Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm weighing options for more power and a new 392 certainly is an option. I see Arrington's 5.7 to 392 kit/parts and am seeking any opinions or experience with this option. Thanks to all who respond.

·
Banned
903 Posts
Well unless you have a local machine shop that has a really good reputation that you trust I would highly recommend going the short block route. If you buy the kit, the block still needs to be cleaned,inspected,cylinders checked & honed,check the main bearings for alignment etc, something I wouldn't trust to be done properly at your every day auto parts machine shop. For the money I think you would be way ahead buying the short block from one of the reputable builders on this forum.

·
Banned
4,698 Posts
Arrington does nice work and their service is very good. Had them drop in a forged short block 5.7 stroked to a 6.0 and I've put some hard miles on it with a blower and no prob's. The high end Mahle pistons they use take a beating and don't blink (not to be confused with the Mexican stockers Dodge uses).

The Arrington 392 is a beast. There are a few on here running it including Mopar408. I'm sure he'd be happy to give you his two bits.

I agree with dph...short block would make life easier but I'm simple that way ;-)

Good luck!

HemiSam

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Mopar408 has the 6.1 to 392 kit which is completely different than the 5.7 to 392.

If you trust your local machine shop, you can go with the rotating assembly, otherwise get a short block.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the thoughts. I'm in NW WA State and would probably ship my 2010 R/T 6 speed to Arrington & have it shipped back. One consideration is how much else would need to be upgraded ie clutch, etc. Arrington has told me their 426 Hemi is a drop in, and so that is an option also. I just don't want to get in over my head with an open checkbook replacing/upgrading parts without knowing what really is going to be the right way to approach this. My alternative is to just buy a new 392, but I'm into my R/T for $30k and think I can do better upgrading to 500+hp Arrington 392 or 426 rather than spend $50k for a new 392.

·
Administrator
2009 Challenger R/T
8,919 Posts
Well you need to ask yourself what are you going to do with the car before you pull the trigger, N/A, FI down the road, drag racing, autocross, just plain fun with around 500hp. All these questions need to be thought before you jump in and ship your car across the country. Reach out to some of the guys in your area and see what they have to say. with 500 rwhp on N/A motor your clutch will be border line depending on how hard you plan to run it but as long as it's out I would upgrade to the spec 900, you may want to consider SRT8 exhaust manifolds also as the RT manifolds are restrictive. We will all be more than happy to help you out we have some very good vendors that can take of your needs...putting in a 426 is how I'd go if I had to do over again :)

Thanks for the thoughts. I'm in NW WA State and would probably ship my 2010 R/T 6 speed to Arrington & have it shipped back. One consideration is how much else would need to be upgraded ie clutch, etc. Arrington has told me their 426 Hemi is a drop in, and so that is an option also. I just don't want to get in over my head with an open checkbook replacing/upgrading parts without knowing what really is going to be the right way to approach this. My alternative is to just buy a new 392, but I'm into my R/T for $30k and think I can do better upgrading to 500+hp Arrington 392 or 426 rather than spend $50k for a new 392.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Your stock clutch, tranny, rear end and half shafts will be fine with the additional power. With the 392 you will be right around 490 RWHP. I would deff upgrade to LT headers or the stock SRT8 shorties

·
Registered
437 Posts
Your stock clutch, tranny, rear end and half shafts will be fine with the additional power. With the 392 you will be right around 490 RWHP. I would deff upgrade to LT headers or the stock SRT8 shorties
is that with or without FI Don?

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Im not so sure a 57 392 is going to make 490rwhp especially considering the camshaft limitations With the vvt motors.

A 426 on a stock clutch will last but it wont be for more than 20,000 miles. I would consider completely swapping over to 6.1 engine and build it as a 392 with 10:1 as that will run great na and handle a fair amount of boost.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I guess i ask stupid questions. After lurking this and other sites it doesn't look possible to run a non-vvt motor with the vvt pcm. people are, however, swapping 6.1s into jeeps and older mopars...

I'm gonna look for pinouts for srt8 pcms vs r/t pcms. If it's close i wonder if you could possibly map the r/t wiring harness to the srt8 pcm.

does anyone else see vvt as a major problem for performance? or is it just me?

·
Banned
4,698 Posts
There is no tried and true tuning to support a large cam upgrade to a VVT motor. I expect we'll see some breakthroughs this year, but it hasn't happened that I've seen.

HemiSam

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
To answer one question, the purpose is just to have the power under my foot. Not going to race. I think I'm responsible enough at 62 to use it with discretion. After all, I managed to own a very fast Euro 930 turbo for 20 years and never put it around a telephone pole.

The 426 option is interesting to me maybe more than the 392. If you are still there, Don, is it in fact a drop in to my R/T also?

Thanks to all who have expressed their views.

·
Registered
72 Posts
To answer one question, the purpose is just to have the power under my foot. Not going to race. I think I'm responsible enough at 62 to use it with discretion. After all, I managed to own a very fast Euro 930 turbo for 20 years and never put it around a telephone pole.

The 426 option is interesting to me maybe more than the 392. If you are still there, Don, is it in fact a drop in to my R/T also?

Thanks to all who have expressed their views.
PM sent windwardtrades

1 - 18 of 18 Posts