Registered
2015 Dodge Challenger R/T
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 2015 Challenger R/T Obviously with a 5.7L Hemi

A few questions: They say a 6.1 is just a bored out 5.7

But they say only a 6.1 can be stroked to say a 440

So answer me this...why cant a 5.7?
Does the 6.1 NOT require boring when doing a 426 and 440?
Does the 5.7 NOT require boring when doing the 392 and 410?

Another:

What has been the reliability with stroking a 5.7 from your alls experiences thus far. IE the 392....410...426...and 440...

And the biggest question...what is the HP gain from the 392 stroker and the gain with the 410 stroker...same price it seems. but all the descriptions say "30%"

And another has anyone done a stroker with the 274 Comp Cam and was there anything else you had to change besides the stroker kit(pistons crank rods etc) and cam like lifters rollers etc?

Thanks ahead of time - i see lots of info on youtube and dynos but rarely see HP results...maybe they were embarrassed that they spent money and barely gained? who knows...

·
Registered
7,683 Posts
The 6.1 is not the same block, period, iirc. It's very similar in some dimensions, but not derived from the Eagle block, at all.

·
Registered
523 Posts
I was going to do either the 5.7 base 410 or the 6.1 base 426 but can't find anyone in my area to do the install. BESracing is 50 minutes away but everytime I call them a woman answers the phone and says
everyone is busy. She takes my number but they never call back. A coworker said he's going to call his cousin and see if he has time to do it. If all works out hopefully I can give you some numbers on that 410.

·
Premium Member
5,641 Posts
I'd be worried about this performance shop...

BESracing is 50 minutes away but everytime I call them a woman answers the phone and says
everyone is busy. She takes my number but they never call back. A coworker said he's going to call his cousin and see if he has time to do it.

Sounds like "bubba" is going to find time to work on your car. It could take months before they complete it. Maybe it's just the fact that they don't call back. I wouldn't trust them. Perhaps you would be better off taking it long distance to a reputable speed shop.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Sounds like "bubba" is going to find time to work on your car. It could take months before they complete it. Maybe it's just the fact that they don't call back. I wouldn't trust them. Perhaps you would be better off taking it long distance to a reputable speed shop.
my coworkers cousin is a mechanic he put the motor in 1 of my other coworker's truck that's pushing over 600 hp. He said with work and school he just haven't had time to do as much side work. he gave me a number to this place 20 minutes away called high horse sales so I'm gonna give them a call. I wouldn't just let anyone touch my car. I wish he did have time bc looking at my coworkers truck he did a good job and he said he's yet to have any problems.

·
Registered
2015 Dodge Challenger R/T
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies so far!

Im interested in Procharging the 5.7L which will be close to par with a 392 and eventually doing the stroker kit or vice versa - i can do the procharger myself, the stroker i would need to pay someone to do, so cost wise it would be close to the same.

its just the biggest advantage to stroking the 5.7 is forged pieces which will give me better peace of mind.

·
Premium Member
5,641 Posts

·
Registered
523 Posts
I found a shop the will do my set up So I'm might go with the 6.1 base 426. will I be able to use my 5 7 longtubes on the 6.1?

·
Registered
3 Posts
By your post either your being sarcastic or dont know of besracing? Allow me to clear this up

Hhp takes all info and questioned concerning gen3 hemis for bes. If you have questions or concerns hhp is who you deal with directly not besracing. Bes does the engine work but must go through hhp. It is clearly on besracings website if anyone wants the best of the best. Bes engines are the record holder engine builders for rob goss's 6 sec challenger.

Hope this helps anyone with concerns reguarding bes racing or hhp. You wont get a better built engine.

·
Registered
523 Posts
By your post either your being sarcastic or dont know of besracing? Allow me to clear this up

Hhp takes all info and questioned concerning gen3 hemis for bes. If you have questions or concerns hhp is who you deal with directly not besracing. Bes does the engine work but must go through hhp. It is clearly on besracings website if anyone wants the best of the best. Bes engines are the record holder engine builders for rob goss's 6 sec challenger.

Hope this helps anyone with concerns reguarding bes racing or hhp. You wont get a better built engine.
I think he was referring to my coworker's cousin not BES racing. Anyway the guy he was talking about started working on cars with his father when he was 8 years old and has been working for Ford for a long time. He just did an excellent job installing my whipple supercharger.

