same as you... lower rpm's when I let off the gas. Turned out there was something in the door cup holder rolling around.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Check in the cup/bottle holder in the passenger door. I had a noise that drove me crazy, same as you... lower rpm's when I let off the gas. Turned out there was something in the door cup holder rolling around. View attachment 1026870
My experience, it’s always a pebble in the tread or seat belt in passenger seat with no passenger.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Yes, i had that on my 2019 Scat Pack WB. I would hear it coming from my front wheel during slow speed in rev.
Took it to the dealer. Guy said it was a loose wire in the wheel assembly. It was something they saw before, not that common, but they knew what it was. It got fixed in about 45min….

1 - 20 of 33 Posts