Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This past week, my wife and I went and test drove a new 2015 SRT 392. It is an amazing car, loaded with Uconnect and lots of features. The version we drove was the 6 speed manual. It was very responsive and had tons of power. However, after a 10 minute drive in this car, I felt like I had been driving a lawn mower for 2 hours. My body was left with the residue of vibration and my ears were ringing. My wife commented that during the drive, it was loud in the backseat. She couldn't hear what I was saying when talking to the sales guy while we drove around. Anyway, I just wondered what the 5.7L was like. IF it was equally noisy?

From a money perspective I am in a good position to buy either the 5.7 RT Plus, or the SRT, but I want it to be enjoyable for me and my wife to drive. On the other hand, there is a voice in the back of my mind that says buy the biggest and baddest machine you can get, you only live once. But It likely being an everyday driver I don't know if I really need the 6.4. Thoughts?:|

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
The 392 is noticeably louder with sport mode on than with it off. I wonder if your salesperson turned it on without telling you to impress you with the more prominent exhaust note.

I drive my Scat Pack as a DD and the cabin sound level is perfectly noticeable but unintrusive.

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
The 392 is noticeably louder with sport mode on than with it off. I wonder if your salesperson turned it on without telling you to impress you with the more prominent exhaust note.

I drive my Scat Pack as a DD and the cabin sound level is perfectly noticeable but unintrusive.
Could be. Were the RPM's staying high, like over 2000 most of the time? I ask because I have a 2015 SRT and I find it smooth and quiet on the road. Only noise that bothers me is at low speed on side roads, you can hear a lot of little pebbles being kicked up into the paper thin rear wheel well liners.

If you romp on it, the exhaust can roar but if you are driving it normally, it's just about as quiet as any other well built car. At 70-75 MPH on the highway, it's very quiet and easy to hold a conversation with the people in the back. So I'm wondering if you drove it with the windows down, sunroof open, and in sport or track mode... or something like that? Window closed, it's pretty quiet, but it can be a bit louder than expected with all the orifices open. ;)

Mike

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Scat Pack noise levels per Car & Driver

This is from the Dec 2014 "American Heros" shootout between the Scat Pack, Camaro 1LE and Mustang GT PP.

Idle / Full throttle / Cruise @ 70 mph (all in db)

Camaro 1LE: 52 / 86 / 72
Scat Pack 55 / 85 / 72
Mustang GT 49 / 81 / 72

Note over on the Mustang forums many consider the 2015 5.0 too quiet and are looking to install after market exhaust.

Anything under 70 db at 70 mph would be considered very quiet.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Get the 6.4 because you'll regret not doing so. You can always add $200-300 worth the Dynamat or some sound deadener to decrease noise levels. You can't add 100+ HP and torque with $300.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
This is not meant as an insult. If a 20 minute drive left your ears ringing and your body feeling like it had driven a lawn tractor for two hours then I think you are are looking at the wrong car. I do not think a 5.7 will be enough of an improvement in noise and vibration control to make it worth your while. Do not buy a car you will hate to drive no matter how good it looks or fast it is.

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
I'd still like to hear back from the OP on the conditions of the drive. Were you going 70 MPH on the freeway with sunroof and both windows open? Were you keeping it high in revs (you said you were driving the 6 speed). What is this "vibration" you speak of? Steering wheel vibration? Wheel balance vibration? Engine vibration?

None of it makes sense to me because my 2015 SRT rides so smooth at speed that it feels like I'm driving on glass. And it is very quiet at speed if you are not punching it constantly, as the numbers in the above post prove (sound levels @ 70 MPH identical for Camaro, Mustang, and Challenger: 72 dB).

Your post history also has me a bit confused. Your first post was one saying Chrysler has the worst reliability record in the industry and then ask what other people think. Now you post that the Challenger "rides like a lawn tractor" and ask for feedback. So what's up? If you are seriously considering the car and you're just "beating the bushes" to see what negatives fall out, that's valid I guess, but a Challenger forum might not be the best place to do it and the most unbiased. :)

Mike

·
Premium Member
3,717 Posts
This is from the Dec 2014 "American Heros" shootout between the Scat Pack, Camaro 1LE and Mustang GT PP.

Idle / Full throttle / Cruise @ 70 mph (all in db)

Camaro 1LE: 52 / 86 / 72
Scat Pack 55 / 85 / 72
Mustang GT 49 / 81 / 72

Note over on the Mustang forums many consider the 2015 5.0 too quiet and are looking to install after market exhaust.

Anything under 70 db at 70 mph would be considered very quiet.
Ford is actually piping sound INTO the cabin because they sound too wimpy? I saw this on a 2015 5.0 at a recent Cars and Coffee. The owner told me about it, pointed out the tube. Geez.
The 2015 Ford Mustang EcoBoost Fakes Its Engine Noise
Faking It: Engine-Sound Enhancement Explained - Tech Dept. - Car and Driver

·
Premium Member
2016 Hellcat Challenger
2,380 Posts
I'd still like to hear back from the OP on the conditions of the drive. Were you going 70 MPH on the freeway with sunroof and both windows open? Were you keeping it high in revs (you said you were driving the 6 speed). What is this "vibration" you speak of? Steering wheel vibration? Wheel balance vibration? Engine vibration?

None of it makes sense to me because my 2015 SRT rides so smooth at speed that it feels like I'm driving on glass. And it is very quiet at speed if you are not punching it constantly, as the numbers in the above post prove (sound levels @ 70 MPH identical for Camaro, Mustang, and Challenger: 72 dB).

Your post history also has me a bit confused. Your first post was one saying Chrysler has the worst reliability record in the industry and then ask what other people think. Now you post that the Challenger "rides like a lawn tractor" and ask for feedback. So what's up? If you are seriously considering the car and you're just "beating the bushes" to see what negatives fall out, that's valid I guess, but a Challenger forum might not be the best place to do it and the most unbiased. :)

Mike
I don't get it either. I have owned a few Lexus vehicles and while not as quite it is still very smooth and solid with no problem carrying on a conversation at normal voice level.

Sounds fishy here!:browsmiley:

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
This is not meant as an insult. If a 20 minute drive left your ears ringing and your body feeling like it had driven a lawn tractor for two hours then I think you are are looking at the wrong car. I do not think a 5.7 will be enough of an improvement in noise and vibration control to make it worth your while. Do not buy a car you will hate to drive no matter how good it looks or fast it is.

Exactly

·
Premium Member
2016 Hellcat Challenger
2,380 Posts
Hey BB, how you been?? Love the car dude and very happy with it!

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
My 2010 R/T was a lot quieter and smoother ride than the 2014 Shaker I just bought. I'd recommend a test drive in a stock R/T, the SRT is a bit of a beast, harsher ride and more roar. Maybe even test drive a V6, Challengers are great vehicles, just get the right flavor and color !

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
First of all "I" never said Dodge was the worst reliability, but merely thats what I had been reading online and hearing from people I talked to about the product. I posted that because at that time I had not even driven one and wanted to do my research before I go drop $50K on a car. That might be no big deal for some but for me $50 G's is a lot of cash. I'm merely using my own experience and that of others to determine if this car is worth $50K to me, and in reality that is for ME to decide, based on several sources. I appreciate all those on the forum who have offered positive constructive feedback. Because I feel it is legitimate feedback. I'm not trying to insult anyone either and for Those who say things like Oh you shouldn't buy a challenger because maybe its too much for you, blah blah blah, that is not helpful. If I wanted your opinion on that I would ask for it.

My original question was about the noise levels between the 5.7L and the 6.4L, that question remains the same. I'm not asking everyone on here if they think I should buy a challenger or not.

Now on with eh conditions of my test drive. I drove a 2015 Dodge Challenger SRT. It was 6 speed manual transmission. We drove it through some backroads and on some highway. I did get up to 100 MPH in 3rd gear at what I think was around 2000-3000 RPMs. That could be off, I can't remember the RPMS exactly. It was dark and cold out. the windows were up and the heater was on, sunroof shut. I probably didn't get into 5th gear but once, and never into 6th. Being a bit rusty at driving a manual I found myself downshifting into 1st a couple times when I thought I was going to 3rd, because it was a tight shifter and hard to tell from my perspective if I was putting enough pressure on the shifter to push right and up into 3rd. The car could have been in sport mode or track mode. I have no idea, I didn't think to ask that question, because I didn't know it would matter.

My future plan is to go test drive an automatic and then I'll check to see if its in sport mode or track, thanks for that insight. I ask about the noise because this would be a daily driver for me. If the 5.7L is less of a roar then I might consider buying an R/T Plus, instead of the ScatPack or SRT. However, from a nostalgic or resale perspective I realize that the SP or SRT would be more valuable, and all around better performer. If There is something i can do like turn Sport mode off in order to reduce the noise, then that would be good. If I had never posted this question I might not have known that, so I'm thankful that information.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Your post history also has me a bit confused. Your first post was one saying Chrysler has the worst reliability record in the industry and then ask what other people think. Now you post that the Challenger "rides like a lawn tractor" and ask for feedback. So what's up? If you are seriously considering the car and you're just "beating the bushes" to see what negatives fall out, that's valid I guess, but a Challenger forum might not be the best place to do it and the most unbiased.

Mike

What would people on a Ford or Chevy Forum say about Dodge if I go there and ask? I figured this is the best place to find out what people think....the ones who actually own and drive the car, don't you agree?

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Drive a base R/T, if the 15's are as quiet as my 12 was then you will know how quiet the cars can be.

·
Premium Member
2016 Hellcat Challenger
2,380 Posts
Keeping the motor in the higher RPMs will give more engine sound which is kinda what most of us like. When you try the auto I think you will be very pleasantly surprised. The A8 is the best auto they have ever had in my opinion and apparently several magazine reviews!!

On the highway at 70 mph I think I'm running around 2,000 rpms. The motor purrs and silky smooth. In the SRT sport and track modes will run the RPMs up higher before it changes the street mode will shift much lower and be much quieter.

Will be interested in your thoughts/feelings once you have trade it!

Oh,- you have to excuse us for jumping on the doubt wagon, sometimes for we get lots of trolls in here trying to start stuff!

Good hunting

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
What would people on a Ford or Chevy Forum say about Dodge if I go there and ask? I figured this is the best place to find out what people think....the ones who actually own and drive the car, don't you agree?
Yes and no. The problem with bringing up negatives and then asking "what do you think" on a forum like this is that the majority of us are "enthusiasts" who really like our cars. I suspect if there were any here who found out first hand that the Challenger is the lowest reliability car they've ever owned... or that theirs made them feel like they were riding a lawn tractor, they probably moved on. And now maybe they are over on the Mustang or Camaro forum. :) The people who remain are, for the most part, are either not going to know what you are talking about or disagree. So I'm not sure you are going to get an unbiased opinion on the things that require one. That was my only point.

Now, I can't really compare the M6 cars because mine is an A8 but from your description, it sounds like you were keeping it at higher revs. Nothing wrong with that but the exhaust baffles open up if you stay on it a lot and I could see that being louder than some might expect. If you were on the highway and never hit 6th gear, you probably could have eliminated almost all the noise by just cruising in 6th. Also, people tend to "tense up" when they are getting used to a car which can leave them a little stressed after the drive, particularly in a car that some might find a bit intimidating. So I think you'd probably feel differently if you were more comfortable driving it and you maybe shifted a little sooner and let that low end torque do the work. You can really make these things as loud or quiet as you want. It's all in how you drive it.

Mike

·
Registered
9,456 Posts
Well I drove a 15 5.7 auto a few days ago and I can tell you it was way too quiet. Very nice ride and loved the new A8 tranny and how smooth it was.
You said you drove the manual and you hit 100 in 3rd gear at 2-3k rpm. Not possible. The 3rd gear will do about 90 at its peak rpm. The higher the rpm the noisier it gets.
You've got to take your time and drive it more extensively to really get a feel for the car when take it out next time. If you prefer manuals, give it another shot. I assure you they're quit unless you get on it. Good luck. As far as reliability goes, I've owned my 392 for 2.5 years and haven't had any issues yet. I drive it hard and average 8 mpg in city and over 23 on the freeway. Oh and I also track my car. So that says a lot right there.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
5,641 Posts
The SRT is only louder than an RT at RPM over 5K. Neither is loud. Get the 392. It's a tame DD, otherwise you will upgrade later.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 20 of 21 Posts