Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
7,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone found any half engine covers (similar to the 6.1) for the R/T motor? I'm gonna be needing something like that soon....I'd prefer them to have options...something like "Supercharged HEMI" or something on them.

Help is appreciated.

·
Premium Member
1,933 Posts
Have you checked out 3Gcustomz half covers. They are very nice and you can customize them to your liking.

·
Banned
7,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have you checked out 3Gcustomz half covers. They are very nice and you can customize them to your liking.
That's an option...I'd hoped to find something a little more factory looking. If they can do an embossed lettering setup on that cover it might work with the right paint though.

Anyone else got any suggestions?

·
Administrator
17,155 Posts

·
Administrator
17,155 Posts

·
Administrator
17,155 Posts
Any idea how they attach to the motor? I'm not a carbon fiber lover, but they offer them in fiberglass that I could paint, which may look good.
Most likely, they mount the same as the stock covers that come with the SRT. You will probably need to purchase four studs from Dodge for about $0.10 each. The stock covers have gromets that push down on the studs.

·
Banned
7,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Most likely, they mount the same as the stock covers that come with the SRT. You will probably need to purchase four studs from Dodge for about $0.10 each. The stock covers have gromets that push down on the studs.
Ok...I'll try to check out an SRTs cover at the next car show. My R/T has studs on it...but I'm not sure if they match up the the SRTs. I also wasn't sure if the studs on mine would still be there after the maggie goes on.

If my stock studs remain, then I can just cut my stock cover and re-use it. That would be ideal since it's already painted.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Ok...I'll try to check out an SRTs cover at the next car show. My R/T has studs on it...but I'm not sure if they match up the the SRTs. I also wasn't sure if the studs on mine would still be there after the maggie goes on.

If my stock studs remain, then I can just cut my stock cover and re-use it. That would be ideal since it's already painted.
The 5.7 studs will not match up with the studs on the SRT8. I'm working on my second set of half covers (1st was for my DWB) for my DY Challenger so I have first hand experience in these matters....LOL
The 5.7 studs are part of the bolt that secures the fuel rails to the engine. The SRT8 studs are caps that fit onto special studded head valve cover bolts which are a lot lower on the engine by comparison. Not only that but the placement is different. If you use a cover that is designed to fit an SRT8 engine you will have to get 4 of the SRT8 studded valve cover bolts.
A major issue with the factory SRT style covers (and possibly the Carbon by Design model) will be the 5.7 mounting stud themselves. They will be in the way for proper placement of the half covers on the 5.7 engine. These studs will need to be cut off of the heads of the existing mounting bolts for proper fit. That is, unless you can find a suitable replacement bolt, which I could not.:headbang: (The 5.7 fuel rail/engine cover stud bolt has a very coarse thread configuration, almost like a wood screw) I consider this a major issue due to the replacement cost :notallthere:eek:f these 5.7 specialized bolt/stud combo if you decide to re-fit the stock engine cover later....not good. Also, there is a fair amount of trimming and tweaking to be done to the SRT8 covers to get it to fit.....remember, a dremel is your best friend if you go with this style cover for the 5.7 engine.
One of these days, I'll get around to taping and painting my covers. If anyone wants to try the mod on a set of SRT8 covers just give me a shout and I'll offer my experiences with these. Its not that difficult, just a little time consuming.

·
Premium Member
2,797 Posts
i have the CBD covers. they don't use the ball stud mounts like the stock srt covers. one bolt from each each coil pack holds the covers on.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Hey S/S,

How did you fashion your K&N air unit in front like that...AWESOME!

·
Banned
7,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i have the CBD covers. they don't use the ball stud mounts like the stock srt covers. one bolt from each each coil pack holds the covers on.

I'm not a fan of carbon fiber, but they do offer that in Fiberglass. I could paint it orange to match the car as well. How'd you get the lettering on there? Vinyl decal?

·
Premium Member
2,797 Posts
Hey S/S,

How did you fashion your K&N air unit in front like that...AWESOME!
that is a custom one-off fabricated ram-air system. it is a race only set-up. there are no provisions for rain water. the only air the motor gets is through the scoop.

·
Banned
1,340 Posts
does anyone know what the part number is or where I can get the mounting bolts for the 5.7 engine cover? what the cover actually mounts too.

·
Premium Member
781 Posts
I noticed a while ago that Arizona_Steve has these 3gcustom ones listed in his sig. Price looks good, and since they are metal you can paint, plate, etc. Also looks like they'll laser-cut a custom logo if you want. May want to ping him and see if he'll share his thoughts on these...

Welcome to 3gcustomz.com!

·
Banned
7,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I used stainless steel hardware on mine with some rubber grommets for good measure. They mount to the coil pack covers.

The Carbon By Design half covers leave a lot to be desired so be ready to do some body work if you go that route.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts