Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so I bought a challenger srt8 and I noticed that this is a 5 speed manual. I tried checking if maybe it was just damaged but I don’t think it is.
Also the the reverse gear is in the top right corner
My main concern here is that the 5 speed manual will cause issues down the line and I am thinking of just buying a 6 speed and reinstalling it so I can also throw on Barton shifter. Any ideas on what the heck is going on here ?

·
Registered
2009 B5 SRT8 M6
269 Posts
Are you sure its not just a 6 speed you are not driving correctly? Revere on a 6 speed is in the same spot as 5th, you may be trying to shift from 4th to 6th skipping 5th altogether.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes I’ve been driving it correctly I’ve had it for a year already. Many have driven only to find the same thing. The car is a 5 speed it can’t be that all of us are doing it wrong

·
Registered
2009 B5 SRT8 M6
269 Posts
Did you not just say you "so I just bought a challenger srt8"?
based on the photos that is indeed the correct Tremec 6 speed, so it is either broken, or you are not shifting it correctly

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
28,172 Posts
As a reference of the start of this "conversation"

I really have trouble imagining a 5-speed manual with fourth and fifth next to each other. Especially with no pattern on the shift knob, the first time attempting to shift from fourth to where fifth should be it would become evident something was wrong, evident being an understatement. I am having a hard time fathoming this issue

A Guy

·
Registered
16,472 Posts
So this is how my transmission is View attachment 995785
No transmission that I have ever seen has that shift pattern. I'm assuming you have a 6-speed with a mechanical issue. Dodge has never built a 5-speed manual in this generation and if they did, it definitely would not have that shift pattern.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2021 JEEP Wrangler Unlimited Willys 4X4
2,231 Posts
I second that, @Slidd
I‘ve owned several front wheel drive cars and several HD diesel trucks......and none has ever had gear selection as pictured in post #7

·
Registered
2015 Challenger SRT 392
304 Posts
Wild thought. Could this be a right hand drive challenger? I don't know what the gear shifter on a right hand drive car would look like. Not sure where OP is from but wanted to throw that idea out.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
28,172 Posts
I actually thought of that, but they use the same transmissions. Besides, it still wouldn't make sense going from 4th back to 5th back as well. I'm smelling something the Rock isn't cooking...

A Guy

·
Premium Member
2021 JEEP Wrangler Unlimited Willys 4X4
2,231 Posts
Shift patterns don’t change on RHD vehicles....just the arm used to select gears.

·
Registered
2009 B5 SRT8 M6
269 Posts
Its 100% a 6 speed (The picture he posted confirmed that), I am certain he is just skipping 5th and going from 4th to 6th. as I said, he should drive it, and try shifting into 5th while at speed

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Its 100% a 6 speed (The picture he posted confirmed that), I am certain he is just skipping 5th and going from 4th to 6th. as I said, he should drive it, and try shifting into 5th while at speed
i will try that today and see if I have any luck but like I mentioned the car seems fine when driving. Am I able to post vids here ?

·
Premium Member
750 Posts
I'd look at the reverse lockout solenoid, sounds like it's not coming back to the 5th gear position.

Reactions: theblaisez24
1 - 20 of 27 Posts