Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a 5.7L R/T and want to put my Speedlogix catch can on it form my recently departed Scat Pack Shaker. The 5.7s come with an intake tube with a silencer that doesn't leave any room for a catch can. Seems my options are an aftermarket CAI or a Charger intake tube w/o the silencer. My question is this: I read on another forum that the there is a loss of low end torque associated with the Charger intake vs the Challenger intake with the silencer. Otherwise, why would Dodge spend the money to make two versions for the same basic engine bay and engine... Is this true? If it is, wouldn't any aftermarket CAI (including the MOPAR unit that was used for the Scat Pack stage 1 kit) provide this same loss in torque?

Anyone know for sure? I want to find the cheapest way to reuse my nearly new Speedlogix catch can with the S bracket (I know I don't need the bracket with the 5.7 but can use it)

Thanks

·
Registered
178 Posts
I just picked up a 5.7L R/T and want to put my Speedlogix catch can on it form my recently departed Scat Pack Shaker. The 5.7s come with an intake tube with a silencer that doesn't leave any room for a catch can. Seems my options are an aftermarket CAI or a Charger intake tube w/o the silencer. My question is this: I read on another forum that the there is a loss of low end torque associated with the Charger intake vs the Challenger intake with the silencer. Otherwise, why would Dodge spend the money to make two versions for the same basic engine bay and engine... Is this true? If it is, wouldn't any aftermarket CAI (including the MOPAR unit that was used for the Scat Pack stage 1 kit) provide this same loss in torque?

Anyone know for sure? I want to find the cheapest way to reuse my nearly new Speedlogix catch can with the S bracket (I know I don't need the bracket with the 5.7 but can use it)

Thanks
I'm going through the same decision making process! I'm not that familiar with the SpeedLogix brand, but I had a 2014 R/T 5.7, a 2015 Scat Pack and now a 2018 R/T 5.7. I bought a BT catch can for the 2014, and put a Charger intake on it so I could use the standard front bolt mount. Just used the Z-bracket for the 6.4...a nice mounting solution. For the 5.7 and Charger intake, I hadn't heard of anyone posting concerns back then with loss of low-end torque, and I wasn't consciously aware of any difference while I had it. With my 2018, I don't really want to remove the silencer since I'm worried about what the other posters have said since then.
Probably no difference in reality, but several claim there is by seat-of-the-pants feel and multiple 0-60 runs. I suspect it was just to solve an acoustical issue that's unique to the Challenger and for no other reason, but I'm not 100% sure. So the fender mount is the only option for me now. Another poster with a fender mount said that he just removes the hex bolt to lift up the can up over the washer fluid container and unscrew it. Sounds easier...the standard front bolt mount is a bit of a hassle to get a good grip on. I also want to keep the factory engine cover on, so I hope there's no issue with routing from the fender location.

Please let us know what you decided and include some pics! I have a email into BT to ask about if I can use the standard catch can with a fender mount...that can seems to have a different interface than the one I have. Maybe they're interchangeable, I don't know. Cheers!

·
Registered
116 Posts
"Adding an expansion chamber to the intake tube forces air coming back out of the engine to slow down to fill the cavity, thus expending a great deal of its energy and slowing the pressure wave reversion. This slowdown allows fresh air to flow toward the engine without fighting pressure reversion waves the entire way, thus aiding in cylinder filling. Since these pressure waves are essentially sound, giving them a place to expend their energy before exiting the air filter box ends up dampening the intake noise and quieting the engine. Thus, the resonator helps to make the engine paradoxically quieter and more powerful."

·
Registered
178 Posts
"Adding an expansion chamber to the intake tube forces air coming back out of the engine to slow down to fill the cavity, thus expending a great deal of its energy and slowing the pressure wave reversion. This slowdown allows fresh air to flow toward the engine without fighting pressure reversion waves the entire way, thus aiding in cylinder filling. Since these pressure waves are essentially sound, giving them a place to expend their energy before exiting the air filter box ends up dampening the intake noise and quieting the engine. Thus, the resonator helps to make the engine paradoxically quieter and more powerful."
I've heard similar explanations, beebad...thank you. Makes sense. As far as I know, no one has gone so far as to dyno their Challengers with the only changes being the factory silenced intake, a Charger intake, and a Mopar CAI (or other CAI). I'd be very interested in seeing the results. People have argued that the setup on the Charger is identical to the Challenger in every other respect, so the intakes should be interchangeable. Others have said that that's one reason the Challenger is rated a few extra ponies. And still others claim that Dodge engineers have said that it's to lower the intake noise level that's peculiar to the Challenger, and not for power gains. Lots of opinions for sure. I'm a mechanical engineer (but not an acoustical or fluids expert) so would love to learn more about it!

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That makes sense. My only question is if this science is sound, then why don't all of the "high performance" CAIs had this extra chamber incorporated into their design? Not disagreeing with you, just trying to make sense of this.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Here is the whole article: https://itstillruns.com/air-intake-resonator-do-12156112.html

Airaid brand has a port on the air tube with resonator, googling looking for more pics and different designs I see Ferrari has them also.

Guessing why intakes are different between Charger/Challenger/SRT etc may be due to intake manifolds. 6.1L is tuned for HP at high RPM's, Supercharged models prob not effected the same by air intake as it is pressurizing air anyway.

·
Registered
9,221 Posts
I bought my '10 R/TC new, and drove it about 10k miles with the factory tube. I then switched to the Charger intake tube and the long sensor.

I got more growl, and sure didn't lose any performance. Drivability/torque seemed the same to me for the next 30k miles, it just made more intake noise.

More "close up pics" in my "Garage"

Attachments

·
Registered
2015 Dodge Challenger R/T Scat Pack
1,189 Posts
Did the Charger intake tube on my 2010 R/T. Zero difference in performance, felt the same. Maybe there is a few hp difference, but you'll never feel that. Have a hard time believing that ugly thing is there for performance, looks stupid, I got rid of it as soon as I could. Similar to debating differences between motor oil brands, air filters, etc. Probably some difference, but more than likely negligible and not worth worrying about.

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Here is the whole article: https://itstillruns.com/air-intake-resonator-do-12156112.html

Airaid brand has a port on the air tube with resonator, googling looking for more pics and different designs I see Ferrari has them also.

Guessing why intakes are different between Charger/Challenger/SRT etc may be due to intake manifolds. 6.1L is tuned for HP at high RPM's, Supercharged models prob not effected the same by air intake as it is pressurizing air anyway.
That's an interesting article. I didn't realize so many people (I'm assuming this wasn't written for Challenger owners) removed these things. My only motivation is to create some room for my catch can. I may also have to research the fender mount option as well. I've never seen that.

** Edit** I just checked and the fender mount doesn't look like a good idea to me. Worst of all, it seems access to opening the can to drain it would be very difficult.

·
Registered
9,221 Posts
That's an interesting article. I didn't realize so many people (I'm assuming this wasn't written for Challenger owners) removed these things. My only motivation is to create some room for my catch can. I may also have to research the fender mount option as well. I've never seen that.

** Edit** I just checked and the founder mount doesn't look like a good idea to me. Worst of all, it seems access to opening the can to drain it would be very difficult.

Actually, the can on my '10 R/TC was a PITA to grip and get a hold of.

Do you plan on keeping the engine cover on your 5.7? If you're not, I would look into the BT "Z" bracket (like the 392 BT's have)........right there in the open, and easy to access and empty. Unfortunately the won't fit with the 5.7 engine cover in place.

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Actually, the can on my '10 R/TC was a PITA to grip and get a hold of.

Do you plan on keeping the engine cover on your 5.7? If you're not, I would look into the BT "Z" bracket (like the 392 BT's have)........right there in the open, and easy to access and empty. Unfortunately the won't fit with the 5.7 engine cover in place.
My can is a Speedlogix with the "S" bracket (same as the BT Z). I also have an extra cover from an old R/T and was planning on modifying. I didn't think the can would even clear the stock silencer with the S or Z bracket?

·
Registered
9,221 Posts
My can is a Speedlogix with the "S" bracket (same as the BT Z). I also have an extra cover from an old R/T and was planning on modifying. I didn't think the can would even clear the stock silencer with the S or Z bracket?

Yep, not sure about that either. That "goider" on the intake tube is just butt ugly and in the way, but if one of those brackets clears it, then you can go however you want.

Keep us posted on what you find out and do.

·
Super Moderator
14,795 Posts
Yep, not sure about that either. That "goider" on the intake tube is just butt ugly and in the way, but if one of those brackets clears it, then you can go however you want.

Keep us posted on what you find out and do.
goitre / goiter ;)

I always referred to it as "the tumor".

They look really funky to see them on the 5.7 Shakers with the scoop and the CAI. The air tube still has the resonator.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I’ll be following this to see what you ultimately do. I felt no perceptible increase or decrease in HP or torque when I bolted up the Mopar CAI.

It gave me at least an increase of 20 virtual visual and audible HP though. Ha ha. :)

It sounds very nice.

Just installed the Speedlogix catch can this morning.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I’ll be following this to see what you ultimately do. I felt no perceptible increase or decrease in HP or torque when I bolted up the Mopar CAI.

It gave me at least an increase of 20 virtual visual and audible HP though. Ha ha. :)

It sounds very nice.

Just installed the Speedlogix catch can this morning.
Looks nice. I had a Mopa CAI on my old R/T years ago. I can't imagine that Mopar would have included this CAI in the Scat Pack Stage 1 kit if it lowered hp or torque...

Attachments

·
Registered
314 Posts
I didn't change to a charger tube on my 5.7, but I did try multiple combinations using the parts from the Mopar CAI. The tube with the Mopar CAI is a perfect fit for the stock tube. The stock tube protrubence isn't a muffler, it's a resonator and it's enhancing sound ranges to sound more aggressive. That's why the resonator isn't on a Charger. According to my phone dB meter which isn't scientifically accurate, the resonator is about 3 dB's louder which matches well with what I heard. The increase is in the 100-250 Hz range and it's got some harmonics to it so it doesn't just sound like drone. That is using the (stock airbox and and tube) vs the (stock airbox with the Mopar CAI tube). I couldn't tell any difference in power between the Mopar tube and stock tube with the stock airbox. I did these tests back to back. It was particularly noticable when I went up a sustained hill so the engine was under load but I was still at fairly low rpm's - about 60mph in 5th gear. The stock tube and Mopar CAI airbox sounds great btw.

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Right now I'm looking into a CAI as my solution and hoping there isn't a loss of power from an item that was designed to increase power...

1 - 20 of 28 Posts