Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
7,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that these models have accumulated considerable miles, how is your 5-spd faring? Did you have to get it rebuilt after x number of miles? What was your dealer experience on this front, if you had the lifetime powertrain warranty?

I'm wondering how they handle the torque convertor clutch part. Did yours start slipping after x miles? I don't *think* mine is slipping, but it's not exactly solid, either. The catch is, I don't recall it ever being utterly solid since new. The powertrain controls are always doing weird stuff to smooth it out, so it is difficult to tell what is within normal behavior. Does the dealer consider this a wearable part that the user will pay to replace, or is it just covered as a part in that lifetime powertrain warranty?

I'm looking ahead as to what to expect. I'm at around 65k mi, right now.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Did you ever change fluid and filter? I know they have long recommended intervals like 100K miles for this but it can't hurt to do it sooner.
I have had vehicles that started "feeling funny" or acting a little strange in the transmission and a pan drop, new fluid and filter made a huge difference.
I would avoid the flush method though. I have seen too many transmissions fail soon after flushing.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
I've got 65K on my 2013 R/T 5AT. Drive it 72 miles daily from March to November and one long road trip from PA to Florida every summer. I use the Auto-stick routinely for downshifting (to slow down in bends on country roads and to slow down at highway speeds for the left-lane hogs and in off ramps). Use the Auto-stick or paddles for up-shifting only once in a while (when I'm "feelin' it").

Absolutely no transmission issues with this car, at all. Been perfect from day 1.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Do not flush an OLD transmission or a potentially or already failing one. Transmission flushes are the best way to keep your good transmission shifting tight for a long time. The pan should also be dropped to see if there is anything in there that shouldn't be. Take care of your car and it will last a long time.

·
Registered
2011 392 SRT, 2010 R/T Classic, 2019 R/T Plus, 2016 SXT Plus
447 Posts
2010 R/T 17K, 2011 SRT 12K - no issues on either.

·
Registered
9,674 Posts
I had 42k on my R/TC A5 before it was totaled. Zero issues with it.

Was planning on a fluid/filter change, but it didn't make it to that. IIRC, the A5 service schedule is 60k miles

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
I had 42k on my R/TC A5 before it was totaled. Zero issues with it.

Was planning on a fluid/filter change, but it didn't make it to that. IIRC, the A5 service schedule is 60k miles
What are you supposed to do at 60K on the 5AT. I'm at 65K (Car in storage for the winter) and haven't had anything done. Is this a Jiffy-Lube thing or something I need to have done at the dealer?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Mine is a 2012 and says 100k. You take it to a transmission shop or the dealer. Dealer around here charges $125 plus fluids.

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
2009 SRT8 - 82,000 miles. Had a sensor in my trans that was acting up when it was very cold, (0F or lower) around 50,000 dealer changed the sensor and I had them change the trans fluid at the same time. No other problems.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Mine is a 2012 and says 100k. You take it to a transmission shop or the dealer. Dealer around here charges $125 plus fluids.
OK, so I checked the 2013 manual and it says 120,000 for A/T fluid and filter (60K for taxi/police/towing etc..)...

However, I noticed that it recommends changing spark-plugs at 30K/60K/90K for the 5.7. WTF? Shame on me for not knowing this. Owning Hondas with 100K spark-plug intervals for the past 10 years has made me "spark-plug" ignorant. Even my 2002 Chevy Avalanche had 100K spark-plugs.

Anyone have advice on spark-plugs? I haven't owned a vehicle long enough to put spark plugs in since my 79 Chevy Pick-up..

·
Registered
9,674 Posts
What are you supposed to do at 60K on the 5AT. I'm at 65K (Car in storage for the winter) and haven't had anything done. Is this a Jiffy-Lube thing or something I need to have done at the dealer?

Mine was a '10, and IIRC, trans service at 60k, and 30k on the plugs.

Changing the plugs at 30k did make a difference. Just a little throttle "snap" came back that had slowly left. Nothing huge, but the engine had that "brand new" feel to it.

·
Super Moderator
16,216 Posts
Now that these models have accumulated considerable miles, how is your 5-spd faring? Did you have to get it rebuilt after x number of miles? What was your dealer experience on this front, if you had the lifetime powertrain warranty?

I'm wondering how they handle the torque convertor clutch part. Did yours start slipping after x miles? I don't *think* mine is slipping, but it's not exactly solid, either. The catch is, I don't recall it ever being utterly solid since new. The powertrain controls are always doing weird stuff to smooth it out, so it is difficult to tell what is within normal behavior. Does the dealer consider this a wearable part that the user will pay to replace, or is it just covered as a part in that lifetime powertrain warranty?

I'd change the ATF+4 at 50K intervals max.

Mercedes (designed these NAG1 / WA580 trannys) used to say "lifetime" which essentially meant, when it crapped out, that tranny was done for.

They've since backed away from that "lifetime" fluid claim and go max of 40K now...

·
Super Moderator
16,216 Posts

Randy -

*your '09 LT powertrain warranty would cover a TCC - its part of the powertrain

*I have an '01 Mercedes with the same tranny - 116K / 17 years old. Works like a champ - do fluid changes every 40K on mine

*I've been running the Blue Top solenoids (AMG versions) since '12 and had 67K on it then when those were installed

Its a robust tranny - only had fluid & filter changes done on a regular basis.

·
Registered
7,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Great affirmative advice, guys! I will look into that fluid change.

So not one person here has experienced a tcc needing replacement? That's astonishing! I mean, that thing's got to wear to the metal "one day", right?

·
Registered
7,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Holy smokes! Check out this scoop I just got...there's an older and newer fluid type with the Dodge transmissions. If the older, the charge for the service is more like what you guys mentioned earlier. If it's the newer type, it's $1200 to get the service done?!? Crazy, right? Evidently the fluid is $85/qt.

Y'all ever hear anything like that?

·
Registered
9,674 Posts
Holy smokes! Check out this scoop I just got...there's an older and newer fluid type with the Dodge transmissions. If the older, the charge for the service is more like what you guys mentioned earlier. If it's the newer type, it's $1200 to get the service done?!? Crazy, right? Evidently the fluid is $85/qt.

Sounds like you read about the A8 service. It's not cheap, but it's rated for "lifetime" use, no service needed.

I'll service mine when it goes BANG................................because I have the Lifetime FCA Warranty. "No service needed"............fine and BANG on their buck! LOL

·
Registered
7,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Geez, I hope so! That fluid might as well be the finest purity sno-cain in a kilo bag, right? ;)

Are you saying the 8-spd's "never" need a fluid change because it is in there for "life" of the transmission?

·
Registered
9,674 Posts
Geez, I hope so! That fluid might as well be the finest purity sno-cain in a kilo bag, right? ;)

Are you saying the 8-spd's "never" need a fluid change because it is in there for "life" of the transmission?

For my '16 SP, it states that "no service required". That's fine with me. :)

·
Registered
7,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Wow! :eek:

·
Super Moderator
16,216 Posts

The ZF 8/9 speed fluid can be found ~ $40 / liter. It's not cheap stuff.
-I've done some poking around on various forums for makes that use ZF 8HPxx trannies - many claim "lifetime" manufacturers but it seems like 50K is the maximum time you want to run fluid.
-there were some posts from engineers within ZF that made that recommendation.

Part of the service (ZF units) is recommending to flush the trans with fresh fluid to get the old stuff out of converter, oil cooler lines, etc., so you're using more fluid that the simple fill. The pan has an integral filter, so the pan/ filter is replaced with a fluid service.

It also requires filling the unit, checking within a temperature range, then re-checking levels to add or remove fluid to get the proper level. So there's more labor time involved with doing this.

Makes the A5 service seem pretty inexpensive compared to the above.

Reactions: 19johned53
1 - 20 of 25 Posts