Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at a car show on June 11, 2017 and spoke to a Dodge rep who was driving a modified 2016 ScatPack. He was basically putting miles on it before the 392 engine is torn down to examine its parts for wear.

He said that the engine in his black shaker car had many one-of-a-kind internals, including new heads. He claimed that it made over 500 hp and could go into production, as soon as next year, if the engineers were satisfied with its durability and performance.

He also said that 2020 would be the last year for the Hemi.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I was at a car show on June 11, 2017 and spoke to a Dodge rep who was driving a modified 2016 ScatPack. He was basically putting miles on it before the 392 engine is torn down to examine its parts for wear.

He said that the engine in his black shaker car had many one-of-a-kind internals, including new heads. He claimed that it made over 500 hp and could go into production, as soon as next year, if the engineers were satisfied with its durability and performance.

Watch the resale value of our Hemi's skyrocket after 2020! Don't sell now if you can hold on...

Attachments

·
Registered
390 Posts

At the crank or rear wheels? I don't think 500 hp is much of a stretch - just 15 more than their current claim.

If my 2011 392 auto is at 434hp/436tq at the rear wheels, what is it at the crank?

Performance wise it has an Arrington CAI, Fastman ported stock size TB, and a 180 tstat. And a dyno tune. I wouldn't call this much.

And I'm pretty sure when the 392's came out they could hit 500 hp but they wanted more lower end torque and sacrificed HP.

Now if it is 500 hp at the rear wheels, I'm all ears.

·
Super Moderator
13,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
At the crank or rear wheels? I don't think 500 hp is much of a stretch - just 15 more than their current claim. If my 2011 392 auto is at 434hp/436tq at the rear wheels, what is it at the crank? Performance wise it has an Arrington CAI, Fastman ported stock size TB, and a 180 tstat. And a dyno tune. I wouldn't call this much. And I'm pretty sure when the 392's came out they could hit 500 hp but they wanted more lower end torque and sacrificed HP. Now if it is 500 hp at the rear wheels, I'm all ears.
He was a little cagey. All he said was that the engine is producing more than 500 hp at the crank and more torque.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Not saying YOU r wrong but think about it. The people that actually work with future projects have confidentiality clauses in their job contracts and would quickly be fired for information like this being shared. Did it have manufacturer plates? If he seemed a little sketchy then he probably was.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,341 Posts
Originally the 6.4 Apache made well over 500 Horsepower. It was actually detuned down to 470 to bring
the torque curve up early and keep it flat. Torque moves weight, HP just sells cars. :)

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
I've heard of guys putting their new 392's on the dyno in stock form and seeing 500 at the crank now. Maybe fake news but I could believe it, or maybe want to. :)

·
Registered
2015 Dodge Challenger R/T Scat Pack
1,189 Posts
My 392 has over 500hp. I swapped the PCM and put a custom tune on it. That's it. 485hp + 25hp = 510hp at the crank. Not that hard to do.

People have been saying Dodge will do away with the Hemi for years. I'll believe it when I see it.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I've been shouted down on this topic before, but I really wished the SRT version of the Challenger would have been made a bit more exclusive with a slight bump in horsepower, say 515 or 525, with a bored and stroked 392 to the famed 426 cubic inches. Not wanting to throw shade, but the 392 can be had in a Scat and the T/A too, so it would have made a nice little spot between those great cars, and the Hellcat and Demon versions. Oh well, I'm proud to be a member of the "Brotherhood" though!

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
I've been shouted down on this topic before, but I really wished the SRT version of the Challenger would have been made a bit more exclusive with a slight bump in horsepower, say 515 or 525, with a bored and stroked 392 to the famed 426 cubic inches. Not wanting to throw shade, but the 392 can be had in a Scat and the T/A too, so it would have made a nice little spot between those great cars, and the Hellcat and Demon versions. Oh well, I'm proud to be a member of the "Brotherhood" though!
I couldn't agree more. It was great marketing though to sell the 392 in the scatpack. It just appeals to a larger group that bought an rt for the nostalgia instead of the srt. Oh well​, great to see that more people can experience a great engine even if it makes mine a little less special. Now if I can just talk my daughter out of college I can get that hellcat lol.

·
Banned
2016 R/T Scat Pack
3,889 Posts
Luxury options not enough for you?

I couldn't agree more. It was great marketing though to sell the 392 in the scatpack. It just appeals to a larger group that bought an rt for the nostalgia instead of the srt. Oh well​, great to see that more people can experience a great engine even if it makes mine a little less special. Now if I can just talk my daughter out of college I can get that hellcat lol.

"Less special"?

That's rather petty to think your car is less special.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Luxury options not enough for you?

"Less special"?

That's rather petty to think your car is less special.
Don't get me wrong praise, yes I have the premium laguna leather seats, 6 piston brembo brakes, srt flat bottomed steering wheel, and performance pages, i'm just talking horsepower. With options comes weight, and those nice seats wont get me down the track any faster.

·
Banned
2016 R/T Scat Pack
3,889 Posts
Don't get me wrong praise, yes I have the premium laguna leather seats, 6 piston brembo brakes, srt flat bottomed steering wheel, and performance pages, i'm just talking horsepower. With options comes weight, and those nice seats wont get me down the track any faster.
I mean, the T/A is the more track oriented trim anyways...

I hear there's this new big boy on the block, they call it the "Demon".

·
Registered
6,341 Posts
Understand the 392 was special. How do you think the 6.1 owners felt when the 392 came out? I had a guy
stop me at Sheetz and go off on me about how buying a 6.1 was a mistake because the engine was weak
and the car was slow and the 392 was the engine it should have had all along. He eventually traded his
6.1 in on a Toxic Orange just like mine after seeing mine. And remember there was no ScatPack with the
392 for the first few years of the 392.

Doesn't bother me none that the Scat Pack has it... The Scat Pack isn't exactly "cheap" to purchase.

·
Registered
303 Posts
My 392 has over 500hp. I swapped the PCM and put a custom tune on it. That's it. 485hp + 25hp = 510hp at the crank. Not that hard to do.

People have been saying Dodge will do away with the Hemi for years. I'll believe it when I see it.
All you did was a custom tune and got 25hp? Wow, I didn't think there was that much available from just a tune without other mods. Who did the tune? Is another PCM necessary or did you just want to save the original PCM (untouched) in the event of a dealer service visit?

1 - 20 of 54 Posts