Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So very soon ill be outfitting my 5.7 with a new intake manifold from a 6.4. It needs a throttle body. Now, i have read that my factory 5.7 one will work, however i would like to know if there is an added benefit or any difference if i go with the 6.4 one. I have an opportunity to get one at a good price.

6.4 cam and parts are sitting for it all to come together, so would it be worthwile to keep my 5.7 tb, pickup the 6.4 one, or just go for a ported aftermarket unit?

Thanks

·
Registered
853 Posts
The 6.4 is the same unit from your 5.7 (assuming that it is from your same year range). No benefit to go with that.
If you go ported, make sure it is a true bore ported (or new style like bbk, etc.). The cross section style ported throttles do nothing. My go to is fastman’s true 84mm but there are others. Also note that unless you are adding displacement or a cam/head swap, you likely won’t see much benefit from the TB.
See picture for the cross section style to stay away from:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Ronan978

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The 6.4 is the same unit from your 5.7 (assuming that it is from your same year range). No benefit to go with that.
If you go ported, make sure it is a true bore ported (or new style like bbk, etc.). The cross section style ported throttles do nothing. My go to is fastman’s true 84mm but there are others. Also note that unless you are adding displacement or a cam/head swap, you likely won’t see much benefit from the TB.
See picture for the cross section style to stay away from:

Ok thanks for the info

mine is a 2016 and the tb i was looking at came off of an 18. Good to know before i spent my cash on it, now it can go toward something more important

·
Registered
853 Posts
Ok thanks for the info

mine is a 2016 and the tb i was looking at came off of an 18. Good to know before i spent my cash on it, now it can go toward something more important
Yep no need then.
Happy modding!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts