Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m sure this is already on the site but I didn’t see it. What is a realistic 1/4 mile time for a 2020 RT A8? With a pedal commander and a CAI w/93 octane in sport mode and traction on I am getting consistent 4.7 0-60 times out of it. Big improvement from the stock 5.1-5.2 I got.
Recently I added a set of staggered Demon Replica wheels with 295/40/20 NT555’s. Man I don’t know about this car. As I mentioned in my previous post I was an LS guy all the way until this challenger. I love the look, the room, the ride and the factory sound is awesome with active exhaust. The car looks awesome in white with black wheels, tinted windows, and I dipped the calipers red. But I have to say it is kind of a dog compared to the LS powered cars I have owned in the past. And we aren’t talking new stuff. The last “toy” car I had was a 2002 SS and that car in totally stock trim I ran a 13.1 with a six speed. I have 3 or 4 F bodies before that one. My 1998 Z28 went 13.7 totally stock. My last one, the 2002 went 10.30 when I was done. I know it’s apples to oranges, but I don’t see a lot about these 5.7 being real responsive to mods unless they are major and expensive. In my 99 SS I picked up over 130whp with a cam and a set of headers with a tune. I am by no means trashing Dodge I like this car way more but it seems kind of dead.
Should I just keep the wheels and other mods like the controller and just get a Scat Pack? There are major shortages of inventory in my area and the local dealerships are calling me every day wanting to buy it for nearly what I owe. I may only eat 1000 bucks on it and it has 1400 miles on it.

let me know what you guys think.

or maybe I should go 2017 SS 1LE? LOL

·
Registered
873 Posts
It all depends what you want.

You are right that these cars do not respond well to minor mods but that’s because they are stretched from the factory as far as performance goes.

The 5.7 responds well to a cam and head swap.

Nitrous is a cheap power adder and the 5.7 loves it.

A gear/torque converter swap used to be very effective on the older 5.7s but the newer 8spds don’t seem to respond as well.

My 2013 5.7 made 330whp bone stock running consistent 13.9-14.2s. It now makes 540/570 on a cam/head/150shot combo running a best of 11.2. Stock bottom end.

I like having a 5.7 that will run most 6.4s/6.1s and 6.2s (that don’t know how to drive or aren’t modified) in the 1/4, but that’s just me. Some pride in running past them with RT decals on the side lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
It sounds like you'd be much better off modding an LS car. That route is far cheaper than messing with a modern MOPAR.

The 5.7 is not going to do what you're used to seeing from an LS motor. There are guys here who have sunk serious coin into the 5.7 in order to get to the 10 second 1/4 mile.

·
Premium Member
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy- GONE :-(
4,709 Posts
...but I don’t see a lot about these 5.7 being real responsive to mods unless they are major and expensive. In my 99 SS I picked up over 130whp with a cam and a set of headers with a tune. I am by no means trashing Dodge I like this car way more but it seems kind of dead.
Personally, I would consider an engine tear down (even partial for a cam swap) with cam, headers and a tune, both "Major", and "Expensive".
And the 99 LS stock was before they really woke those LS's up, so there was more room to gain.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
9,795 Posts
I will say modding a mopar ain't cheap..a supercharger, upgraded fuel pump, cam, headers, tune (and assuming you do the install yourself) will cost just under $10k but will definitely get you well into +500RWHP without needing to go forged (but a good idea though). Then the problem becomes the stock brakes/capliers...well that and the need for more boost.

·
Premium Member
2011 R/T 6M Bright White, 590whp 490wtq, Whipple 10psi, 274 cam, 1 7/8 LT headers, 429 gears
1,295 Posts
It sounds like you'd be much better off modding an LS car. That route is far cheaper than messing with a modern MOPAR.

The 5.7 is not going to do what you're used to seeing from an LS motor. There are guys here who have sunk serious coin into the 5.7 in order to get to the 10 second 1/4 mile.
That used to be the case, but the options for the Mopar guys has increased exponentially over the last couple of years... The biggest expense over GM is getting past the locked PCM.

·
Registered
2016 Jazz Blue A8 Scat
1,204 Posts
The R/T's are a big car with a decent drivetrain. They tend to be handicapped with wimpy rear gears and no limited slip. The rear diff is surprisingly easy to change and you can pick up quite a bit from something like a 3.70 diff on an A8 5.7. What is your rear gear now?

If you are serious about having a quick car, the right answer is to trade up to the bigger engine and start with 100hp more. An 8spd Scat Pack on drag radials will get into the 11s in good air with no mods other than maybe weight reduction. I have not lost to any Camaro SSs or Mustangs on the street and my car is barely modified. It does have a driver mod.

·
Premium Member
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy- GONE :-(
4,709 Posts

·
Premium Member
2021 SPWB Shaker A8
591 Posts
OP, since you are obviously a speed freak you should get into a Scat Pack ASAP. You'll spend more money adding 110 HP to a 5.7 than you will upgrading to a SP, and the 392 is more responsive to major mods like a supercharger or cam/heads, plus you would have the limited slip rear end stock.

Minor mods don't do much to modern Mopars because (as others have said) they're stretched from the factory. All you need to run 11s in a SP is a set of drag radials, and you still have room to mod up.

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
5.7 good motors. I’ve owned more than one. Loved the KB Blower i put on. About 500 at the crank. After one year bought the Redeye. Buy what you want.

Like motorcycles. 125, 350, 750. Just buy the big dog you want and get it over with.

Vehicle Car Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design

·
Premium Member
4,654 Posts
Order what you want, then trade in/sell yours. Wait time can be as short as 8 weeks. Hurry up, summer is here!

·
Premium Member
119 Posts
Well, the Challenger is like 700 lbs more than the GM 4th gen LS1 cars. Our WS6 runs 108 in the 1/4, M6. And 27 mpg highway still. All i have is Hooker longtubes.

However, we can't wait for all the interior room our Go Mango Shaker M6 will have. Stock should be mid 13s anyway!

·
Premium Member
The Bacon Hauler (‘12 Cop Charger)
9,441 Posts
a set of staggered Demon Replica wheels with 295/40/20 NT555’s.
That is over 70 lbs of unsprung weight at each corner of the car now. I don't know what the OE rims and tires are, but I'm guessing in the 50 lb range.

If you are looking to go faster and stop quicker, increasing the amount of unsprung weight on the car is the wrong approach.

Reactions: Hellraisin

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I was worried about the wheel and tire upgrade however the car got ZERO traction on the stock 245’s. Used car values are out of sight right now and I’m getting good offers on it. I’ll be selling it soon and going with a Scat Pack. Seems the most logical choice.

·
Registered
2015 Challenger R/T Plus 8 Speed
8,499 Posts

It all depends what you want.

You are right that these cars do not respond well to minor mods but that’s because they are stretched from the factory as far as performance goes.

The 5.7 responds well to a cam and head swap.

Nitrous is a cheap power adder and the 5.7 loves it.

A gear/torque converter swap used to be very effective on the older 5.7s but the newer 8spds don’t seem to respond as well.

My 2013 5.7 made 330whp bone stock running consistent 13.9-14.2s. It now makes 540/570 on a cam/head/150shot combo running a best of 11.2. Stock bottom end.

I like having a 5.7 that will run most 6.4s/6.1s and 6.2s (that don’t know how to drive or aren’t modified) in the 1/4, but that’s just me. Some pride in running past them with RT decals on the side lol

Have not seen you post in a while, maybe I missed it but, I need to tell you again, I love your car. :D
Finally decided on an intake swap, wanted a set up like yours (old School looking) but decided on a Whipple.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Have not seen you post in a while, maybe I missed it but, I need to tell you again, I love your car. :D
Finally decided on an intake swap, wanted a set up like yours (old School looking) but decided on a Whipple.
A whipple was my plan for my 2006 charger I picked up....but I had extra nitrous stuff laying around so I went that route on that car too lol.

Appreciate the kind words. The whipple looks killer on there!

Reactions: Frank Julian
1 - 20 of 21 Posts