Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Has anyone experienced clunking noise from P while going into D when first starting the car during in cold weather? sounds like my linkage is getting stuck from its way down from P too D?

·
Registered
958 Posts
yes, my SXT does it when it sits over night and it has been very cold out. It sounds to me like it's in the rear area. It will do it 2x - when I back out intially from P to R and then when I first shift back into D. After that it is fine.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
seems like the linkage seems to tight or it needs some grease lol

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do we have A remedy to fix this annoying problem anyone?

·
Registered
284 Posts
I definitely get some driveline noise when very cold - I was assuming driveline lash somewhere, but it does not appear to be inside the trans... More annoying than anything else - I always assumed it was normal, and I do not intend to do anything with it.

·
Registered
610 Posts
maybe transmision mount or drive shaft mount.. (they look like engine mounts but they are rubber and they keep everything tight

·
Registered
7,683 Posts
I haven't experienced the symptoms in this topic, but I tell ya one thing about the NAG1...after a super cold night and first start-up for the day, it takes slow upshifts or downshifts to a whole new level! :p Talking about an order of seconds, and forget about any sort of useful autostick control.

·
Registered
504 Posts
I only expriance it when really cold, the tranny is not at proper temp and the shift from p to d is harsher. When warm no issues. I have been under my car several times and I can't see any external linkage that would cause that noise.

Good luck

Todd

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Try starting your car in neutral so you get those fluids pumping in the trans, see if that helps!
for those that have drive shaft noise that is a different issue...

·
Registered
721 Posts
I will say that even my 6spd Temec is extremely notchy and hard to shift when's he is super cold.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You think changing the oil in your gear box would help? how many miles?

·
Premium Member
1,818 Posts
I have a six speed R/T but I rent SXT's when I travel for business. The are all A5 and most make this noise when cold

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

1 - 15 of 15 Posts