Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Challenger 6M- Brilliant Black, 426 stroker, Hellcat rear cradle, ZF 3.90 diff, DSS 1 piece
1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at picking up a bare 6.1 block from an 07 and doing a slow build to swap into my 2010 R/T.
Would the stock wiring harness that's in my R/T now hookup to all the sensors on the 6.1?
I know the tune will need to be adjusted but is there anything physically different (sesnor wise) other than the block & intake?
Does the 6.1 have VVT?

Thanks in advance.

·
Super Moderator
16,216 Posts
The 6.1 engines never had VVT.

The wiring harness for the 6.1 is probably more related to the '05 - '08 5.7s, but all those had MDS, so there's wiring on the harness for that.

The VVT system appeared initially with the '09+ "Eagle" 5.7s and the 392 / 6.4 had this from the start in '11 when they came along.

Reactions: chizzle1

·
Registered
2010 Challenger 6M- Brilliant Black, 426 stroker, Hellcat rear cradle, ZF 3.90 diff, DSS 1 piece
1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The 6.1 engines never had VVT.

The wiring harness for the 6.1 is probably more related to the '05 - '08 5.7s, but all those had MDS, so there's wiring on the harness for that.

The VVT system appeared initially with the '09+ "Eagle" 5.7s and the 392 / 6.4 had this from the start in '11 when they came along.
But I should still be able to wire up the accessories, throttle body, tps, etc with the stock wiring harness in the car right?
I want it to be 99% plug & play, if not I'll just wait & build the 5.7

·
Super Moderator
16,216 Posts
But I should still be able to wire up the accessories, throttle body, tps, etc with the stock wiring harness in the car right?
I want it to be 99% plug & play, if not I'll just wait & build the 5.7
If you transfer the 5.7 harness to the 6.1, it ought to work.

the thing I remember between the two engines in the '09 - '10 years is the IAT connector was different. If you move the 5.7 harness over, that would offset that issue.

The calibrations are going to be the issue and not having the PCM trying to communicate with a VVT solenoid that isn't present on a 6.1. (if using your 5.7 PCM with the engine swap)

If you're going to use the 6.1 PCM (remember these are coded by VIN and sales codes for engine / trans) don't know if the pin-out is exactly the same between a 5.7 and 6.1

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you transfer the 5.7 harness to the 6.1, it ought to work.

the thing I remember between the two engines in the '09 - '10 years is the IAT connector was different. If you move the 5.7 harness over, that would offset that issue.

The calibrations are going to be the issue and not having the PCM trying to communicate with a VVT solenoid that isn't present on a 6.1. (if using your 5.7 PCM with the engine swap)

If you're going to use the 6.1 PCM (remember these are coded by VIN and sales codes for engine / trans) don't know if the pin-out is exactly the same between a 5.7 and 6.1
I'll be purchasing the block only, I'll be using all the stock parts from the 5.7 chassis (PCM, wiring harness, etc).

I'll have to mod the tune in my 5.7 PCM with my hp tuners suite, I can disable the VVT function and turn off monitoring for the solenoids as well.

I am probably going to use a 392 SRV intake rather than the keg style 6.1, better power thanks to the door.

This all hinges on being able to build up the motor without having the challenger down, I can drive the car while I'm putting the motor together and then have the local shop I use do the remove & re-install.

I was thinking about pulling the motor & trans myself but I have heard horror stories about trying to correctly setup the dual disc clutch...

·
Super Moderator
16,216 Posts
Sounds like it should work - are you using 6.1 heads?

Reason I ask, if you put the Eagle 5.7 heads, you'll end up with CR that is much higher than the stock 5.7 has at 10.3:1.

The 6.1 CR was 9.6:1 with the stock heads those engines have.

Agreed that if you don't experience setting up / install of a clutch, its not a task I would attempt. Would like the experience, but never did this myself either.

·
Registered
179 Posts
The electrical connections will be fine, I put a 2006 6.1 in my 2010. Let me know if you have questions, I did it all myself last year. The clutch is easy and stick with the 6.1 manifold.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sounds like it should work - are you using 6.1 heads?

Reason I ask, if you put the Eagle 5.7 heads, you'll end up with CR that is much higher than the stock 5.7 has at 10.3:1.

The 6.1 CR was 9.6:1 with the stock heads those engines have.

Agreed that if you don't experience setting up / install of a clutch, its not a task I would attempt. Would like the experience, but never did this myself either.
If I could use the 5.7 heads that would save me a pile of cash (~$2k).
Mine has the 09-up eagle heads (with the upgraded springs i added), so they should flow well enough. I didn't know they would bolt up tho. Many thanks for that information.
Wonder if the 392 cam I'm running would work? I'm thinking no since it's a VVT cam.
I'm planning on doing an E85 conversion, so I should be ok with higher than stock compression (and later on a maggie).

The electrical connections will be fine, I put a 2006 6.1 in my 2010. Let me know if you have questions, I did it all myself last year. The clutch is easy and stick with the 6.1 manifold.
Awesome to hear it worked, this is almost exactly what I am doing. The block is from an 07 6.1
What heads, cam, and TB did you use?
As mentioned above, if I could re-use the heads (and shorties) from my 5.7 that would be great.

·
Registered
179 Posts
HHP 6.1 heads, hhp 2r cam and Arrington 90mm tb But your stock throttle body will work. You really only need a couple things for a 6.1. Water pump, damper, id use 6.1 manifold, either an adapter or get a 6.1 ac compressor. Exhaust manifolds are the same, you can use eagle heads but you should choose pistons based on those heads. Get AJ to bench tune your pcm for the 6.1 programming and then you just leave the vvt portion of the harness unplugged

·
Super Moderator
16,216 Posts
I don't know if a 6.4 VVT cam would work in a 6.1 - the front journal of a VVT cam has those ports for the solenoid - and don't know how the front bearing is on those non VVT engines.

Probably either go with a grind favor forced induction (if you're thinking of that) or the off the shelf Comp "266" would be a choice of N.A. engine.

·
Premium Member
2,891 Posts
I don't know if a 6.4 VVT cam would work in a 6.1 - the front journal of a VVT cam has those ports for the solenoid - and don't know how the front bearing is on those non VVT engines.

Probably either go with a grind favor forced induction (if you're thinking of that) or the off the shelf Comp "266" would be a choice of N.A. engine.

VVT Cam will not fit at all

·
Registered
179 Posts
Don't use a Comp 266 cam either, call Modern Muscle or one of the other vendors and get a cam recommendation based on your goals

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
HHP 6.1 heads, hhp 2r cam and Arrington 90mm tb But your stock throttle body will work. You really only need a couple things for a 6.1. Water pump, damper, id use 6.1 manifold, either an adapter or get a 6.1 ac compressor. Exhaust manifolds are the same, you can use eagle heads but you should choose pistons based on those heads. Get AJ to bench tune your pcm for the 6.1 programming and then you just leave the vvt portion of the harness unplugged
where can I get the adapter for the AC compressor?
The timing cover looks the same as the 5.7, but the water pump from the 5.7 won't work?

I'm going to dump a stock 6.1 tune on my PCM and go from there, i can disable the VVT portion of the PCM.

I'll get with Arrington's or HHP and see what it will take to make the heads work with the stroker kit I want to install.
I am hoping I can keep the piston oil sprayers with the stroker crank.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Did the stock PCM work regarding loading a 6.1 tune, or did you modify the 5.7 tune?

·
Registered
179 Posts
where can I get the adapter for the AC compressor?
The timing cover looks the same as the 5.7, but the water pump from the 5.7 won't work?

I'm going to dump a stock 6.1 tune on my PCM and go from there, i can disable the VVT portion of the PCM.

I'll get with Arrington's or HHP and see what it will take to make the heads work with the stroker kit I want to install.
I am hoping I can keep the piston oil sprayers with the stroker crank.
I used 6.1 timing cover and water pump. Can't remember for sure if that was mandatory but I think it was. I sent my PCM to AJ and he reprogrammed to 6.1 and bench tuned it.

I had Arrington make me a AC adapter, but since they got bought out I'm not sure if you can get one from them. You can always buy a 6.1 compressor.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I would possibly sell the adapter, I'm not using it now since I went to the blower.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I would possibly sell the adapter, I'm not using it now since I went to the blower.
Please hang on to the adapter for me, I'll shoot you a PM.
I dropped off the block to the machine shop for vat, new cam bearings, and a .30 over bore.
I need to drop off the main caps to them on Monday so they can torque them down and check to see of the block needs to be line-honed.

I think I will probably go with a 6.1 intake just for simplicity when plumbing the AFR shaker & later the pro-charger / maggie.
Someone was telling me that edelbrock has come out with their own improved version of the 6.1 intake, i'll do some research and see what that's about.
I'm going to shoot HP tuners an email and see if I am able to re-program my 5.7 PCM to run the 6.1

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
dumb question: can I run a 5.7 intake on the 6.1 until i find the intake I want to use?
I've been reading about the different intakes and it seems the 6.1 and 5.7 intakes are interchangeable (except for the fuel rails).
Does the 5.7 intake flow enough to support the 6.1?
If I can run the 5.7 intake for a while until I get the 6.1 intake I want it would be great.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
looks like the water pump, oil pan, timing cover, and a few other odds & ends do call for a different part number.
Anyone have a spare timing cover? That shit is expensive.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
do you recall if the oil pans are interchangeable between the 6.1 and the 5.7? I know the windage tray is different, but if that's all I should be able to make it work. I need to clearance the windage tray anyway.

looking at the pics and aftermarket offering it looks the same.
if anyone has any parts for the 6.1 accessory system I would be interested in purchasing.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts