Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After some spirited driving, daily milk runs, freeway drives (Original car was RT with STP 20," 245 tires). New car is SRT with factory 255's on rear.

1. Man I love this car, but I loved the old one too.
2. In my daily driving to work.... 60% freeway--40% bumper-to-bumper traffic, 23 miles each way: The 6 speed SRT is NO Different than the 6 speed RT. Either car is "good to go" in heavy urban traffic. Both cars in normal driving situations are similar (clutch feel, torque, normal acceleration & sound). In fact, the cars were SO similar, that I often forgot that I was in a new car. After all, I traded a Black with Red Interior car with Hemi V8...for a Black with Red Interior car with BIGGER Hemi V8.
3. Acceleration: In daily driving.... There is NO difference between RT and SRT "acceleration feel" (NORMAL DRIVING).
4. Turns. The difference between SRT steering and RT with STP steering is noticeable, but not huge. The real delta is between "RT with STP...and RT without (If you bought an RT without STP, you made a huge MISTAKE IMO). The normal RT without STP ...turn performance is BAD...and gives the "Challenger it's "Boat Reputation." If it were up to me...I'd make every Challenger, even SXT leave the factory with STP. Too much damage to our brand name has been caused by this error.
The RT with STP is about 75% as good as SRT.

Bottom Line Up Front (BLUF-- military term). This is my honest opinion. The SRT is a better car. But NOT $10K better. The stock RT muffler on the M6...sounds the similar as a stock SRT M6. The acceleration feel similar...UNLESS ---"you hit it hard." If you go to WOT in an SRT...there will be an appreciable difference. The exhaust note will sound deeper.

BLUF2. If you want a faster car....and you got the $$$, get an SRT. But do NOT WASTE $$$ if you are on a budget. The STP RT....is a better buy. For me...I do NOT REGRET buying the SRT. I had the $$$. Good hunting.

Hope this helps.

P.S. Forgot to talk about Brakes. Can't speak for non STP Brakes. The STP Brakes will stop this 4000lb beast FAST. I'm sure the Brembos will do it quicker. You'd need to get out and measure to see the difference (because the STP Brakes were [email protected] good).

·
Registered
153 Posts
After some spirited driving, daily milk runs, freeway drives (Original car was RT with STP 20," 245 tires). New car is SRT with factory 255's on rear.

1. Man I love this car, but I loved the old one too.
2. In my daily driving to work.... 60% freeway--40% bumper-to-bumper traffic, 23 miles each way: The 6 speed SRT is NO Different than the 6 speed RT. Either car is "good to go" in heavy urban traffic. Both cars in normal driving situations feel so similar (clutch feel, torque, normal acceleration & sound). The cars were so similar, that I often forgot that I was in a new car. Afterall, I traded a Black with Red Interior car with Hemi V8...for a Black with Red Interior car with BIGGER Hemi V8.
3. Accelleration: There is NO difference between RT and SRT "acceleration feel" in NORMAL DRIVING.
4. Turns. The difference between SRT steering and RT with STP steering is noticeable, but not huge. The real delta is between "RT with STP...and RT without (If you bought an RT without STP, you made a huge MISTAKE IMO). The normal RT without STP ...turn performance is BAD...and gives the "Challenger it's Boat Reputation." If it were up to me...I'd make every Challenger, even SXT leave the factory with STP. Too much damage to our brand name has been caused by this error.
The RT with STP is about 75% as good.

Bottom Line Up Front (BLUF-- military terms). This is my honest opinion. The SRT is a better car. But NOT $10K better. The stock RT muffler on the M6...sounds the same as a stock SRT M6. The acceleration feel similar...UNLESS ---"you hit it hard." If you go to WOT in an SRT...there will be an appreciable difference. The exhaust note will sound deeper.

BLUF2. If you want a faster car....and you got the $$$, get an SRT. But do NOT WASTE $$$ if you are on a budget. The STP RT....is a better buy. For me...I do NOT REGRET buying the SRT.

Hope this helps.
Nice roll up. My SRT definitely feels like a boat when sport mode is not on, makes a hell of a difference. I agree on the muffler note of the SRT, it's pretty quiet unless you open it up, I did not like that at all. Which led to the magnaflow competition currently on mine.

It'll be quite interesting to see how things turn out with MY15. I feel like the gaps are closing between all of the models (SXT, R/T, STP, Scat pack, "Special Model", SRT8, Hellcat). I hope mopar sales do alright.

·
Premium Member
5,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Dude...

Nice roll up. My SRT definitely feels like a boat when sport mode is not on, makes a hell of a difference. I agree on the muffler note of the SRT, it's pretty quiet unless you open it up, I did not like that at all. Which led to the magnaflow competition currently on mine.

It'll be quite interesting to see how things turn out with MY15. I feel like the gaps are closing between all of the models (SXT, R/T, STP, Scat pack, "Special Model", SRT8, Hellcat). I hope mopar sales do alright.

You are NOT Kidding. The RT, with STP..feels like an SRT with sport mode off. When you turn sport mode on...get ready to "shake, vibrate, bounce...etc."

·
Registered
81 Posts
2b. What I'm trying to understand...are the guys with "disabilities" who claim that they NEED an "Auto." Driving a manual in heavy stop and go traffic is EASY. If you are that weak, and dangerous...you might as well get a Nissan Leaf.
Nice honest write up. After test driving an R/T w/STP, I knew that it was plenty enough for me.
To answer your question about "2b.", it's not about weakness. It's about preference.
Reasons being:
2c.-I've had manuals for 20yrs and while sometimes it's very fun, sometimes I don't want to shift.....in fact a lot of times i don't feel like using my left foot to drive.
2d.-A 4000lb torque beast like a Challenger sometimes feels like shifting a truck. I'd rather shift a light little car most of the time.
2e.-I'm a distance runner/racer. I run on avg 50 miles a week every week. My legs enjoy a rest when I get into the car. I don't want/desire the extra wear and tear on my left leg clutching 100x a day.

With all that being said....yes, manuals are more fun.

·
Registered
7,683 Posts
I have an RT with a regular suspension...if it had any more S/V/B than it already does on uneven roads, I don't think I could handle it for a daily driver car. :p Running on a cobblestone street is just, plain ridiculous (yes, I have one near me).

Just for the sake of info, I have 235/55 in front @ 34 psi and 255/55 in the rear @ 36 psi. How'bout chu guys?

·
Registered
205 Posts
Interesting write-up man. I have never driven an RT, but I figured normal daily driving would be similar. I just like the subtle differences in looks with the SRT - and as they say - there's no replacement for displacement :).

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
162 Posts
Thanks for the review.

I'm playing with the idea of trading up too. With the all mods to an R/T to get it to SRT power and handling level will take more than the difference in the cost of the two cars. Actually way more. Plus, the SRT is a complete package from the factory.

I will wait until late 2014 to see what super deals are available for the 392 Core. I have seen new ones go for $35,000. There was a new white 6-spd SRT8 for $40,000 after $10k discount at the Huntington Beach dealership. But I want plain black.

Either way, I am really happy with my R/T, so no sweat.

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
Nice write up. I'm actually looking forward to modding my R/T over time between babies and working on my '66 GT. For me the fun is in making the car the way I want it with the $10K I didn't spend on an SRT. I also get that not everyone wants to do that or they have the expendable cash to start with an SRT and build from there. I kind of like the underdog thing with the R/T vs the SRT. That being said, I think the SRT Challenger is an exceptional Muscle Car and I'm glad there is more than one V8 option in the Challenger lineup; its more like the old days that way.

On the point of the suspension, I actually passed on an identical HO Challenger R/T Plus in the same lot with STP. Coming from a Mustang I appreciated the softer ride of the standard R/T suspension. I like the highway cruiser feel of the R/T, it reminds me of the '78 Camaro I drove in high school only better. You've got a great car and you can rest easy knowing you've got the top dog now. Until the Hellcat...

·
Registered
153 Posts
Nice honest write up. After test driving an R/T w/STP, I knew that it was plenty enough for me.
To answer your question about "2b.", it's not about weakness. It's about preference.
Reasons being:
2c.-I've had manuals for 20yrs and while sometimes it's very fun, sometimes I don't want to shift.....in fact a lot of times i don't feel like using my left foot to drive.
2d.-A 4000lb torque beast like a Challenger sometimes feels like shifting a truck. I'd rather shift a light little car most of the time.
2e.-I'm a distance runner/racer. I run on avg 50 miles a week every week. My legs enjoy a rest when I get into the car. I don't want/desire the extra wear and tear on my left leg clutching 100x a day.

With all that being said....yes, manuals are more fun.
Manuals are more fun... on a motorcycle! Heh, I really do enjoy the paddle shifters. A lot of the time, I just don't care to do all the shifting and clutch work that a manual requires. Maybe I would if I had more free time to cruise the open roads rather than busy traffic, but I don't. I drove a manual for half a year, and that was enough to know I don't want to live with one lol.

·
Banned
5,786 Posts
Not questioning the op thoughts on regular daily driving, but I 470 ft pounds of torque of the 392 vs the RT has to be noticiable. If the RT feels the same in traffic, I guess count me as a sucker.

·
Premium Member
7,294 Posts
The R/T still has ~410 ft-lbs of torque and is marginally lighter. That is more than enough for me.

I would only buy an SRT if they came out with a true Core model. I mean without automatic headlights, automatic climate control, and the silly touch-screen radio (knobs please). I was hoping the Core would be more like my 27F R/T with the 392.

And come on Dodge, go ahead and put in fog (driving) lights in the Core since I don't like fake (or blank) stuff on my car.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Like the write-up and comparisons. Now you got me wondering about the STP package on the R/T as my car doesn't have it and never drove one with it.

99% of my driving doesn't require me to hit turns at high speeds and I don't track the car so I don't know if it would benefit me to upgrade my suspension although I would like to lower it an inch or so.

·
Registered
2016 Challenger SRT
3,734 Posts
Having owned an R/T Classic with STP and an SRT, I can tell you I'm ALWAYS aware of the difference between them , except when parked waiting for my wife to get out of a store or something. To not notice the difference in brakes, cornering, acceleration, etc. means you haven't actually DRIVEN your SRT! You're merely behind the wheel. Honestly, IMHO, it doesn't seem like you need an SRT. You have no idea what it's capable of doing until you push the limits.:eek:hyeah:

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Agree with this but when push comes to shove, the R/T falls apart dynamically when hammered compared to a SRT. I actually prefer my 13 Classic to the 10 SRT8 I had though, but a part of me wants a Plum Crazy Core still lol.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Having owned an R/T Classic with STP and an SRT, I can tell you I'm ALWAYS aware of the difference between them , except when parked waiting for my wife to get out of a store or something. To not notice the difference in brakes, cornering, acceleration, etc. means you haven't actually DRIVEN your SRT! You're merely behind the wheel. Honestly, IMHO, it doesn't seem like you need an SRT. You have no idea what it's capable of doing until you push the limits.:eek:hyeah:
bingo, you can buy a 660 hp car and drive it like an old lady and not know the difference between it and a 200 hp car.

·
Registered
442 Posts
RT vs SRT

i also upgraded from RT to SRT and had a similar story as long as it involved city driving... where the much superior SRT brakes, suspension, and other performance issues do not come into play. however climb that ramp, hit that pedal make that sweeping turn, or come to a fast stop and then write back....there is a huge difference. that is not to say the RT especially in Plus or classic trim is not an excellent buy....but is no SRT. Actually in city driving a KIA will perform just as well from light to light and 30 to 45 mph traffic and its a better buy than the RT.......and to take it further pedal your bike and you will get thru quicker by just doing what those cyclist do run the red lights and ignore all traffic signals

1 - 20 of 58 Posts