·
Administrator
2009 Challenger R/T
8,918 Posts
I'm running a 6.0L stroker motor for the past 5 years in my 09 Challenger it was built for a boosted application so 9:1 CR it's been a solid motor and takes everything that has been thrown at it currently running a street tune right around 688rwhp and 658rwtq 13psi. BTW I would suggest doing your heads also If I had to do it over I would go with the 392 kit it just makes serious power and the geometry is perfect IMO :guiness:

·
Registered
424 Posts
BTW I would suggest doing your heads also If I had to do it over I would go with the 392 kit it just makes serious power and the geometry is perfect IMO :guiness:
This is exactly what the guys at Arrington Performance told me also. I wanted to go with the 5.7 based 410, but was told the bore is too big and not compatible with boost. They said the 5.7 based 392 is a monster with boost.

·
Registered
523 Posts
This is exactly what the guys at Arrington Performance told me also. I wanted to go with the 5.7 based 410, but was told the bore is too big and not compatible with boost. They said the 5.7 based 392 is a monster with boost.
I was thinking about going with the 410 after I found out all of things you have to do to get a 5.7 vvt up to a 426 but like you I was told the hp would be only like 460 to 470 and not good with a blower. I'm going to do the 5.7 base 392 but first I want to upgrade the rearend and transmission.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I was thinking about going with the 410 after I found out all of things you have to do to get a 5.7 vvt up to a 426 but like you I was told the hp would be only like 460 to 470 and not good with a blower. I'm going to do the 5.7 base 392 but first I want to upgrade the rearend and transmission.
Hi, I will share my experience.
First I did Magnuson 8lb s/c, 1400 hp axles & driveshaft on my stock 5.7 got 445 rwhp
at 8lbs. Then, went with the BES 5.7 based 392 stroker from HHP with 270 comp cam, 80lb fuel injectors. hit 545 RHWP 545 TQ at 7lbs of boost.

Had the Snow Performance stage 3 water /meth kit installed, went to the 2.8" s/c pulley & hit 599.5 rwhp 620 tq on the glory run, backed down the timing 2 degrees
roaming the streets with 585 RWHP & 605 Ft. TQ at 9-10lbs peak boost.

IF you want to go higher boost, on a 392 or larger hemi **Do a bigger supercharger, like the whipple 2.8, Kenne bell 2.8 or 3.6 LC *the Magnusons just don't seem to make more than 8-9 lbs of boost on a 392 or larger, regardless of pulley size.

My dyno shop will be meeting with the Magnuson people at Sema in 2 weeks trying to get more info about this subject.

just to share......for what is is worth **also, if you want traction, look at the Razors Edge control arms & tension arms, along with the Hop Knot Kit **really plants the rear on take off, back end doesn't slide to the right when the tires scream on hard street launch, along with front & rear sway bars.....handles great now >:)

·
Registered
523 Posts
Hi, I will share my experience.
First I did Magnuson 8lb s/c, 1400 hp axles & driveshaft on my stock 5.7 got 445 rwhp
at 8lbs. Then, went with the BES 5.7 based 392 stroker from HHP with 270 comp cam, 80lb fuel injectors. hit 545 RHWP 545 TQ at 7lbs of boost.

Had the Snow Performance stage 3 water /meth kit installed, went to the 2.8" s/c pulley & hit 599.5 rwhp 620 tq on the glory run, backed down the timing 2 degrees
roaming the streets with 585 RWHP & 605 Ft. TQ at 9-10lbs peak boost.

IF you want to go higher boost, on a 392 or larger hemi **Do a bigger supercharger, like the whipple 2.8, Kenne bell 2.8 or 3.6 LC *the Magnusons just don't seem to make more than 8-9 lbs of boost on a 392 or larger, regardless of pulley size.

My dyno shop will be meeting with the Magnuson people at Sema in 2 weeks trying to get more info about this subject.

just to share......for what is is worth **also, if you want traction, look at the Razors Edge control arms & tension arms, along with the Hop Knot Kit **really plants the rear on take off, back end doesn't slide to the right when the tires scream on hard street launch, along with front & rear sway bars.....handles great now >:)
Thanx for the update. I went with the Whipple sc pushing 8 pounds and I'm around 500 rwhp and over 500 rwtq. I'm hoping to see some X-mas and Black Friday sales so I can get a better transmission, driveshaft, and axles. The stroker and meth kit will have to wait until next spring.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts