Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there guys,
Long story short I have a 2010 RT classic that had a lovely lifter failure that ate a cam lobe.
So last week I got a great deal on a 6.1 from a 2006 charger srt with 55k miles for 1000$
I put the motor in the challenger, and used my challengers wiring harness and pcm, currently waiting on the diablosport tuner in the mail to get a 6.1 tune.
Tried firing the motor up on the current 5.7 tune just to see if it’d run and it cranks and bucks but no fire. Will I need to disable the VCT via diablosport once that comes in, to get it to start? and is it normal that it won’t run on the 5.7 even sluggishly? Lastly, all the sensors on the. 6.1 plugged right into my 5.7 harness, but are there any sensors I should upgrade to a 2010 model year sensor from the 2006 that were on the motor? Many thanks!

·
Premium Member
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy
4,091 Posts
Hey there guys,
Long story short I have a 2010 RT classic that had a lovely lifter failure that ate a cam lobe.
So last week I got a great deal on a 6.1 from a 2006 charger srt with 55k miles for 1000$
I put the motor in the challenger, and used my challengers wiring harness and pcm, currently waiting on the diablosport tuner in the mail to get a 6.1 tune.
Tried firing the motor up on the current 5.7 tune just to see if it’d run and it cranks and bucks but no fire. Will I need to disable the VCT via diablosport once that comes in, to get it to start? and is it normal that it won’t run on the 5.7 even sluggishly? Lastly, all the sensors on the. 6.1 plugged right into my 5.7 harness, but are there any sensors I should upgrade to a 2010 model year sensor from the 2006 that were on the motor? Many thanks!
All good questions, I don't have any answers, but I'd start with making sure things like crank/cam position sensors, and coil packs are the same.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
9,435 Posts
Well the 2010 5.7 motor is a VVT motor so the crank reluctor ring has more teeth as opposed to the pre-eagle (non-VVT) motors. Not sure how the 5.7 PCM can be made to run the 6.1 as that is something that cannot be changed in the tune. Although, the counts in some of the tables can be modified.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
9,435 Posts
Here is some more info. I think @Chizzle swapped a 6.1 into his 2010 5.7.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hmm ok through that thread I saw someone said they swapped a 2006 6.1 into a 2010, so there is that. Bad part is he was online 11 months ago ? but all the physical work of dropping it in is done, now it’s just getting the computers to talk to one another. Luckily I’ve been buying pieces for my RT for a couple years and have completely swapped over everything from an SRT in the process and, now the big ticket item awaits ?

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Like Challytatum said the issue is the Crank signal to the PCM. You will have to do one of two things. Swap to a 6.1 PCM. Or swap the tone ring on the 6.1 crank to the current 5.7 crank. To swap the tone ring you will need to pull the crank. The PCM will be the easier thing to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Once you go through the list of suggestions above, make sure that you check one more thing. I watched a similar swap done and the car refused to fire. Turns out that the anti theft mechanism was preventing things from working. Once that was cleared up, everything worked fine. Just another avenue to pursue. Good luck.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Like Challytatum said the issue is the Crank signal to the PCM. You will have to do one of two things. Swap to a 6.1 PCM. Or swap the tone ring on the 6.1 crank to the current 5.7 crank. It sure how much work is involved in either but anything can be accomplished with time and money.

you can’t swap reluctor rings because rt is a 3 bolt and srt is 4 bolt the tune can indeed account for this change

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
That’s actually not true. I’ve done this several times before. You just don’t use one of the bolts. But you are right. The early 5.7 (Pre-Eagles) use a 3 bolt design and the SRT’s use a 4 bolt design. 58 tooth tone wheels use 4 bolts also.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts