Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My apologies if this has been covered before. Got a notice in the mail today saying I needed to head into a dealership for a powertrain inspection to keep my lifetime powertrain warranty valid. Wondering what's entailed with this? I have a BBK throttle body and a predator tune, is it necessary to switch those back to stock before heading in for this inspection?

·
Registered
9,272 Posts
Most folks concerned about doing mods that void warranty don't put them on their car in the first place...if it's a warranty voider that is.
And honest customers don't try to hide it if it's a warranty voiding mod.
Besides (I have been told by folks in the know) the service department can tell if you have been running a custom tune even if you return it to stock.

I'd take it in as is and be up front with them (as I'm sure you would expect them to be with you). If there is no evidence or racing or abuse you should be fine.

Reactions: kwoolums67

·
Super Moderator
15,730 Posts
It involves inspecting the driveline (engine, trans, driveshaft, differential) for any visible damage or evidence of fluid leaks.

The fluid levels are checked to if they're at proper levels.

Any damage or leaks must be repaired before the LT Powertrain Warranty inspection can be completed.

Takes about 30 minutes for the inspection - they'll remove the belly pans and put the vehicle on a lift to inspect around.

·
Vendor
12,386 Posts
You have a 60 day window before and after your anniversary date, don't miss it or they will automatically terminate your lifetime power train warranty, there is no excuse, don't miss it
Luke

Reactions: terraform

·
Registered
‘13 Challenger SRT 6M
2,817 Posts
Most folks concerned about doing mods that void warranty don't put them on their car in the first place...if it's a warranty voider that is.
And honest customers don't try to hide it if it's a warranty voiding mod.
Besides (I have been told by folks in the know) the service department can tell if you have been running a custom tune even if you return it to stock.

I'd take it in as is and be up front with them (as I'm sure you would expect them to be with you). If there is no evidence or racing or abuse you should be fine.
So the OP is not honest? He shouldn't have modded his car? I don't think he was looking for that type of "advice".

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
4,224 Posts
terraform is very honest, so much so that he helped me and many others with the dreaded acceleration delay problem M6 R/T owners suffered after our Challengers were reflashed at the dealer with out our consent.

My unmodified R/T ran like total shit after getting it back from my Dodge dealer for a rocker molding warranty claim. It was terraform who figured out the dealers were reflashing our PCM without telling the owners, talk about dishonest! http://www.challengertalk.com/forums/f37/acceleration-delay-34036/index12.html#post997831

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Always best practice to reload the stock tune on the car before you take it to any dealer shop for anything. There are way to many owners who have not and then had the dealer flash the PCM changing/adding/updating something which then kills the custom tune.

As for the throttle body I think it would depend on what size you now have installed. If it is an 87 or 85, which I suspect, then I would not bother changing it out, especially if your dealer is okay with cars that are modded. But if you did larger than an 87 then you should have also done a bunch of other mods to support it which you did not mention.

In either case changing the TB would not have an impact on the power train warranty. But some dealers and the Chrysler warranty department have been known to try and void a warranty over anything whether it is related or not.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone. As I suspected, it's probably worth the effort to just swap back in the stock pieces just to be safe. One other thing - this notice includes a "coupon" from a specific dealer saying the inspection is free with the coupon. Wondering if the inspection is actually free at any dealer? This particular dealership who sent the coupon is on the other side of LA and I'd rather go to a local one if possible.

·
Registered
4,224 Posts
I'll have to check, but I thought I remembered reading in my owner's manual that the required 5 year inspection was free of charge.

·
Premium Member
1,549 Posts
i would return the stock tune just to save the tune from being flashed and your tuner being locked. Not so much to hide anything.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
It is free at any dealer, you shouldn't need an appointment, and only takes about 10 or 15 minutes. Basically they just check fluid levels and look for leaks.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
When I took my 07 ram in for the 5 year check up, I put the stock tune back in it. After the inspection they said the computer showed no codes, and nothing was said about the Magnaflow exhaust. All they said was, the truck is in great condition.

·
Registered
149 Posts
28 years working on Mercedes as a Tech ,I never checked out a car to try to kill it's warranty ,,,, ,,I got payed to do a job and that was it,,No way in hell Im going to chase away my bread and butter,,,,Kids need shoes':bangin:

·
Registered
866 Posts
You have a 60 day window before and after your anniversary date, don't miss it or they will automatically terminate your lifetime power train warranty, there is no excuse, don't miss it
Luke
How about Chrysler does not notify you of this 5-year inspection? I received this letter (see attached) with the purchase of my 2007 Charger. Now, if a dealer runs the vin on my car, it shows a 3/36 warranty & NOT any lifetime powertrain warranty. This letter has 2 dealers stumped right now & they both say they have never seen it before, but it's real. I had no idea there was such a thing as a 5-year inspection, & my dealer that I have all service done at has never said anything, BECAUSE THEY DID NOT KNOW OF THIS!

Well - OK I just read it after posting & it does tell of this inspection required, but I did not notice it when I bought the car. I wonder if my main dealer will vouch for an "inspection?" I take it there for everything.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,224 Posts

(made bigger to see easier)

·
Vendor
12,386 Posts
How about Chrysler does not notify you of this 5-year inspection? I received this letter (see attached) with the purchase of my 2007 Charger. Now, if a dealer runs the vin on my car, it shows a 3/36 warranty & NOT any lifetime powertrain warranty. This letter has 2 dealers stumped right now & they both say they have never seen it before, but it's real. I had no idea there was such a thing as a 5-year inspection, & my dealer that I have all service done at has never said anything, BECAUSE THEY DID NOT KNOW OF THIS!

Well - OK I just read it after posting & it does tell of this inspection required, but I did not notice it when I bought the car. I wonder if my main dealer will vouch for an "inspection?" I take it there for everything.
Chrysler reaches out, post cards, email etc, if your information on their database is correct, they sent the postcards.....the dealer would of also been notified close to the dates on the messages of the VIP when you come in for service
They also update the database several times a year using RL.Polk etc

Chrysler also encourages the dealers to send out postcards and subsidize the cost, attempted to help several customers that goofed and got no where with Chrysler

Luke

·
Premium Member
173 Posts
i would return the stock tune just to save the tune from being flashed and your tuner being locked. Not so much to hide anything.
I would do this as well, unless your car is blown, stroked, cammed, or some other heavy modification A stock tune can cause a lot of issues on heavily modified motors.

·
Registered
7,683 Posts
I've moved (twice) since the purchase of my '09. What do you think is the best way to ensure my correct address is in Dodge's database?

·
Premium Member
472 Posts
My inspection is due as well. I've stuck with Mopar parts as much as possible to try and preserve my warranty, but I am a little concerned. Maybe I should take it in while they still have the Christmas spirit.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts